xsens MTi interial sensor on ebay

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
visioneering2012
One Eyed Hopeful

xsens MTi interial sensor on ebay

Post by visioneering2012 »

Hi guys,

During my research I found this on ebay.
We had one of these at my University and it was extremely accurate. They were using this in a fusion sensor configuration. If my memory serves me right, the software developers kit was pretty easy to use.
Looks like a pretty good deal considering it's the high end version of their sensors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290902873331?ss ... 1555.l2649

Cheers,

Fred
Krenzo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: xsens MTi interial sensor on ebay

Post by Krenzo »

Can you elaborate as to why this costs over 10x as much as a typical IMU?
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

The XSens magic seems to lie in the software when it's part of a multi-sensor MoCap suit. A single sensor on its own would be of limited use, and no one in their right mind would buy it unless they actually needed that particular device.
visioneering2012
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by visioneering2012 »

Can you elaborate as to why this costs over 10x as much as a typical IMU?

The XSens magic seems to lie in the software when it's part of a multi-sensor MoCap suit. A single sensor on its own would be of limited use, and no one in their right mind would buy it unless they actually needed that particular device.

Seriously? Ok, for starters, someone that requires a robust MEMS sensor such as a University working with simulations, dead reckoning, virtual reality, augmented reality applications, robotics, Sensor fusion applications, and autonomous vehicles use the Xsens sensors all the time. A "typical" IMU will not cut it!
All these applications can be done with one sensor! :roll:

Maybe someone here has an Xsens MTi already and needs another. :o

The magic is not only in the software, it's also the hardware. Most MEM's introduce a drift and accumulated error, including Abbe error. We did a lot of test
against "typical" MEM sensors and most had a lot of issues with fast & bumpy movements and vibrations.. The xsens MTi past these test with flying colors and was one of the most robust.
I had the same opinion before doing all the test. You essentially get what you pay for.

Let me know if you find a "Typical" IMU that can provide the following features.

Full Scale Acceleration 18g
Full Scale of Turn 1200 deg/s
Real-time computed attitude/heading and inertial dynamic data
360º orientation referenced by gravity and Earth Magnetic Field
Integrated 3D gyroscopes, accelerometers and magnetometers
On board DSP, running sensor fusion algorithm
Gyroscopes enable high-frequency orientation tracking
High update rate (120 Hz), inertial data processing at max 512 Hz
Individually calibrated for temperature, 3D misalignment and sensor cross-sensitivity
Accepts and generates synchronization pulses
Low weight, ultra-low power consumption
CA-USB2 USB Cable
Suitcase MTi DK
MT Software Development Kit
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

visioneering2012 wrote:Let me know if you find a "Typical" IMU that can provide the following features.

Full Scale Acceleration 18g
Full Scale of Turn 1200 deg/s
Real-time computed attitude/heading and inertial dynamic data
360º orientation referenced by gravity and Earth Magnetic Field
Integrated 3D gyroscopes, accelerometers and magnetometers
On board DSP, running sensor fusion algorithm
Gyroscopes enable high-frequency orientation tracking
High update rate (120 Hz), inertial data processing at max 512 Hz
Individually calibrated for temperature, 3D misalignment and sensor cross-sensitivity
Accepts and generates synchronization pulses
Low weight, ultra-low power consumption
CA-USB2 USB Cable
Suitcase MTi DK
MT Software Development Kit
Aside from things like the MT SDK, the Oculus Rift tracker beats it all around. It can report raw data or sensor-fused orientation, and it is more than 8x as fast as this sensor. The new Hillcrest Labs modules have better specs, too.

There may be things that this MTi unit does better (Built in sensor fusion, or their SDK), but the hardware is definitely inferior to other systems on the market. Perhaps the advantages are worth the extra cost to someone.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”