GDC 2013 in 3D, Part II

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

GDC 2013 in 3D, Part II

Post by Neil »

Today we have part two of Kris Roberts' coverage of GDC 2013. This time, Kris shares what he learned from Valve's presentations about VR technology and what game developers need to look out for.

[stimg='Michael Abrash, Valve' url=http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... CF9039.jpg]http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... CF9039.jpg[/stimg]
Why Virtual Reality Is Hard (And Where It Might Be Going)
Michael Abrash (Valve Software)

Quite a few years ago, before I switched gears in my career and went into games professionally, I read Michael Abrash's Graphics Programming Black Book. I had been running a Quake server for a while and found it fascinating to read about what went into the state of the art in computer graphics at the time and learn about some of the background story behind how they developed Quake in particular. Michael writes with a splendid tone that gets complex concepts across clearly and succinctly, but without the impression that details are being glossed over or simplified. His talk this year was the first time I had ever seen him in person, and it was no big surprise that his personal presentation style was just as illuminating.

Read full article...
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: GDC 2013 in 3D, Part II

Post by Neil »

Hi guys,

There was a minor error in how this article was submitted. I want to make it clear that Kris Roberts was the author and not myself.

Regards,
Neil
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: GDC 2013 in 3D, Part II

Post by Dom »

Wow, 20 ms. I wonder if this goes back to where they need a dedicated latency processor like those killer-nic cards. Where the software code needs to be processed closer to each hardware part that is dedicated into micro or nano seconds of transfer time. Vr with a hmd seems like your in a car and have about that much freedom but you must stay in your car and constantly look out the windshield. With due to the anomolies.

Honestly if the 3d volume depth don't show enough and it's just a fast time with skill and calculated mathmatics then I don't see how anyone could revert all those glary enomolies.

I can't wait to get a hmd then I can lye on the floor and feel like l'm in outerspace.

Hey Neil you need to put up a hmd emoticon, I would say.

My hmd display I have now is closing my eyes and bending my arm over my face over my eyes then trying to imagine-imagine. Lol

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”