Minecrift Discussion Thread

StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Rudimentary Minecraft Rift Support - Is it feasible?

Post by StellaArtois »

vanti wrote:I do notice there is a slight lag in the head tracking compared to TF2 and the HL2-mod. Are you using the prediction stuff?
Hmmm, not sure. Only if it's on by default in the Oculus libs. I'll check. EDIT: No, not using predictive tracking. Is anyone else noticing laggy headtracking on their setups?
Last edited by StellaArtois on Thu May 09, 2013 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kajos
Cross Eyed!

Post by Kajos »

hellodeibu wrote:
It really is easier simply dragging the required files (so not the Minecraft folder, but its contents) into minecraft.jar, opened using WinRAR.

If you, for whatever reason, don't want to do that, you can re-create the jar file not by zipping your "mc" folder, but select everything inside (files and folders), right click and zip. That'll put all files in the root of the zip file.
Isn't it supposed to be a rar file with a jar extension?
vanti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vanti »

StellaArtois wrote:
vanti wrote:I do notice there is a slight lag in the head tracking compared to TF2 and the HL2-mod. Are you using the prediction stuff?
Hmmm, not sure. Only if it's on by default in the Oculus libs. I'll check. EDIT: No, not using predictive tracking. Is anyone else noticing laggy headtracking on their setups?
Ok then that's probably why it felt a bit lagging. I got used to it after a while but it sort of feels like the world swings about if you move the head fast. Id say the lag is probably not more than what is inherent to the hardware. From trying other things with the Oculus the prediction really does seem to help to reduce the perceived lag.

Nice to see you got work done on the menus and inventory/crafting so quickly. Can't wait to try it out! Great work!

Another thing I noticed was that while sleeping in game I lost headtracking which is really uncomfortable unless you keep your head perfectly still. :)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Make sure you guys are actually getting decent framerates. You can see this on the debug menu (F3). Minecraft may look simple, but it can actually be actually quite a resource hog. Turning down the view distance has the biggest impact on performance, if you're struggling.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

Kajos wrote:
hellodeibu wrote:
It really is easier simply dragging the required files (so not the Minecraft folder, but its contents) into minecraft.jar, opened using WinRAR.

If you, for whatever reason, don't want to do that, you can re-create the jar file not by zipping your "mc" folder, but select everything inside (files and folders), right click and zip. That'll put all files in the root of the zip file.
Isn't it supposed to be a rar file with a jar extension?
No, it's a zip file with the jar extension :).
vanti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vanti »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Make sure you guys are actually getting decent framerates. You can see this on the debug menu (F3). Minecraft may look simple, but it can actually be actually quite a resource hog. Turning down the view distance has the biggest impact on performance, if you're struggling.
I just checked and I get about 124 fps while standing on my local hilltop looking out over the world. From what I understand minecraft is bound mostly by CPU and RAM so an i7 with 16 Gb RAM running 64-bit Java is probably quite optimal.

The lag felt quite similar to some other demos that did not seem to use the prediction. The hardware has some lag in it so you need the prediction to overcome that. Others use about 0.03 - 0.04 s prediction I believe.
mrklaw
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mrklaw »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Make sure you guys are actually getting decent framerates. You can see this on the debug menu (F3). Minecraft may look simple, but it can actually be actually quite a resource hog. Turning down the view distance has the biggest impact on performance, if you're struggling.

does this work ok without a rift attached, just to check framerates etc? I get about 200fps on my gaming PC so should'nt be an issue.

and will it sit nicely on its own without messing with a normal install? I have a vanilla minecraft plus a minecraft launcher app for things like technic packs etc.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

vanti wrote:The lag felt quite similar to some other demos that did not seem to use the prediction. The hardware has some lag in it so you need the prediction to overcome that. Others use about 0.03 - 0.04 s prediction I believe.
Interesting. I feel another option appearing in a build at some point.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

mrklaw wrote:

does this work ok without a rift attached, just to check framerates etc? I get about 200fps on my gaming PC so should'nt be an issue.

and will it sit nicely on its own without messing with a normal install? I have a vanilla minecraft plus a minecraft launcher app for things like technic packs etc.
F3 debug menu works just fine without a rift. I use it all the time!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Kajos wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:
Kajos wrote:@StellaArtois Did you change anything in the JRift library? If not, I can use your 64 bit build (don't have VS installed myself atm).
Yes, I need to update the JRift git hub repos. Let me do that, then it'll be great if you can check it out!
Awesome, thanks!
Kajos - I wouldn't worry about investigating the shutdown crash - this looks like a promising potential fix that I'll include next build:

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=34&t=690
Kajos
Cross Eyed!

Post by Kajos »

StellaArtois wrote:
Kajos - I wouldn't worry about investigating the shutdown crash - this looks like a promising potential fix that I'll include next build:

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=34&t=690
Ah, okay, I came across the same issue with my own application, however it was caused by blatantly calling destroy on a different thread.
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

StellaArtois wrote:
mattyeatsmatts wrote:Hey Stella what order # is your Rift?
439XX, to the UK. Status: 'Ready'. Early/mid June I'm assuming.
My order number was 3071 (I believe), and I received it last week (South Korea). Perhaps yours will be on the way sooner than you think? Not every order number is an actual shipping Rift, so you could be in this or the next batch, even. Fingers crossed that's the case, after all this wonderful work you truly deserve a chance to try it out for yourself sooner, rather than later :-)
vanti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vanti »

I just tried the 0.18 and now the menus and inv/crafting looks good but doesn't work. It doesn't click in the correct place. Tried to launch with desktop at native res but same deal. Also when rolling it gets distorted.

Being able to have the HUD/menus attached to your view instead of the character model would be great as well. Especially since the rotation of the model can be a bit jerky and it doesn't always face the way you are looking. Perhaps make it an option? Same with the windshield effect behind it :)

Also still freezes on quit.

It may just be that I got used to the lag while playing for 3 hours yesterday but it does feel less now. Some test comparisons with HL2 is perhaps in order since that one felt really responsive.

But it is getting real close to fully usable which is amazing for such a short time :)
ahref
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ahref »

Wow this sprung up quickly.

I was working on this myself with a similar approach with forge compatibility but it looks like you beat me to a working state.

Could i suggest a new thread to which you are the original poster so you can update your thread with a change log? I had to read through the 8 pages of discussion just to grab 018

Good Job :D
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

StellaArtois wrote:
I tried the last version you posted this morning and there is definitely some lag in the tracking.

Edit: oops, didn't notice you had made a new thread.
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

jack612 wrote:Edit: oops, didn't notice you had made a new thread.
New thread is for releases, this one is for discussion still :-)

Regarding your mentioned lag, are you sure it isn't simply the hardware limitations showing, or the difference between using the predictive feature and not? To my understanding, he's not currently using prediction, whereas other games like TF2 do use it.
DRayX
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DRayX »

Any chance for a source release?
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

I believe he said he can't because of the terms with Minecraft development environment or something along those lines.
B3RIC
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by B3RIC »

Awesome! I got it to work, now I just need my Rift to come in the mail. XD Thanks for all your work Stella!
Kajos
Cross Eyed!

Post by Kajos »

@StellaArtois: Just a question; do you render to two fbos, one for each eye? If so, what do you use for warping parameters in the shader?
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Kajos wrote:@StellaArtois: Just a question; do you render to two fbos, one for each eye? If so, what do you use for warping parameters in the shader?
Just the one FBO, using the OpenGL shader posted in this forum.

By the way, 0.19 is now available:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=17489

0.19 Alpha 09-05-13
===================
- Reverted to fixed position HUD.
- Large GUI size recommended.
- Fixed mouse pointer alignment issue on menus.
- Possible fix for crash on exit.
- Added head track prediction support. Ctrl-Alt L to toggle.

You must use the new dlls included.

Let me know how it goes. Have reverted back to fixed HUD position due to warping issues with the previous version.
ahref
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ahref »

With a new DLL does that mean you have modified JRift?

If so please pull request that back to 38leinaD.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

I don't have a Rift yet.

0.19 rolls the view automatically back and forth to 90 and then to 270 degrees. Tried both a backup copy and new download of minecraft.jar and the new .dlls are in the natives folder.

edit: ctrl-alt L has no effect on the roll.

edit 2: odd that it appears no one else has this problem.
Last edited by jf031 on Thu May 09, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dycus
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dycus »

Just tried 0.19. I really liked the non-fixed HUD, but that requires drift correction eventually (and there are various other bugs with it). The fixed HUD is good for now, though.

Glad you fixed the HUD elements, though. A couple minor bugs, it's a little squashed horizontally (so it's too tall), and you can move the mouse cursor to either side of the screen. It still works fine like that, so it's minor. Also, when you die, the respawn screen doesn't show up unless you press escape twice. Great progress, though! It's definitely playable.
DRayX
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DRayX »

There a bunch of open source Minecraft mods. They have to be sure not to include any of the reverse engineered minecraft code, but there are ways of doing it.
mr_yuk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mr_yuk »

FYI
My order #53XX was received on April 21. My brothers order #77XX has not yet been delivered.
B3RIC
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by B3RIC »

Just applied .19 and I'm get a constant slow clockwise rotation lol I'm not currently using the Rift, maybe that's the problem?

Edit: Once it reaches 90 degrees its starts to go the other way.
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Just tried out the latest version and there's still some lag in the head tracking. I wasn't sure if the prediction is supposed to be enabled by default, so I tried ctrl-alt-L and it crashed. Here's the exception, did I do something wrong?

Code: Select all

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift._setPrediction(FZ)V
at de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift._setPrediction(Native Method)
at de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift.setPrediction(OculusRift.java:190)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runTick(Minecraft.java:1727)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.K(Minecraft.java:864)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:788)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Just installed .19 here are my observations with the rift

1) I like the way the menus are centered, however it might be a little bit too high. For instance in the options I can't really make out Music and Sound options without rolling my eyes pretty high up to get a clear look at it. It might be what Dycus said about being too tall by being squished horizontally.

2) It took me a while to find out where my mouse was on the screen (the cross hairs). I have the rift setup as a 3rd monitor with minecraft settled in it's view.

3) The UI was very readable except for the main task bar UI which seemed to be too close to the bottom of the visible portion of my screen during normal play mode. Is this UI locked in the same size as the options UI? If it's not, i might suggest moving it up the screen a little. The UI was sized good with using LARGE as recommended

Once again awesome job! It's very playable now.

Edit: I tried control alt L and it crashed my install as well. However, the tracking felt smoother by default so maybe it was already turned on? Not sure could be the fact everything else was good and it just felt better heh.
KingK76
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by KingK76 »

B3RIC wrote:Just applied .19 and I'm get a constant slow clockwise rotation lol I'm not currently using the Rift, maybe that's the problem?

Edit: Once it reaches 90 degrees its starts to go the other way.
Someone else using the mod but without a n actual Rift is having the same issue. So ya I think that must be the problem.
BillBucket
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BillBucket »

AdaQmmm wrote:After adding everything that needs to be added i've run into this error, anyone else get the same thing?

I was having the same problem. To fix it, you can include the path when you do a command line call like this-

>java -Djava.library.path=<Path to %APPDATA>\.minecraft\bin\natives -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

This could also help cut out that step of messing with your path variable, but it seems like most people aren't having that problem.

I have a Rift and this mod is working very well for me. I see very little lag. My only issue is that the game is a little too full screen. My item/health bar is just out of my field of view, to the point I can see it in my peripheral vision, but not when I try to look directly at it. The menu and other text is amazing compared to most of the other applications, like TF2, which has unreadable text.

Great job, keep up the good work.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

ahref wrote:With a new DLL does that mean you have modified JRift?

If so please pull request that back to 38leinaD.
The only problem with that being we need the Oculus SDK lib in there as well. I've made some mods to it to allow for a custom near / far clip planes. But the intention is to update that repo soon.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

0.20 Alpha 10-05-13
===================
- Fix 'late night' build issues with 0.19:
- Fixed unsatisified link error for head track prediction.
- Removed test code(!); for users without a Rift plugged in the screen kept rolling from side to side!

Sorry about those issues, they shouldn't have crept in. Too many late nights here, I may need a rest! ;-)
B3RIC
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by B3RIC »

StellaArtois wrote:0.20 Alpha 10-05-13
===================
- Removed test code(!); for users without a Rift plugged in the screen kept rolling from side to side!

Sorry about those issues, they shouldn't have crept in. Too many late nights here, I may need a rest! ;-)

The game works great for about 5 minutes then the frame rate drops to 0 and it does some SERIOUS lagging. I've duplicated this multiple times. Anybody else have this problem?
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

B3RIC wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:0.20 Alpha 10-05-13
===================

The game works great for about 5 minutes then the frame rate drops to 0 and it does some SERIOUS lagging. I've duplicated this multiple times. Anybody else have this problem?
Sounds like it could be resource leak issues. I may not be cleaning up my OpenGL objects properly. I'll look into it.
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

18 minute Minecraft mine cart ride for the Rift is anyone is bored, lol. It basically just shows off some buildings, landscape, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zhqft4YxCU
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

defactoman wrote:Just installed .19 here are my observations with the rift

1) I like the way the menus are centered, however it might be a little bit too high. For instance in the options I can't really make out Music and Sound options without rolling my eyes pretty high up to get a clear look at it. It might be what Dycus said about being too tall by being squished horizontally.

2) It took me a while to find out where my mouse was on the screen (the cross hairs). I have the rift setup as a 3rd monitor with minecraft settled in it's view.

3) The UI was very readable except for the main task bar UI which seemed to be too close to the bottom of the visible portion of my screen during normal play mode. Is this UI locked in the same size as the options UI? If it's not, i might suggest moving it up the screen a little. The UI was sized good with using LARGE as recommended

Once again awesome job! It's very playable now.

Edit: I tried control alt L and it crashed my install as well. However, the tracking felt smoother by default so maybe it was already turned on? Not sure could be the fact everything else was good and it just felt better heh.
Great feedback as always, thanks defactoman. I've seen the 'lost mouse pointer' on my setup too. To be fixed.

Is the GUI readable / usable at 'normal' GUI size setting in the Rift?

With 0.19 and 0.20 head track prediction is OFF by default. ;-)
Last edited by StellaArtois on Fri May 10, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

ften wrote:18 minute Minecraft mine cart ride for the Rift is anyone is bored, lol. It basically just shows off some buildings, landscape, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zhqft4YxCU
Loved it! Which map / server is that?
Josche
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Josche »

ok what did I do wrong here... I followed instructions with a clean 1.5.2 jar got everything working but when I log in I get these annoying panels..

and

was using the latest 20.

anywhere I look or turn those frames follow me.

Return to “Minecrift”