First Impressions From Rift Owners

sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: First Impressions From Rift Owners

Post by sth »

dbuckvs wrote:altho that didn't work as well as i was hoping at the low rift res due to point flickering, it was an interesting effect.
Try a high amount of supersampling or downsampling. It should reduce the flickering drastically (hopefully the GPU can keep up).
If you have an nVidia card, you can try this utility for a quick test.

[edit]: There are 3rd party tools for ATI/AMD cards which can do the same thing.
dbuckvs wrote:falling/jumping from a height is enough fun that I spent hours last night just making strange skyscrapers and launchpads/catapults to fire myself into the air.
:D
mgood
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mgood »

Re: 64-bit drivers, I've never had any issues with 64-bit drivers compared to 32-bit ones.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

That's good to know. I forget how much time has passed since I last messed with PC building.
I guess most gamers are using 64-bit now, so should be fine for the Rift.

OK, I don't want to stuff up this thread any more. Let's try to save it for actual Rift impressions. ;)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

sth wrote:
dbuckvs wrote:falling/jumping from a height is enough fun that I spent hours last night just making strange skyscrapers and launchpads/catapults to fire myself into the air.
Awesome - as someone that loves fast rides and roller coasters I was afraid that would be something the motion sickness would prevent, now I can't wait to do the same :D
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

GeraldT wrote:Awesome - as someone that loves fast rides and roller coasters I was afraid that would be something the motion sickness would prevent, now I can't wait to do the same :D
Yes, me too:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=16565
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

Edit:

Sorry, wrong thread. Please delete.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

I just tried out Dear Esther with the head tracking version of Vireio Perception and it was pretty cool! I'm glad I waited to play this. It seems like it will be a great VR game.
Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linkage1992 »

Here's a video I found of a kids first reaction to it- pretty funny and a good indicator of things to come :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmLpzfHjGGU
Visual Knight
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Visual Knight »

sth wrote:
dbuckvs wrote:altho that didn't work as well as i was hoping at the low rift res due to point flickering, it was an interesting effect.
Try a high amount of supersampling or downsampling. It should reduce the flickering drastically (hopefully the GPU can keep up).
If you have an nVidia card, you can try this utility for a quick test.

[edit]: There are 3rd party tools for ATI/AMD cards which can do the same thing.
Do you think I should go from a AMD 6970GPU 2GB to a 7970 video card? What about my samsung laptop- I have a GTX560 1GB
AMD 8 Core 8150FX CPU OC'ed to 3.9Ghz / XFX AMD 7990 6GB Video / 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM / 256GB Kingston SSDNOW Sold-State Drive / Windows 7 64-bit / Sony 3D monitor
sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

I don't think you should.

Right now, there are only a hand full of games/demos that work with the Rift and none of them is really performance-heavy. Also, your machines look very capable already. If I were you, I'd skip the current hardware generation entirely.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

I agree...nvidia already has released a new board that can handle high detail 1080 very well...I would wait till the consumer version is out!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Diorama »

I won't really have the money for a new card until around June, which is also when my Rift should be arriving.

I could buy now if I wanted, but I'd rather wait and see if there are price drops/new models by the time I get the Rift.

Edit: Wow, I'd never seen it written down, 'June' :cry: and that's if I'm luck(e)y, I'm pretty sure it will be July actually.

That's a loooooooooooooong time.
J. h4t3d
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by J. h4t3d »

Can anyone with a Rift tell me about his experience with head bobbing (I don't know if TF2 has it) in VR so far? Or someone who has been testing it with Unity/UDK.
J
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

I did not see any head bobbing in TF2. Not sure if it would be good or not in vr.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

I don't think TF2 has any head bobbing in VR mode. Tuscany definitely does not. Some of the stuff I've tried briefly with Vireio does but it's hard to tell what kind of effect it has because it's still not really set up correctly for the 7" Rift so the screen is kind of messed up in general.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

I brought the Rift to work today. I am giving fellow coworkers a 2 to 3 minute demo in Tuscan. It is great watching their reactions. Fun Fun. I am having them standing during demo. I think that is better than sitting down, mainly since you are not sitting in Tuscan.
Last edited by pizzy00 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

yea, I did that yesterday, ended up having to put it away because a line was forming and there was work to do! haha.
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

J. h4t3d wrote:Can anyone with a Rift tell me about his experience with head bobbing (I don't know if TF2 has it) in VR so far? Or someone who has been testing it with Unity/UDK.
Head-bob and VR don't mix. As a very general rule anything that takes camera control away from direct head/neck driven input will make people feel disoriented, dizzy and or sick.
marbas

Post by marbas »

Bishop51 wrote:Head-bob and VR don't mix. As a very general rule anything that takes camera control away from direct head/neck driven input will make people feel disoriented, dizzy and or sick.
I will definitely break this rule when I finally get my devkit and start experimenting. I cant see why a slight head-bob should cause any problems and rather add to the immersion when walking/running in the game.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I'm curious, many have shown the device to friends and co-workers etc. ... how many ordered one after the presentation?
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

marbas wrote:
Bishop51 wrote:Head-bob and VR don't mix. As a very general rule anything that takes camera control away from direct head/neck driven input will make people feel disoriented, dizzy and or sick.
I will definitely break this rule when I finally get my devkit and start experimenting. I cant see why a slight head-bob should cause any problems and rather add to the immersion when walking/running in the game.
Tell that to your inner ear.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

marbas wrote:
Universally, people who have tried the rift and DIY equivalents recommend removing head-bob; Carmack, Blezinski, and Luckey's have specifically mentioned it. I don't think they would bother specifically bringing it up as an issue with post-conversion to VR unless it was a big issue.
marbas

Post by marbas »

Yes, and they are probably right too. But it doesn't mean that head-bob-vr shouldn't be investigated any further. I think it depends alot on the intensity/directions/path of the headbob motion.
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

GeraldT wrote:I'm curious, many have shown the device to friends and co-workers etc. ... how many ordered one after the presentation?
i've shown it to 5 people so far. the adults all were interested in a consumer version (i'll wait until it's perfected is the impression i got from them).
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

marbas wrote:I will definitely break this rule when I finally get my devkit and start experimenting.
If you need to break *something*, I recommend that you break that rule, rather than your devkit! :lol:
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

jayoh wrote:
GeraldT wrote:I'm curious, many have shown the device to friends and co-workers etc. ... how many ordered one after the presentation?
i've shown it to 5 people so far. the adults all were interested in a consumer version (i'll wait until it's perfected is the impression i got from them).
Some people just won't be happy until they can taste the steak...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7BuQFUhsRM[/youtube]
Last edited by geekmaster on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

marbas wrote:

I hope everyone is willing to take risks and try stuff that everyone else says will never work.

That being said: Have a bucket on hand when you try it.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Pingles wrote:
marbas wrote:

I hope everyone is willing to take risks and try stuff that everyone else says will never work.

This is true - but if you don't build on the experience of others, we will never progress.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Pingles wrote:I hope everyone is willing to take risks and try stuff that everyone else says will never work.

I just bought mine today - a "lapis" Sterilite 10 quart affair with grey handle, suitable for sticking one's entire face in, all for $1.99 USD. TF2 intel running as a Rifted Scout, here I come! :mrgreen:
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

geekmaster wrote:
jayoh wrote:
Some people just won't be happy until they can taste the steak...
@jayoh: so "waiting". Would your guess be "waiting for content" or "waiting for tech" or "both"? And were all 5 adults?

@gm: There are many shades of grey in between ...
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

For those that were disappointed by "blurring" of the images, I invite you to read this awesome talk by Michael Abrash about why this happens and why it's such a difficult problem.

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/03/31/gdc- ... lides-4415
marbas

Post by marbas »

geekmaster wrote:If you need to break *something*, I recommend that you break that rule, rather than your devkit! :lol:
No worries! My breaking is all software related :)
Pingles wrote:That being said: Have a bucket on hand when you try it.
I'll have my rift case closeby ;)
EAPidgeon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EAPidgeon »

brantlew wrote:For those that were disappointed by "blurring" of the images, I invite you to read this awesome talk by Michael Abrash about why this happens and why it's such a difficult problem.

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/03/31/gdc- ... lides-4415
Finally a GDC Presentation! Although weirdly Comcast (comcrap) is trying to block Road to VR as malicious, I have a encrypted proxy workaround for that but really weird.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

In real life, head bob is barely noticeable and i wonder if just a very slight amount yielding a barely noticeable amount of movement will work fine. I used to rave about the sprinting head bob in Battlefield 2142, which was the best i'd seen. It was more of a slight jolt. It was so slight that when trying to show people it on a forum via a youtube video, i couldn't find a video with enough resolution that would let you see it.

I agree, let the experimentation continue. I think its something you'll get used to.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Tested.com - Testing the Oculus Rift Development Kit: Team Fortress 2 Virtual Reality

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50fvL_EWYY[/youtube-hd]

EDIT: This is definitely a must see in-depth preview. Recommended
www.AwesomeBlade.com
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

If you want headbobbing, just bob your head :P
marbas

Post by marbas »

Parallaxis wrote:Tested.com - Testing the Oculus Rift Development Kit: Team Fortress 2 Virtual Reality

Really enjoyed watching this. Thanks for posting! :)
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Thanks for the vid! Great to see a more in-depth review already.
whelanweb
Cross Eyed!

Post by whelanweb »

Great Vid. Even with the flaws the guys were pretty much saying that this is the next big thing in media. Love the tested guys they always go in dept on everything they do.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Parallaxis wrote:
Agreed, great video. It was interesting to see that he had all changes made by the asian guy and not made them himself. There is still a lot of work needed on the interfaces to be VR compatible it seems.

Return to “Oculus VR”