Wiimote Nunchuk Support

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
zer0
One Eyed Hopeful

Wiimote Nunchuk Support

Post by zer0 »

Hello everyone!

I'm not very good at this kind of thing myself, but I'd really like full wiimote support in FreePIE.

There's a lot of great developments being done, but not much in the department of wiimotes.
Honestly the wiimote alone without motion support is a little useless, it has few buttons and no joystick. Nunchuk support at least would make it a functional controller.

I know I'm asking for a lot, but I think you guys are doing great work and I need to escape the buggy mess that is GlovePIE.

Thank you for your time and help!

(Also automatic pairing would be nice, but I don't know how difficult that would be to accomplish)
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Wiimote Nunchuk Support

Post by CyberVillain »

We (Mostly CyberRascal) is working hard on 'Full' Wiimote support

We will have m+ support both for old and integrated motes, Nunchuk and eventually IR too. We will not support any other extensions out of the box, but CyberRascal is working on making the lib modular so that you can extend it easily.

Its moving slow because the wii protocol is anything but user friendly, so please bear with us
zer0
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zer0 »

That's good to hear Cybervillain.

It's much better to take your time and get it right than to rush a release that doesn't work properly.

Keep up the good work!
CyberRascal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CyberRascal »

I'd like to give a brief explanation of the current status of Wiimote support :)

Knowing that wiimote support would require extensive development, I decided to create a completely new library and then use that in Freepie. The library name is DolphiimoteDolphiimote.

Currently, it supports buttons, acceleration, motionplus and nunchuck (buttons, acceleration, stick).

It does not support motionplus and nunchuck at the same time, since that requires specific code to handle, but will in the future.

Right now I am working on integrating Freepie with this library.

The main tasks left for that is:

1) calibration of the different inputs
2) scaling/transformation into usable values (rad/s or m/s^2, or similar).

Any question or input is appreciated :) I'll upload a test as soon as I have one that is usable.

Cheers.

Return to “FreePIE”