Unity Pro Discount (Confirmed!)

Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Unity Pro Discount (Confirmed!)

Post by Korda »

Hi Everyone,
Hi I'm Matt a Indie Dev from Australia, I've been lurking here for a while but haven't been very active, something I intend to remedy ;)

I have been meaning to buy a Unity Pro License for a while but have been hesitant because Unity seem to drop discounts at the drop of a hat.
I emailed a sales rep from Unity a while back and in the response was:
Typically we are now unable to directly discount orders of less that 10+ seats of Unity Pro.
So to that end I was wondering if anyone else was interested in purchasing Unity Pro why not band together and try to get a discount (no guarantees)

If you are interested leave a post here and if we get more than 10 people I will get in touch with you in a pm and we can see how it goes from there.

UPDATE:
----------------------------------------
UNITY RESPONSE
----------------------------------------
Hi everyone,
I heard back from Unity and they are willing to give us a discount. TL;DR 5% discount for 3-9 people 10% discount for 10+ people and additional 5% discount if you use their logo in your game, and mention them in credits.

The full email is below:
----------------------
Hello Matthew,

It's good to hear from you. Since our last conversation we have had some more updates to our discount structure. I can now offer a 5% reduction on an order of between 3-9 Pro licenses. This discount raises to a 10% reduction on orders of 10-14 Pro licenses. Studios purchasing volume licenses can benefit from these reductions. However I would be happy to extend this discount to members in your group. I'll need to set up accounts for each developer, however if say for example 2-3 developers are apart of a single studio, it would be easier to setup an account in their studio name and then have separate contacts under that one account.

In addition to this I can access an additional % discount using the Powered by Unity Branding Addendum. We can raise the 5% discount to a 10% reduction, and the 10% discount to a 15% reduction if the developer is agreeable to the terms. I have attached the addendum for your groups review.

I'll look forward to assisting you all further with your licensing questions and requirement.

Kind regards,
Alex

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure how long this offer is good for so I am going to try and lock down numbers this week. If you are interested please PM me as soon as possible and I will add you to a list of names I will send to Alex and then we will take it from there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Korda on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Possible Unity Pro Discount

Post by Parallaxis »

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm investigating UDK right now for my next game, but Unity is also an option.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

I would definitely be interested, count me in.
3dcoffee
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3dcoffee »

Even if they do doscount it on something like 500 $, it is too much for my personal usage. I just wanted to experiment, create some environments, scenarios (jumping off the cliff, familiar building in my city etc.). So I guess I will have to go with a free UDK?
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Korda wrote:Hi Everyone,
Hi I'm Matt a Indie Dev from Australia, I've been lurking here for a while but haven't been very active, something I intend to remedy ;)

I have been meaning to buy a Unity Pro License for a while but have been hesitant because Unity seem to drop discounts at the drop of a hat.
I emailed a sales rep from Unity a while back and in the response was:
Typically we are now unable to directly discount orders of less that 10+ seats of Unity Pro.
So to that end I was wondering if anyone else was interested in purchasing Unity Pro why not band together and try to get a discount (no guarantees)

If you are interested leave a post here and if we get more than 10 people I will get in touch with you in a pm and we can see how it goes from there.

Count me in. Was planning on buying it anyways. Thanks for doing this.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

It depends on the discount price. I may be interested. Can you extract the "10-seat" price out of the Unity sales guy? And how many seats for the next bigger price break? Did you ask him about a "many seat" MTBS3D discount price?
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

Before we go any further, it might be worth checking if the "10 seat" offer only applies to the same organisation.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

We could probably organize a Programmers Collective pretty easily.

There are plenty of programming groups with International members.

Edit: Cover Letter

Sir,

We are an International Programming group interested in purchasing Unity Pro Licenses. We currently have 12 seats.

We would like to know the cost of each license and whether further discounts are available and at what number.

Thank you.
Skylead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Skylead »

I too would be interested, let us know what price point you get.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I was planning on getting it, and I wouldn't say no to a discount.
Kajos
Cross Eyed!

Post by Kajos »

Gonna get the student version, 700$ (commercial, perpetual) . I think that's as much discount as one can possibly get at Unity, else I'd be interested.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Mart wrote:Before we go any further, it might be worth checking if the "10 seat" offer only applies to the same organisation.
This, guys. I have extreme difficulty imagining that any kind of "per seat" license would apply to a bunch of random dudes whose only connection was wanting a discount. These things exist solely to provide a reasonable pricing structure for larger studios that have lots of artists and coders working on one project. Feel free to inquire, but be warned that if you don't have Unity's explicit permission to do this you could run the risk of having your discounted license yanked out from under you, and with no refunds.

That being said, there's nothing stopping you guys from actually starting a loosely affiliated studio. Creating a legal business entity isn't terribly difficult or expensive, and as long as you all published your stuff under one banner I doubt you'd even have to be working together on any particular project to get the corporate licensing. Just be careful - this is how indies turn into giant publishing conglomerates! :lol:
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I'm all for being upfront about it. A group of programmers with a loose affiliation, etc.

Even if we just make a website then we're more organized than most programmers. :D
Farox
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Farox »

Sure, sounds good and I agree with Pingles here. Play it open, just in case.
J. h4t3d
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by J. h4t3d »

Pingles wrote:Count me in. Was planning on buying it anyways. Thanks for doing this.
Same here.
J
Skylead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Skylead »

Kajos wrote:Gonna get the student version, 700$ (commercial, perpetual) . I think that's as much discount as one can possibly get at Unity, else I'd be interested.

Good find, I knew about the watermarked student edition but this one is new to me. Might have to use that if we can't get a group discount.
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

I'm in if Unity are open to this.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

digitaljohn wrote:I'm in if Unity are open to this.
Still not sure why everyone thinks they would be. I'd bet you $1500 there needs to be a business entity on your stationary before they'd even consider opening up these corporate pricing structures. $700 if you're a current student is about the best deal you're going to find; if you're this dead-set on using Unity when UDK is completely free there is the option of doing lots of basic asset work in Unity Indie, triggering your Unity Pro "free" trial for four additional months of polishing, and showing the stuff you're not allowed to publish to investors to scrape together the ransom money? If you're just a VR hobbyist, Unity Pro isn't for you - I agree it's the perfect engine for your needs, but Unity has made it clear they don't want your business unless you have $1500 laying around. Rather than petitioning for a discount deal you're not going to get, I suggest spamming up their forums with reminders of how all you guys really want to be using their engine but can't afford it. ;)
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

nateight wrote:
digitaljohn wrote:I'm in if Unity are open to this.
Still not sure why everyone thinks they would be. I'd bet you $1500 there needs to be a business entity on your stationary before they'd even consider opening up these corporate pricing structures. $700 if you're a current student is about the best deal you're going to find; if you're this dead-set on using Unity when UDK is completely free there is the option of doing lots of basic asset work in Unity Indie, triggering your Unity Pro "free" trial for four additional months of polishing, and showing the stuff you're not allowed to publish to investors to scrape together the ransom money? If you're just a VR hobbyist, Unity Pro isn't for you - I agree it's the perfect engine for your needs, but Unity has made it clear they don't want your business unless you have $1500 laying around. Rather than petitioning for a discount deal you're not going to get, I suggest spamming up their forums with reminders of how all you guys really want to be using their engine but can't afford it. ;)
If they don't go for it they don't go for it. Its worth a try- maybe someone at unity will decide that 15 people buying it for 66% cost is better than 12 people using UDK and 3 people buying unity for full price.
And there are more factors in choosing an engine besides the price.
Baron
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Baron »

I'm in.
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

I'd need to know the price tag and, as stated, whether they just meant "For your company" rather than "For your affiliations on a web forum."
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Thanks Pingles!

It's good to see there is some interest here.

I will send an e-mail to Unity shortly but thought I would post it here before sending for your input.

Hi (redacted),
I represent a collective of international Oculus Rift developers interested in purchasing Unity Pro licenses. We currently have X people interested and are curious if we would be eligible for a group discount if so we would like to know the cost of each license and whether further discounts are available and at what number.

Kind Regards,
Matthew Korda

edit: removed able from before eligible
Last edited by Korda on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AussieMike
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by AussieMike »

I might b in, depending on how much the discount ends up being
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 360 »

I agree, it's worth a shot...and if so, I'm interested. Perhaps the notice of demand could potentially encourage some temporary discount.

only thing...
Korda wrote:Thanks Pingles!
We currently have X people interested and are curious if we would be able eligible for a group discount if so we would like to know the cost of each license and whether further discounts are available and at what number.
...either, just cut the "able" or cut the "eligible" and add something like "able to obtain."
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

ah thanks 360 I started writing one thing and then wrote something else
Zoide
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Zoide »

I might be interested, depending on the price.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

I also would be interested depending on the discount amount.
Cernos
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cernos »

i can be interested too ofc depending on the money.
gravity360
Cross Eyed!

Post by gravity360 »

Well depending on how much the discount is, I may go in on this. But if it's pushing above $500 then that's gonna be a deal breaker for me.
3devious
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3devious »

I want to get a license for Unity but it is for my personal use. I wouldn't qualify for a student discount, but $1500 is a bit steep for a hobby at such an incubative stage for me.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I'd be interested in any real discount, so let me know what you find out! :)
BlueByLiquid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BlueByLiquid »

Also I interested if the discount is pretty deep
zinion
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zinion »

I am in, just would prefer to know the price before i commit, as i to was looking at getting the student addition
Naru
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Naru »

I'm interested too, might be able to get a friend into this as well. Depends on price though, just like everyone else here.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Hi Guys,
It's good to see so much interest.

Firstly the email has been sent. Regarding price I won't know how much the discount will be (or even if we will be eligible for one) until I receive a response but I wouldn't expect a discount to be over 20% (a 20% discount was offered to Ludum Dare competitors a few months back).

Depending on your countries exchange rate you may be able to save yourself some more money by changing the currency to Yen. (Yen works out to be about $200 cheaper in Australian Dollars)

I will keep you all updated.

-Matt
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

There are some Unity concerns on the Developer board that I am watching. I was ready to jump in but I think it may be wise to see how quickly the concerns are dealth with. Be a shame to plunk down $1500 and not have the Rift working right.
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

What if all of you pitched in with the money you are willing to part with to hire developers for open source projects like Blender or Torque3D?

That would be great.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

That's an interesting suggestion and one that might be deserving of its own thread.
3devious
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3devious »

Korda wrote:That's an interesting suggestion and one that might be deserving of its own thread.
Well said. (I would be terrible for organizing such a thing hough.)
Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Mel »

I'm interested in a copy of Unity too...depending on discount.

Return to “Oculus VR”