Vireo & GPUs (nVidia Optimus)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Norb
One Eyed Hopeful

Vireo & GPUs (nVidia Optimus)

Post by Norb »

Apologies if this has been asked or answered before, still learning and a quick search here and the wiki didn't turn up an answer.

I'm using a laptop running Windows 7 with an nVidia 680m as my Oculus machine and am having difficulties getting it to use the proper GPU in conjunction with Vireo Perception. For example Mirror's Edge will use the proper GPU until I toggle Physx in the options to get Perception to hook in, after that it stops using the 680m and switches to the integrated graphics. Skyrim behaves the same way, with the Perception application open, running SkyrimLauncher.exe doesn't detect the nvidia GPU unless I force it to use it. In that case it then detects the proper GPU, but the game still won't use it when it runs (as confirmed by the GPU monitor).

If I don't run the perception application at all but instead just place the three .dll's into the games directory, we have the same behavior - only the Intel integrated graphics are used.

I've tried running the Perception utility as admin and assigned both its .exe and .dlls, and the game .exe's, to use the nvidia GPU in the control panel to no avail. As soon as it hooks in it the game switches to the integrated graphics and won't let go!

If anyone has any ideas or anything I could try I'd appreciate it! Unfortunately disabling Optimus entirely doesn't seem to be an option.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Vireo & GPUs (nVidia Optimus)

Post by cybereality »

I have a laptop with Optimus. I believe I was able to run Perception on the GPU. I don't think I needed to do anything fancy besides setting Nvidia GPU on as the default. However, this won't work when outputting to a secondary monitor (like the Rift). The way Optimus works only the Intel GPU is attached to the video output port, so you can't use the GPU for another display (at least with the Lenovo Y570). Not sure if that is your problem or not.
Norb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Norb »

cybereality wrote:I have a laptop with Optimus. I believe I was able to run Perception on the GPU. I don't think I needed to do anything fancy besides setting Nvidia GPU on as the default. However, this won't work when outputting to a secondary monitor (like the Rift). The way Optimus works only the Intel GPU is attached to the video output port, so you can't use the GPU for another display (at least with the Lenovo Y570). Not sure if that is your problem or not.
Thanks for the reply!

I am cloning the desktop currently, with the Rift plugged into the HDMI port on the laptop (MSI GT60 0NE), but even if I don't have the Rift plugged in at all and am just using the regular laptop display, by running Perception or placing the three .dll's in the game directory, my system stubbornly only uses the Intel GPU. Without perception, I can output single display (tried both laptop and rift) or cloned, and the nvidia GPU turns right on.

I've gone through the control panel and thrown every file I can think of that's even remotely associated with Perception or the game into the "use Nvidia GPU" setting to no avail. It could be my machine is possessed, toying with me, trying to slowly drive me mad.

This really isn't a terribly big deal though, anything Rift-ready (TF2, any of SDK demos, etc...) all work fine with the nvidia GPU so I have plenty to demo for people and play around with. Showing some folks tomorrow in fact, somehow managed to fit the Hydra into the Oculus case so it's a nice portable kit of VR awesomocity.

Until someone else has a similar problem (which, as more kits are getting out there, we'll find out) this could just be chalked up to a PEBKAC issue or something weird about my system. I'll stick to my desktop when it comes to Perception stuff for now.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Would it be possible for you to disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS?
Norb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Norb »

drgroove101 wrote:Would it be possible for you to disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS?
Unfortunately I just checked and it doesn't appear so, at least not with the revision I have. Checked the MSI website and it doesn't seem like their latest update for this laptop addresses that function either.

Good idea though.
zain8noah
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zain8noah »

Hey I'm new to this but i've been having the same problem where i will nvidia control panel force the nvidia gpu on the launcher and engine but it will only use integrated, this is so annoying as i don't want to have to lower my settings for the VR experience

Return to “Development / General Discussion”