Dolphin gets Rift support?

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Dolphin gets Rift support?

Post by GeraldT »

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-oc ... ft-support

I have to wait quite a bit before I will be able to try it, but game I want to try first has just changed to Wii Zelda.
Already have Dolphin running (have a Wii, but in 1080p Dolphin looks much cooler) - and Zelda is so far still on my "to play" list.
I really hope this will be optimized by the time I get my Rift.

Any other Nintendo Wii/Dolphin gamers here? What would you like to play?
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Dolphin gets Rift support?

Post by nateight »

I saw this! It's a bit of a mindscrew, actually - yes that "CarlKenner". :woot

My list would probably hit the character limit for a single post, and I've barely scratched the surface of the Wii's library. I agree one or more of the Zelda games would be incredible, third-person or not. The technical challenges involved would seem to be massive, but then before I heard about GlovePIE I would've said half the stuff it enables is impossible, too. If anyone can pull it off properly...

I'm sure I'll forget about this as I've never actually used Dolphiin (I own a slightly modified Wii), so if there are any super-exciting updates I hope someone will bump this to alert us.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Diorama »

The hope that there would be a way to hook up Windwaker with the Rift has been in my head since I first heard of the device.

Even if the game isn't really 'playable', if I can stand on a hill, go into 1st person view and look around the cartoon world as Link I will be happy.
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

You may want to check this thread:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... hin#p83971

I think, and don't quote me on this, that 2EyeGuy here is the author of that tread in the dolphin forums.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Omarzuqo wrote:You may want to check this thread:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... hin#p83971

I think, and don't quote me on this, that 2EyeGuy here is the author of that tread in the dolphin forums.
Cool - really looking forward to this being a thing once the Rift gets out.

So anybody know if 2EyeGuy is CarlKenner ???
Hope this is still active.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

not sure about this. Wii's graphics arnt the best to begin with but might be interesting. The problem is youd prob need a pretty good pc to run say zelda on the wii on the dolphin at 60 fps with vysnc :-p better get a titan ;-). haha.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Evenios wrote:not sure about this. Wii's graphics arnt the best to begin with but might be interesting. The problem is youd prob need a pretty good pc to run say zelda on the wii on the dolphin at 60 fps with vysnc :-p better get a titan ;-). haha.
I love the Mario Galaxy graphics via Dolphin. And I don't expect that much of performance hit with the current Rift resolution.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Why would anyone wan't to play Wii/Gamecube games with the Rift? It doesn't make any sense.

What would make sense is remakes of some of the Wii/Gamecube games for the Rift. Imagine Rogue Squadron II remade for Rift.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKS5luq_8tI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i46k_4SCt_U[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueLUdQoq8gw[/youtube]
www.AwesomeBlade.com
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Parallaxis wrote:Why would anyone wan't to play Wii/Gamecube games with the Rift? It doesn't make any sense.
I'm curious - could you elaborate on that last part? Why doesn't it make any sense???
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

Evenios wrote:not sure about this. Wii's graphics arnt the best to begin with but might be interesting. The problem is youd prob need a pretty good pc to run say zelda on the wii on the dolphin at 60 fps with vysnc :-p better get a titan ;-). haha.
Like all emulators, Dolphin is almost only CPU dependent.

60 fps in stereo is not possible with my i7 at least, though I have one of the earlier i7 models.
vietNOM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vietNOM »

I randomly check that thread to see if it gets updated, cause omg the idea of playing f-zero gx on my rift would melt my socks off.

Parallaxis wrote:Why would anyone wan't to play Wii/Gamecube games with the Rift? It doesn't make any sense.

What would make sense is remakes of some of the Wii/Gamecube games for the Rift. Imagine Rogue Squadron II remade for Rift.

i think it would be easier to put rift support into games that are already made then to make the games from the ground up for the rift.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

GeraldT wrote:
I'm curious - could you elaborate on that last part? Why doesn't it make any sense???
The same reason that a Rift compatible emulator for PSX or SNES would not make any sense.

Wii/Gamecube game are not made for VR in any way, and there is no way you can alter each game to be a better fit for VR. So it makes absolutely no sense to make the Dolphin emulator Rift compatible.

I wish people would use all their skills and time to make new games for VR instead of trying to make old stuff fit VR. Especially stuff that will never go with VR and emulation is definitely in that category. However - A virtual boy emulator that is Rift compatible would make some sense.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
vietNOM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vietNOM »

Parallaxis wrote:
GeraldT wrote:
The same reason that a Rift compatible emulator for PSX or SNES would not make any sense.

Wii/Gamecube game are not made for VR in any way, and there is no way you can alter each game to be a better fit for VR. So it makes absolutely no sense to make the Dolphin emulator Rift compatible.

I wish people would use all their skills and time to make new games for VR instead of trying to make old stuff fit VR. Especially stuff that will never go with VR and emulation is definitely in that category. However - A virtual boy emulator that is Rift compatible would make some sense.
I completely disagree but i respect your opinion, i think the idea of dolphin support would be this and correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

but you take zelda windwaker for example...ya have the camera follow link exactly how it does in the normal game but ya just add the ability to look up down right left to that camera position. i think that would be pretty cool...and in 3d!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

vietNOM wrote: but you take zelda windwaker for example...ya have the camera follow link exactly how it does in the normal game but ya just add the ability to look up down right left to that camera position. i think that would be pretty cool...and in 3d!
agreed - I do not know how hard it will be to implement, but the mario games or zelda or ... might be a fantastic fit for enjoying to look around a virtual world. nintendo games are usually rather simple and I guess might be a good fit for the rift just for that reason.

when I played Mario Galaxy for the first time in 1080p I became a believer in Dolphin and I would actually pay 10$ per game that is made to run well. Not sure if that is possible (yet) or if it really needs much more processing power. But if it is, I can see myself playing just Wii/Gamecube games until the first real VR titles come out.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

OMG that would be awesome!! One of my favorite games. I don't think it will happen though.
Last edited by oculusfan on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

oculusfan wrote:

OMG that would be awesome!! One of my favorite games. I don't think it will happen though.
do you really need to leave 3 videos posted just a bit above in your quote? :) ... it is already quite a bit to scroll down with most threads. please quote without videos (unless they are on a different page in the thread).

And yeah - I can't wait for the first Star Wars VR game too!
DarkAkuma
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DarkAkuma »

GC/Wii support will defiantly be interesting. Metroid Trilogy, F-Zero GX, Goldeneye Wii (haven't got around to playing that remake yet, but old GE was amazing in its day and a more modern gfx one sounds pretty interesting for VR).

But yea. As others mentioned, the Zelda games might be interesting. Sure it will be low polygon count, but don't forget Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask exist for GC too! Well, it's been awhile. I don't know how well Dolphin does Wii Virtual console support, if at all. If it does you can include the greater N64 library too.

While I'm sure some hacks or Action Replay codes will eventually exist to add first person view 100% of the time, it does bring up something I've been wondering about. Can/will the 3rd person view game style survive with the Rift and VR? And how well will it adapt? If you guys remember the early days of 3D view games, camera controls often were horrid to the point of making some games unplayable. It got better over time as people got more used to developing with 3d in mind. But for VR it might struggle again.

I'm hopeful to see quality third person game in VR as much as first person. Some games just won't be as good in first person as they would in 3rd. I don't see myself needing to be looking through my characters eye to be immersed. A camera mans eyes would put me in that world enough. Might even be better for broader audience games for violence. Easier on the mind for kids or whoever if arrows are flying at some guy 30 feet in front of him instead of at them selves, for example.

But anyway, for Dolphin. Yea, this is going to be a beast to run at 60fps in stereo. I barely just recently got my computer to the point were I think i can now run it at 60fps mono. I would say my computers specs now are slightly above average, but of course that's subjective.
Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

gtx 680 +
i7
6gb ddr3
you should be more than fine for running dolphin games in 3d stereo in any res. below 1080p
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Parallaxis wrote:
GeraldT wrote:

Some Wii/Gamecube games are made for VR. Metroid Prime 3 is the obvious example.

The Virtual Boy isn't made for VR (except Teleroboxer, and Red Alarm). I still think it would be worth making a Virtual Boy emulator, but I don't think it should just be a straight emulator. I'd like to render Virtual Boy as layers at fixed locations in the world (based on their parallax value) so you can move your head around and look at things from different angles like proper VR, and maybe try to get the scale right.

I think a PSX or SNES emulator would still be good for the Rift, even if it was just a large virtual screen floating in front of you, or a simulation of an arcade or lounge-room from the period.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Paladia wrote:
Like all emulators, Dolphin is almost only CPU dependent.

60 fps in stereo is not possible with my i7 at least, though I have one of the earlier i7 models.
If it's cpu-bound, then whether it's stereo or not won't make any difference to performance.

But I'm wondering if there's a good way to do the rendering so that it renders the same scene more than once, but with a different view/projection matrix. If the game was emulating at 30fps, but you could still update headtracking at 60fps, then there would be no problem. But I'm not sure the best way of doing that.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

2EyeGuy wrote:I think a PSX or SNES emulator would still be good for the Rift, even if it was just a large virtual screen floating in front of you, or a simulation of an arcade or lounge-room from the period.
This is an interesting idea. The arcade concept has been discussed and I believe Namielus is hard at work on something along those lines, but it ignores the larger fanbase of classic console games. I doubt I'd be the only one here who would love to see a Rift-based multi-emulator themed around "what my 10-year-old self's video game collection would have looked like had I been the spoiled child of multimillionaires" - some preposterously large rear-projection television first manufactured in 1990 hooked into an NES, a virtual shelf containing every cart ever made, a second giant CRT for using a real Wiimote to control a virtual Zapper, etc. The potential for companies with deep back catalogs to cash in on nostalgia is tremendous, but as per usual they currently seem disinterested when they aren't litigious. No matter - we can code around them.

The central theme of Howard Rheingold's seminal book on the then-history of VR bears repeating: If you think you've identified some element of human experience that utterly lacks the potential to be transformed or at least influenced by virtual or augmented reality technologies, it's very probable your imagination has failed you.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Haha!
This would be awesome. I sold my Wii some years ago, but I kept some games to play it using Dolphin (Yes that is true)
I know Dolphin has a "Debug"-Mode where you can control the camera directly, would be great to see this being used in games that support it.
I always wanted to play Metroid Prime Corruption again, maybe will get a chance to play it with the Rift :)
my list of games I want to play with the rift is growing and growing.. looks like a have to take a break from real life.. for a year or two :lol:
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
biolizard89
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by biolizard89 »

I got F-Zero GX on a Wii to output the correct FOV/aspect for the Rift, along with the stereo 3D that I got working earlier. I'm still waiting on a Rift to arrive, but this should be fun to play with once I have access to one. Here's a quick video I recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm5pXFM-XYU
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Looks like progress to me, keep up the good work!
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Bio,
When you get your Rift and try FZero for the first time, remember to have a trashcan by your side. Things could get pretty intense. When did you order the Rift?
biolizard89
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by biolizard89 »

yomer wrote:Bio,
When you get your Rift and try FZero for the first time, remember to have a trashcan by your side. Things could get pretty intense. When did you order the Rift?
My brother is actually the one who ordered it. I don't recall exactly when he ordered it, but the estimated shipping date was April rather than May.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

That's great. We'll be on watch pending your updates. Nice work.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

I just wrote a guide on how to get Dolphin to run on the Rift, you can find it here:
http://mushroomtomatoes.com/2013/08/how ... ulus-rift/

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Awesome! : D
biolizard89
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by biolizard89 »

Marulu wrote:I just wrote a guide on how to get Dolphin to run on the Rift, you can find it here:
Nice work, thanks for sharing.

I gather from reading the guide that it's using GPU hooks to implement the head tracking. If this is true, this will not work very well, as geometry culling will be a huge problem if you look off-center. The method I've been working on (which unfortunately is not yet ready, but which has made a lot of progress) actually overwrites the camera matrices in the game's RAM, which fools the game into culling geometry such that off-center looks just as good as centered. My method is being initially tested on a Wii, but should work fine on Dolphin too (not tested yet). The disadvantage of my method is that it needs the RAM addresses of the camera matrices, which change per game (right now the two games that are partially working are F-Zero GX and Starfox Assault).

In any event, it looks like it should be easy to combine my code with the guide you provided (just disable head tracking in the driver) once my code is ready.

Again, thanks for posting... and I apologize for the delays in getting my code ready... I have made a lot of progress, but school tends to get in the way of my desired time commitments.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

This is the last needed piece for me, will order a rift this weekend : ) currently playing endless ocean 2 and that would be an amazing fit with the rift I think.

Your method uses the dolphin built-in free-look and gnu hook is only for roll?
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Marulu wrote:I just wrote a guide on how to get Dolphin to run on the Rift, you can find it here:
Would be nice if you could do a list of supported/not supported games.

Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I tried it with Mario64. While it did work on a basic level, it wasn't a great experience. First, the 3D did not look good, but maybe that was just my settings. Also, culling was an issue with the head-tracking, meaning objects on the side of the view might disappear when looking around. But with some more tweaking, it could probably be fun. I'd also like to test a more modern game (like Metroid).
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

mr.uu wrote:
Would be nice if you could do a list of supported/not supported games.

Thanks!
All games supported by Dolphin should work.
But not all of them are going to be in 3D.

Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

cybereality wrote:I tried it with Mario64. While it did work on a basic level, it wasn't a great experience. First, the 3D did not look good, but maybe that was just my settings. Also, culling was an issue with the head-tracking, meaning objects on the side of the view might disappear when looking around. But with some more tweaking, it could probably be fun. I'd also like to test a more modern game (like Metroid).
The 3D is kinda a problem because to have an optimal experience you would have to adjust your Tridef 3D settings for every single different game you want to emulate. I only made this on one evening, I am using the free look feature of the emulator. The free look sadly has geometry culling problems in most (but not all) of the games. But combining the guide I made with @biolizard89´s head tracking method based on overwriting the memory of the game, would make this a way better experience.

Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

Since the thread got bumped I might as well tell GeraldT that if he's still interested to play Twilight Princess on the Rift, this dude on youtube is remaking the game in UDK so it would be way, WAY easier to implement proper rift support on that (with first person view, headtracking and all).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRQJXLbaDUI
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.

Return to “Oculus VR”