ATTRACTIONS of VIRTUAL REALITY

Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

ATTRACTIONS of VIRTUAL REALITY

Post by Yurab »

Our company developed some "attractions of virtual reality". Now we finished assembling "prototype" the first attraction "Old Zeppelin" (we planning to put it in operation in September).

Equipment:
- computer Core 2 Quad 9650 4GHz, RAM 8GB, RAID 2TB, video nVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 X2 + 4 modules MATROX TripleHead2Go, audio Creative X-Fi Elite Pro;
- 12 projectors BenQ 622c (1024x768, 85Hz in stereo);
- 4 panoramic screens 6x1.5 meter (3 projectors per screen);
- acoustics 7.1 KLIPSCH + receiver Pioneer LX70;
- 12 couches with low-frequence-effects ("Buttkicker");
- 2 IR-transmitters (range 20 meter);
- 50 wireless Shutterglasses.

The stereomovies for attractions we make in 3D-programm (VUE, POSER, MAYA, RealFlow etc.).
Last edited by Yurab on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
FREE YOUR MIND!!!
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

Now future attraction looks like this ("prototype" has size 2x3x2 meter, screens 0.5x2 meter and only one couch, but looks very impressive :)):

FREE YOUR MIND!!!
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

Hi!

welcome to mtbs! i LOVE this project! i would like to see you posting more informations about it. but i would like to see it posted a s a share of informations and not as advertising. ;)

we at mtbs love to see other companies beeing interested, or share theyr work, on mtbs. but since we have sponsors, we cannot accept the name of your company posted by you, or any other kind of direct advertising if not discussed with neil first. Im sure that you understand that advertisers may not like it. its nothing against you or your company, we would apreciate if you continue posting on ourforums and visit us regularly. i have removed the name of your company from the post. please feel free to contact neil.

regards

igor
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

This settup looks a little complicated and exagerated, but since you are using 'normal' Hardware the price might be not too high in the end...

I mean what are 12 projectors compared to some super highend Cinema projectors at pricing?

I think you should be able to get something about the company name. You are not banned if you say nVidia, too...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Yeah. I'm not too bothered by it. It's if he's trying to sell these VR systems to our members or working hard to promote his site, then I have a problem. I think this is interesting.

What is this system for? Is it an exhibit of some kind?

Can you upload these images to our gallery?

Neil
bustincapps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bustincapps »

Might be tough to get rid of the heat created by 12 projectors in a small room especially after an extended period of time. Would dual projectors polarised with passive glasses per screen be a better alternative both cost and heat wise despite limited viewing angles. Given the fragility of most shutter glasses and limited battery life span of wireless glasses would it be detremental to the overall longevity and maintenace of this setup?

Also for viewing content im not sure how the end user might know where or which screen they should focus their attention. For example, if my attention as a viewer was required to look behind, would the in content camera pan to show what is behind on the front screen or would there be some form of audio or visual cue to make me look left, right or behind?

Just some thoughts.
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

This system is for entertainment, you know :). The room presents the "gondola" of "virtual airship", the screens are the "windows". "Passengers" (in this attraction 24 peoples - 2 on one couch) fly (and swim underwater, sail, drive etc. :)) by this "airship" from one "virtual reality" to another and look through this "windows" outside. The stereopicture is panoramic (360 grad, total resolution 12288x768), each projector shows (in page-flipping mode) one "piece" (1024x768) of this big picture. And viewers turn his heads "tracking" the action :). One variant of attraction has revolving chairs (and +2 screens on the floor) and viewers can to rotate full body :):

FREE YOUR MIND!!!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

awesome stuff! when does this come to Ukraine I really wanna test this out
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Looks absolutely amazing :D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That has got to be one of the more impressive concepts I've seen. Reminds me a bit of the Star Wars ride they have at Disney World. That wasn't in 3D, but it was a very similar setup in terms of presentation. Some nice concept art there, it looks like you have a good idea of what you are doing. I would very much like to see how the final product turns out.

Also, what were the reasons for going with active shutterglasses? If you have 12 projectors, then doing passive polarized 3D seems like a better solution. Syncing up all those glasses are going to be difficult (as you are probably aware) especially due to line-of-sight issues with a full crowd of people. I'm not saying it can't be done, but its not going to be easy. Then there is the issue of battery life, glasses breaking or malfunctioning, people stealing the glasses, etc. Although you seem to know what you are doing so I assume you have come up with a working solution. Just something to think about.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Woooow!!!! :O

Breathtaking, Would love to see that in real life. Since you already have so many beamers i also would suggest consideration of a polarized rig! The glasses are easier to wear and functions better. The ghostrejection is superb (i have according to measure past in time 85-90% total blocking rate). There'a thread about it somewhere if you can find it. :D Still love this project! Like fulfilling a dream!

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

btw just for the fun of it can you submit stereoscopic (side by side) versions of your 3d concept renders?
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Passive system has still some ghosting, but I think DLP+ SG can be even better for less ghosting.

IR emitters shouldn't be that much of a problem, if positioned high and at many locations.

For 20 people (one room) you'd need glasses worth of about 1000 to 2000$, which seems to be much less than 12 extra projectors and silver-screens.
I think also the arangement of 24 projectors for a single room might be a little more difficult - but should be possible...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Looks like a great idea. My only problem with it is keeping your eyes at the same level relative to the multiple screens. For example, if you are facing towards the front then look to the right, one eye will be above the other relative to the floor screens. This means the images won't line up and will cause inexperienced viewers discomfort (not all will be aware of the technical side of not tilting your head when looking at a S3D monitor either).
Besides that, I just want one of those double width screens in my lounge room!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

android78 wrote:Looks like a great idea. My only problem with it is keeping your eyes at the same level relative to the multiple screens. For example, if you are facing towards the front then look to the right, one eye will be above the other relative to the floor screens. This means the images won't line up and will cause inexperienced viewers discomfort (not all will be aware of the technical side of not tilting your head when looking at a S3D monitor either).
Besides that, I just want one of those double width screens in my lounge room!
well their last concept shows rotatable seats, which should fix this problem. Would be super awesome for something like a dragon to reach in!
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

The conception of "attractions of virtual reality" is like this: stereoscopic projectors (and 3D Ready TV and plasma) make "virtual interior" in "natural" size (cosmostation, tomb of pharaon, labirinth, haunted castle etc.) and viewers in WIRELESS shutterglasses (i use ONLY SG!) walk (or "move" ;)?) in this "virtual space" in quite REAL manner - moving his legs :). In accordance with this idea developed attraction "VIRTUAL BALAGAN" (7 rooms total 140 sq. meters, 16 screens on walls, ceiling and floor, 46 projectors (and 4 plasma) etc.):

FREE YOUR MIND!!!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Videos

Post by android78 »

Hi Yurab. What happened to the post with the videos you uploaded? I started downloading one last night and it stopped at 99%. :cry:
Oh well... Nice work anyway. Just wondering if you're likely to setup one of these in Australia... I'd be interrested to go if you were.

Edit: Never mind about the other post, I found your website from your profile, not that I can read it.
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

My site is permanently "under construction", i suppose to make english part later (unfortunately my english is not very good: i have not the practice since 1997 when i worked as designer in Indonesia, not far from Australia by the way ;)). I developed "the line" the attractions from simple like this (6x4x3 meter, screen 6x1.5 meter, "only" 3 projectors, inexpensive computer and acoustics, standing "seats")

to "multiroom" (polyscreen) like "Virtual Balagan".

In "attractions" it's more importantly not "hardware" but stereoscopic "movies'. I make the "movies' in 3D-programms like VUE, POSER, MAYA, RealFlow etc., music - FL Studio, miltichannel sound - Adobe Audition, "assembling" and postproduction - Adobe After Effects. In forum "Do It Yourself!" i try to start the topic with little "tutorials" how to make "stereomovies" in 3D-programms.
FREE YOUR MIND!!!
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Very interesting concept.

Having an image on the floor or ceiling would not work because the left and right eyes need to look at the image "right side up" and with the head tilted at the correct angle or you lose the 3d effect. A person standing above the image lookeing down would only see 3d if they had their eyes at the correct angle which wouldn't be likely.

It would be interesting to have a non 3d image on the floor to show gravel or a road moving underneath at a fixed depth at floor level.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

chrisdfw wrote:Very interesting concept.

A person standing above the image lookeing down would only see 3d if they had their eyes at the correct angle which wouldn't be likely.
he has a point. unless of course some super fancy head tracking is made that will rotate a robotic arm thingy holding the projector depending on the head position. even then it'll only work for one person and require a NASA budget. Only solution is to keep the people in 1 place, but that would undermine the entire point.

Yurab- I have already watched the videos of the submarine thing flying around in diff environments a while back (also the dinosaur fish thing)- good stuff, but more variety and 'action' would be welcome. Also I assume for the setup you'll render the views for each projector separately right? If the views in the attraction will actually be coming out of the submarine thing (so you don't see the actual submarine) so it's like there are many windows in different directions that would be most exciting.
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

It's another attraction ;) - "Flying Saucer" (stereocyclorama): 12 screens are placing along the circle seamless and viewers will standing in center this circle looking in all directions.

The screens on the floor and ceiling i am using in attraction like "Canyon": narrow corridor (2-2.5 meter wide and 8-10 meter long) allows to look only in one direction. In other cases i show on floor non-stereoscopic pictures.

"More action"... Hm... For 5 years i try to make stereoscopic "serial" MATRAX[ref#cked] - the parody on all (or many) blockbusters. Maybe now i start this work "practically"...

MATRAX SlieShow
FREE YOUR MIND!!!
Okta

Post by Okta »

The viewing areas seem small and why not use rear projection?
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Yurab wrote:It's another attraction ;) - "Flying Saucer" (stereocyclorama): 12 screens are placing along the circle seamless and viewers will standing in center this circle looking in all directions.

The screens on the floor and ceiling i am using in attraction like "Canyon": narrow corridor (2-2.5 meter wide and 8-10 meter long) allows to look only in one direction. In other cases i show on floor non-stereoscopic pictures.

"More action"... Hm... For 5 years i try to make stereoscopic "serial" MATRAX[ref#cked] - the parody on all (or many) blockbusters. Maybe now i start this work "practically"...

MATRAX SlieShow
wow can't wait to watch this! Btw if you want a few 3d models done here and there I'd be happy to help out :) I also do voice acting if you require a heavy russian/ukrainian accent
chrisjarram
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by chrisjarram »

I have a triple-projector rig similar to this with low frequency tactle trasducers (BK LFE) and high-freqency motion (Frex based) - I also have my own ridefilm software which synchronizes to stereoscopic player, the problem is I've not got the bloody space to set up all 3 projectors! Incidentally Yurab, can you tell us which stereo playback software you are using? I had some problems playing back higher resolution stuff on stereoscopic player (not speed, rather it just wouldnt display at all).
chrisjarram
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by chrisjarram »

Okta wrote:The viewing areas seem small and why not use rear projection?
Erm, would that not make the viewing area even smaller! :)
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

Unfortunately StereoscopicPlayer plays stereomovies with max resolution 2048x2048 (per eye), DepthQ Media Server plays stereomovies with max res. 4096x4096, but costs too much (about $6000). Now i am using SP and for playing i reduce resolution of movies from 3072x768 to 2048x512. And i try to make own stereoplayer (earlier i was a programmer ;)), but this work advances very slow :(.
FREE YOUR MIND!!!
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

From the outside attraction "Old Zeppelin" will look like this (but without grass of course :)):

Without covers (and left screen):

FREE YOUR MIND!!!
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Yurab,
have You not problems with L/R color differences of Benq s with use of shutterglasses? Have 2 Benq with Matrox DualH.
Randomly when I swithc the system on projectors are "desynchronised -little color diff." It is possible repair this with "auto" reswitching of PJ. Only with 12 PJ .... :-)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

hmm, I think if you include the grass you will get more customers. Plus you'll be able to save costs since then you could just put in just regular 2d screens and people will be like "whoa! have you seen those pixies fly out of the screen? " person 2 : "no, I thought they were dinosaurs" person 1: "wicked!"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wow Yurab, those renders are off the chain! Just when I thought I had seen it all you post something that blows my mind. Nice work.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

FREE YOUR MIND!
what a lovely garden... :D
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

Yes, i have the problem with L/R color difference. I solve it restarting one projector from 3 while L/R colors become identical on one screen (for 4 screens i must restart no more than 4 projectors; it takes about 10 minutes and only one time a day).
FREE YOUR MIND!!!
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

I have the attraction "Fly in the Sky" for discotheques: the screens (1 or more) stand around dancing peoples and you dance not only listen to music but seeing the video (stereoscopic or not). And standing on floor ventilators blow upward and create the feeling of fly (almost as grass ;)).
FREE YOUR MIND!!!
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Yes Yurab, the problem is no crucial.. For my no problematic- this is my home setup( in video 2D, normally in 3D with shutterglasses):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_p69UwOsNU
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

First "production sample" of "attraction of virtual reality" is attraction "Capsula" :

3x4x2.5 meter, 3 screens 1x2.8 meter, 6 projectors (2 for one screen) BenQ MP620c (1024x768, 2000 Lum, 85 Hz in stereo), 3 3-seat couches with Buttkickers (max 9-12 "passengers"), Dolby 5.1 acoustics (Sound Projector Yamaha + Subwoofer), air-conditioner, wireless shutterglasses.

The "passengers" will "travel" by Capsula from one "virtual reality" to another and through the screens like windows they will look on this "reality". The Capsula in stereomovie will looks like this:

Last edited by Yurab on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FREE YOUR MIND!!!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

looking awesome but please make more diverse 3d environments.
Yurab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yurab »

On the pictures present only "concepts" for "vehicles". "Environments" will look like this:

FREE YOUR MIND!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hey Yurab!

Sorry for editing out the naked pictures. pretty women - but G-rated forums! :P

You should upload these images to our own gallery at http://wwew.mtbs3d.com/gallery

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

wow amazing images? did you use terragen?

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”