Passive 3D on PC?

GameGrade3D is a new gamer driven database of the top games, their best settings, and the visual results you can expect using DDD, iZ3D, NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision, and native 3D solutions.

Have questions and ideas for GameGrade3D? Share them here!
HankF89
One Eyed Hopeful

Passive 3D on PC?

Post by HankF89 »

I've been looking all over but can't seem to get any straightforward answers. I'm looking to get a new computer built that can do passive 3D for movies and maybe games if I can get that to work. Thinking about getting the Acer HR274H, a passive 27" monitor, and a 3D Blu-ray drive. What I'm trying to find out is, what else do I need (software, drivers, etc.) to be able to play movies in 3D? It has a conversion button but I'd rather do things the real way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Passive 3D on PC?

Post by cybereality »

There are a few options for playing 3D movies. I use Power DVD, and found it works well. For movies any recent mid/high-end Nvidia or AMD card should work. Though AMD may have better support for gaming. For games you would need the DDD TriDef driver (for AMD).
HankF89
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HankF89 »

Ah, finally! A straightforward answer! I was thinking that was all I needed, but I wanted to make absolutely sure before I started dropping cash on all this. Another question, do I need to make sure the monitor's hooked up to the graphics card through HDMI instead of VGA for 3D to work at all?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, you need to use HDMI. VGA will blur the signal and mess up the 3D.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

cybereality, I just realized something - are you swiftly and ably fielding questions in the deepest recesses of MTBS's subforums from the floor of GDC? :lol:

HankF89, welcome to the forum! Come for the 3D TV answers, stay for the virtual reality revolutions!
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ha! I wish. No, I'm going to GDC tomorrow, some of the other guys are already there.
HankF89
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HankF89 »

Thanks for the welcome! It's nice to finally find a place where I can find quick, straightforward answers. Most info on passive 3D I've found is outdated, or just a push for active shutter which I can't afford. I even tried asking 4chan's Technology board /tg/, which was about as helpful as smashing my face on the keyboard. So I'll stick around here, see what else I can learn!

Return to “GameGrade3D Discussion”