Minecrift Discussion Thread

Jademalo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Rudimentary Minecraft Rift Support - Is it feasible?

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote:
Mystify wrote:
Mindvent wrote:haha Notch just retweeted a YouTube vid with a link to this forum post! :D
Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RN7PD2qiJE
Damn that is an awesome video! Now I really want my Rift! :D

Nice mod Jademalo! ;-)

Edit: Sorry Jade, I can't even spell your name correctly!

Haha, I sent him a message asking him to change the description to attribute you =]
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

I recommend this in the Readme file, but I'll repeat it here because it's quite useful. If you get a black screen on login, trying running an admin command prompt, cd to your minecraft.exe dir and enter the command

>java -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

This will run Minecraft from the commandline, allowing you to see the errors. Post any exception messages your receive. If you've used 7zip to drag and drop the minecraft files into the jar, and deleted the META-INF, the most likely issues will be with either Minecraft being unable to find the JRiftLibrary dlls, (copy them both into Windows/System32 dir), or not being able to 'run' the dlls (the Visual Studio 2012 redist packages need to be installed).
vanti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vanti »

StellaArtois wrote:I recommend this in the Readme file, but I'll repeat it here because it's quite useful. If you get a black screen on login, trying running an admin command prompt, cd to your minecraft.exe dir and enter the command

>java -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

This will run Minecraft from the commandline, allowing you to see the errors. Post any exception messages your receive. If you've used 7zip to drag and drop the minecraft files into the jar, and deleted the META-INF, the most likely issues will be with either Minecraft being unable to find the JRiftLibrary dlls, (copy them both into Windows/System32 dir), or not being able to 'run' the dlls (the Visual Studio 2012 redist packages need to be installed).
It was a PEBKAC Layer 8 issue (user error). I must have deleted the META-INF in the wrong file or something :) Now it's working!

By the way the command prompt does not have to be elevated. In fact if you elevate the command prompt to admin when your user is not admin it will run as a different user and use the minecraft data from that users %appdata% instead. :)
Kajos
Cross Eyed!

Post by Kajos »

StellaArtois wrote:
Kajos, does this occur randomly (like a texture loading 'hitch') or is it relatively reproducible in that it occurs when your head is in a similar orientation each time?
It's pretty reproducible; it happens every minute or so, I have the feeling it has something to do with the body head coupling (but I'm not sure).
StellaArtois wrote: If you run without the Rift on, and run in windowed mode, resize the window you'll see the left pane has areas of the screen that have not been written to (are plain white). You then have to move the view around to 'wipe over' these uninitialised areas. If you turn off distortion (i.e. don't use an FBO) this doesn't occur.

Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong with my FBO initialisation? I'm assuming it's some Open GL blend state or similiar that I'm not setting up correctly when I create the new (resized) FBO?
Seems like you are drawing to a white cleared framebuffer and the pixels are resulting because they are not being written too (due to rounding possibly). Try clearing the framebuffer with a black color.

EDIT: Also there seems some jitterness when I'm playing, I think it's the left and right eye flipping/reversing. Anyhow, thanks for making this possible; it's pretty awesome to view Minecraft in VR, seems like a very well suited game for the Rift.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Using the shortcut ctrl+O causes minecraft to freeze, and all other chortcuts appear to do nothing. Quitting the game will also result in a freeze.

Other than that, it works very well. Head-tracking and distortion are spot on, though the UI is too tall (this may just be a display bug, the areas in which the cursor selects UI elements appears disconnected from the elements themselves, and about the right size).
Vaecon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vaecon »

Jademalo wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:
Damn that is an awesome video! Now I really want my Rift! :D

Nice mod Jademalo! ;-)

Edit: Sorry Jade, I can't even spell your name correctly!

Haha, I sent him a message asking him to change the description to attribute you =]
Sorry about that :P Didn't realize at first it was a different person coding it even though I saw the post from a seperate person. Changed now :)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Kajos wrote:Seems like you are drawing to a white cleared framebuffer and the pixels are resulting because they are not being written too (due to rounding possibly). Try clearing the framebuffer with a black color.
Thanks for that. It wasn't quite that, but looking in the same area in the code I noticed a glColorMask call was missed!

Edit: FFS typos
Last edited by StellaArtois on Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Next build 0.17. I suggest you save build 0.16, just try this for a prototype 3D GUI. Comments and suggestions welcomed; I'll probably tone down the opaqueness on some menus.
Minecrift_0_17_alpha.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

StellaArtois wrote:Next build 0.17. I suggest you save build 0.16, just try this for a prototype 3D GUI. Comments and suggestions welcomed; I'll probably tone down the opaqueness on some menus.
Minecrift_0_17_alpha.zip
I think i sent you a PM by accident, but posting here again just in case.

Build 0.17 seems to crash on startup for me (all the other builds have worked so far for me).
I start with a clean minecraft.jar each time and rebuilt this one twice just to be sure.

Here is the crashlog:

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// Oops.

Time: 5/8/13 5:35 PM
Description: Unexpected error

java.lang.NullPointerException
at bfq.updateCameraAndRender(EntityRenderer.java:1071)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.K(Minecraft.java:899)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:788)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- System Details --
Details:
Minecraft Version: 1.5.2
Operating System: Windows 8 (amd64) version 6.2
Java Version: 1.7.0_11, Oracle Corporation
Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
Memory: 431012472 bytes (411 MB) / 514523136 bytes (490 MB) up to 954466304 bytes (910 MB)
JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xms512m -Xmx1024m
AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used
Suspicious classes: [de.fruitfly.ovr.IOculusRift, OculusRift, HMDInfo]
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
LWJGL: 2.4.2
OpenGL: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series GL version 4.2.12002 Compatibility Profile Context 9.12.0.0, ATI Technologies Inc.
Is Modded: Very likely; Jar signature invalidated
Type: Client (map_client.txt)
Texture Pack: Default
Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
Vec3 Pool Size: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null

P.S. Oculus Get this man a Rift!!
vanti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vanti »

I've been playing for ~3 hours with 0.16 now. Apart from having to take off the Rift every time I open inventory or crafting it is quite usable. Getting that fixed,a HUD working and heads on players and this one is pretty much ready to go. :)

I do notice there is a slight lag in the head tracking compared to TF2 and the HL2-mod. Are you using the prediction stuff?
tmek wrote:P.S. Oculus Get this man a Rift!!
More like Notch should make a hire and send one of their Rifts :)
AdaQmmm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaQmmm »

Hey StellaArtois, despite my best efforts i cannot get it to open up correctly :\ Any advice?
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

I tried 0.17, didn't work. After starting Minecraft.exe and logging in, I get a dirt screen and nothing else.

In the command window:

Code: Select all

java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_6_has_been_released
.flag
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown So
urce)
        at kn.a(SourceFile:234)
        at bkg.run(SourceFile:113)
2013-05-08 18:13:51 [CLIENT] [INFO] Stopping!

SoundSystem shutting down...
    Author: Paul Lamb, www.paulscode.com

Destroying Oculus Rift device interface.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

0.17 worked for me, and i LOVE IT. Here are some screenshots. For those that it didn't work for here is what I did.

1) Previous version was 0.16
2) Downloaded and unzipped 0.17
3) Opened minecraft.jar in my AppData like normal
4) Dragged the files from Minecrift_0_17_alpha\minecraft to the open jar file
5) DID NOT update the JRiftlibrary.dll's
6) Loaded and it worked, made screenshots

Edit: Well i closed out and went back in and now it stops working....gah :( such a tease

Edit 2: Okay figured it out. If you unplug the USB from the Rift control box, load the game it will get past the dirt screen. Choose your world then plug it back in. This worked for me and i'm back in but maybe without head tracking...will need to test that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by defactoman on Wed May 08, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

are you able to read the menus easy enough? does the 3d look correct in the rift?
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Dycus wrote:I tried 0.17, didn't work. After starting Minecraft.exe and logging in, I get a dirt screen and nothing else.

In the command window:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_6_has_been_released
.flag
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown So
urce)
        at kn.a(SourceFile:234)
        at bkg.run(SourceFile:113)
2013-05-08 18:13:51 [CLIENT] [INFO] Stopping!

SoundSystem shutting down...
    Author: Paul Lamb, www.paulscode.com

Destroying Oculus Rift device interface.
Getting the exact same Exception. What am I doing wrong?
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

defactoman wrote:0.17 worked for me, and i LOVE IT. Here are some screenshots. For those that it didn't work for here is what I did.
I tried the steps you mentioned, defactoman. (I started with a working build of 0.16 then just copied in the 0.17 files into minecraft.jar). But it still doesn't work for me.

Are you running on Windows 7 or Windows 8? It seems most of us running Windows 8 have had it lock up when we try to do things like press CTRL-O to reset the Rift and when we exit the game. This may be a similar situation where the lockups do not occur under Windows 7, except in build 0.17 whatever is causing the lockup is happening right after login.

EDIT: also if you could, post a screenshot of you at a crafting bench please! :)
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Okay as soon as I posted it worked, I closed out and restarted and now it won't load past the dirt screen. But in the few moment's it worked the menu was clear. As you can see in the screenshots it had a colored background.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Okay to get it to work try this:

1) Unplug the USB cable from the rift control box
2) Load up, notice it works
3) Choose your world then plug it back in.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

As requested a pic of the workbench. The mouse cursor is gone so I couldn't see where my mouse was. It looks GREAT :)

Unfortunately head tracking isn't working :(

Edit: After playing it for about 10 minutes I did notice a faint crosshair while in my inventory that showed up that lined up in 3D properly. The UI is frozen in place so I had to rotate with the mouse to see it. The UI was very sharp and very usable (once it was in view)

Edit 2: I am also able to quit the game now without it freezing up the program and requiring me to end-task on it.
Last edited by defactoman on Wed May 08, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Yeah, that gets the game started for me too, but no headtracking. Looks pretty cool, though!
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

I was able to get it started as you suggested, thanks!

Here are some screenshots. This is excellent, StellaA.

The GUI appears to float about half a meter (half a block) in front of your face. I was able to go through all the menus and couldn't find anything i wouldn't be able to do with this setup.

I was even able to read the console and chat log! So excellent!

Thanks again for your efforts, StellaArtois.

Here's my list of minor issues I noticed
#1 (biggest issue) bug causing crash/lockup right after login (can be avoided by unpluging Oculus Rift USB, but of course then theres no head tracking)
#2 The health and hunger icons don't seem to be showing properly.
#3 The slightly opaque panels around the GUI elements should just be 100% transparent if possible (i think you probably just have this there for debugging)
#4 (now i'm getting into nit-picky territory) When in GUIs the crosshair cursor can be very hard to see at times. (some sort of blending or transparency going on maybe?) the ideal would a completely opaque traditional arrow cursor drawn in white with a black outline.

Since I was unable to test headtracking I would just add that head tracking needs to still be active when you are in a menu, crafting bench or have pulled up the console (i.e. always) so you can aim your head to bring a whatever specific part of the UI you want to look at clearly into the center of your view. I seem to recall in 0.16 that when i would pull up the console by pressing ENTER head tracking would be frozen.

I noticed another VERY minor issue. I only mention it here because it's a very interesting problem that other developers may run into and one I hadn't thought about before and it *may* just be my imagination. I see that you have hidden the hardware cursor and are drawing your own cursor so that it appears in the "right" spot after warping. However this seems to have a minor side-effect of when you move your physical mouse forward and back on your mouse pad, the cursor inside the oculus rift, follows a slightly curved pattern (especially as the cursor is closer to the edges of the FOV since it's being warped). I guess the solution to this is to apply the same warping math to the mouse X,Y input before it goes to the game so that moving squarely on your mousepad also has the cursor movement feel "square" on the screen.
AdaQmmm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaQmmm »

After adding everything that needs to be added i've run into this error, anyone else get the same thing?

defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Copy the JRiftLibrary64.dll (and the non 64 one) to your c:\windows\system32 directory the path doesnt seem to work
AdaQmmm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaQmmm »

Defactoman, i could kiss you! ;)
Cheers mate! Now all i need is a Rift ha!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Guys, many thanks for your input again. Some great feedback! :-)

I'm a bit short on time this morning, so excuse the rush. With 0.17 I tried to get head track working with the menus, but missed a null pointer issue (lack of rift is still a pain in those scenarios). Hopefully the crash is fixed. Hopefully head tracking is working now in 0.18, but let me know:
Minecrift_0_18_alpha.zip
Be sure to copy over the new dlls to Windows/System32 as well, there are changes that *may* fix the crash on Ctrl-O, exit etc. But again I can't test so who knows!
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Copied over the new DLLs and installed .18. I was able to load with headtracking working again woot.

Some quick notes before bed:
-> "action bar" UI seems to be locked in a better place and moves with the view YAY. Surrounding transparency still visible giving it a slight haze effect.

-> Tried to click on items in the inventory however while they would highlight (and display what it was) when the crosshairs were over them, clicking either mouse button would have no effect. It seems while it is visually lining up, the actual mouse position is somewhere else. I noticed the one time i got a menu item to work (options) it clicked into something else (achievements)
Edit: It seems everything with the mouse lines up if i leave it in windowed mode at the resolution it starts in (i'm not sure off hand at the moment what that resolution is i can probably find out later today). Any adjustment after that to full screen windowed (or non) to the OR 1280x800 it moves off scale from there.

-> Inventory and Crafting screens are very readable now (mouse alignment/clicking and orientation issues aside)

-> Air bar was visible and could see it decrease when playing underwater

-> Control O crashed the one time i tried it.
Last edited by defactoman on Thu May 09, 2013 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Hey Stella what order # is your Rift?
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

defactoman wrote:Copied over the new DLLs and installed .18. I was able to load with headtracking working again woot.
Excellent! So does head tracking work in all menus?
defactoman wrote: Some quick notes before bed:
-> "action bar" UI seems to be locked in a better place and moves with the view YAY. Surrounding transparency still visible giving it a slight haze effect.
The surrounding transparency is intentional; I prefer it, but looks like others may not. Anyhow, I'll add a option to enable / disable it.
defactoman wrote: -> Tried to click on items in the inventory however while they would highlight (and display what it was) when the crosshairs were over them, clicking either mouse button would have no effect. It seems while it is visually lining up, the actual mouse position is somewhere else. I noticed the one time i got a menu item to work (options) it clicked into something else (achievements)
Edit: It seems everything with the mouse lines up if i leave it in windowed mode at the resolution it starts in (i'm not sure off hand at the moment what that resolution is i can probably find out later today). Any adjustment after that to full screen windowed (or non) to the OR 1280x800 it moves off scale from there.
Hmmm, ok. I'm fixing the draw scale of the window, but that's not in-sync with the scale of mouse input at some resolutions evidently. Ok. Does all go OK on full screen if you have your GUI size set to large?
defactoman wrote: -> Inventory and Crafting screens are very readable now (mouse alignment/clicking and orientation issues aside)

-> Air bar was visible and could see it decrease when playing underwater

-> Control O crashed the one time i tried it.
Ok, so the crash on exit / re-init isn't fixed. That may have to wait until I get my Rift.

Haven't yet worked out why I'm losing the health bar hearts etc. I also need to constrain the mouse pointer so that it doesn't get lost off of the edge of the GUI. This is probably more of an issue in windowed mode, which is unlikely to be used for the Rift!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

mattyeatsmatts wrote:Hey Stella what order # is your Rift?
439XX, to the UK. Status: 'Ready'. Early/mid June I'm assuming.
Kajos
Cross Eyed!

Post by Kajos »

@StellaArtois Did you change anything in the JRift library? If not, I can use your 64 bit build (don't have VS installed myself atm).
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Kajos wrote:@StellaArtois Did you change anything in the JRift library? If not, I can use your 64 bit build (don't have VS installed myself atm).
Yes, I need to update the JRift git hub repos. Let me do that, then it'll be great if you can check it out!
Kajos
Cross Eyed!

Post by Kajos »

StellaArtois wrote:
Kajos wrote:@StellaArtois Did you change anything in the JRift library? If not, I can use your 64 bit build (don't have VS installed myself atm).
Yes, I need to update the JRift git hub repos. Let me do that, then it'll be great if you can check it out!
Awesome, thanks!
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

Tried this briefly last night, looking very good so far Keep up the good work!
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

I tried without a Rift and it appears to be working. I will not have my Rift for a couple of weeks at least though :(
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Kajos wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:
Awesome, thanks!
Ok, here's a JRift zip. I'll break the github repo if I add these changes currently - they depend on a custom Oculus lib.
JRift.zip
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

where abouts in the UK are you? I'm in Windsor and although I'm 98xx so still not processing, if I get mine earlier than you, you could borrow it for a bit.. maybe some other kind UK rifter that is also a minecraft nut might be able to do the same a bit earlier?
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

mrklaw wrote:where abouts in the UK are you? I'm in Windsor and although I'm 98xx so still not processing, if I get mine earlier than you, you could borrow it for a bit.. maybe some other kind UK rifter that is also a minecraft nut might be able to do the same a bit earlier?
Very kind offer mate! Near Oxford, so that's especially doable :-)
Kimani
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kimani »

vanti wrote:Hi and awesome work!
I can't get it to load but I guess this is mostly due to me being new to Minecraft. As soon as I modify the minecraft.jar it refuses to load and just says "Done Loading" with progress bar near the end. Googling makes it seem this is somewhat of a standard issue with minecraft but only way I can get it to load is to revert to unmodified minecraft.jar
First I missed removing the META-INF but even after removing it I have this issue. Anyone has any clues or tips?
I got stuck here for a while as well. My problem was that my process of doing this was:

- Unzip everything to a folder called "mc"
- Replace files, delete META-INF
- Right-click "mc" folder, make a zip using 7zip
- Rename the new zip to minecraft.jar

The problem was that then in the minecraft.jar file, the root level just had the "mc" folder in it, not all the class files and stuff -_- Perhaps your problem is similar?

Anyway, I'm getting stuck now with the same problem Ohverture is having:

C:\Games\Minecraft>java -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.VerifyError: (class: net/minecraft/client/Minecraft, method: K signature: ()V) Incompatible argument to function
        at net.minecraft.client.MinecraftApplet.init(SourceFile:38)
        at net.minecraft.Launcher.replace(Launcher.java:143)
        at net.minecraft.Launcher$1.run(Launcher.java:87)
Anyone else having problems here? Ohverture said he fixed this by using a different program to build the jar. I tried 7zip, Winrar, and the built in Windows zip unzipping and zipping stuff.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Are you using a vanilla Minecraft.jar? Or does it already have mods installed? I can only 'guarantee' it will work if you are running a vanilla 1.5.2. Otherwise all bets are off. The error you show means that one class expects another class function with a different method signature to the one it's found.
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

Kimani wrote:
vanti wrote:Hi and awesome work!
I can't get it to load but I guess this is mostly due to me being new to Minecraft. As soon as I modify the minecraft.jar it refuses to load and just says "Done Loading" with progress bar near the end. Googling makes it seem this is somewhat of a standard issue with minecraft but only way I can get it to load is to revert to unmodified minecraft.jar
First I missed removing the META-INF but even after removing it I have this issue. Anyone has any clues or tips?
I got stuck here for a while as well. My problem was that my process of doing this was:

- Unzip everything to a folder called "mc"
- Replace files, delete META-INF
- Right-click "mc" folder, make a zip using 7zip
- Rename the new zip to minecraft.jar

The problem was that then in the minecraft.jar file, the root level just had the "mc" folder in it, not all the class files and stuff -_- Perhaps your problem is similar?

Anyway, I'm getting stuck now with the same problem Ohverture is having:

C:\Games\Minecraft>java -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.VerifyError: (class: net/minecraft/client/Minecraft, method: K signature: ()V) Incompatible argument to function
        at net.minecraft.client.MinecraftApplet.init(SourceFile:38)
        at net.minecraft.Launcher.replace(Launcher.java:143)
        at net.minecraft.Launcher$1.run(Launcher.java:87)
Anyone else having problems here? Ohverture said he fixed this by using a different program to build the jar. I tried 7zip, Winrar, and the built in Windows zip unzipping and zipping stuff.
It really is easier simply dragging the required files (so not the Minecraft folder, but its contents) into minecraft.jar, opened using WinRAR.

If you, for whatever reason, don't want to do that, you can re-create the jar file not by zipping your "mc" folder, but select everything inside (files and folders), right click and zip. That'll put all files in the root of the zip file.

Return to “Minecrift”