Just playing with my code

myoung
One Eyed Hopeful

Just playing with my code

Post by myoung »

I have never touched an Oculus Rift. But I have tried to get my code ready for it anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FdE3hSzrNU

http://fragmentbound.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/lawnmower-man-here-we-come.html

If anyone can give me any points that would be great.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Just playing with my code

Post by cybereality »

Cool man! Is this going to turn into a game, or is it something you are just messing with?
myoung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by myoung »

Really just something I'm playing around with it at this stage. The virtual texture render runs at a super high frame rate. (over 120 fps on my 460 gtx). So I was thinking it would be a good fit for VR.

Just started playing with some head positioning stuff, but nothing to report yet.
Any one getting any data out of a duel shock 3 gyroscope ?
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Neat looking! :D
I swapped the eyes on the YouTube video and was able to view it in 3D, crosseyed.. heh

Although, I think your 3D depth may be a bit off, at least in that video. It seems slightly weak, but sometimes it was hard to even notice a 3D effect at all.
I'm not sure if that's due to having the virtual-cameras/eyes too close together in-game, but that might be my guess. Have you tried increasing that a tiny bit?

It could just be because we have different eye separations tho, so it'd seem fine to you.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

NikoKun wrote:Neat looking! :D
I swapped the eyes on the YouTube video and was able to view it in 3D, crosseyed.. heh

Although, I think your 3D depth may be a bit off, at least in that video. It seems slightly weak, but sometimes it was hard to even notice a 3D effect at all.
I'm not sure if that's due to having the virtual-cameras/eyes too close together in-game, but that might be my guess. Have you tried increasing that a tiny bit?

It could just be because we have different eye separations tho, so it'd seem fine to you.
I just viewed it "wall-eyed" with default left-right view and the depth seemed fine. Maybe try viewing it on a smartphone and let your eyes relax til they've diverged and then converge the image. I think that viewing method automatically increases your IPD since your pupils are further away from each other.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

twofoe wrote:I just viewed it "wall-eyed" with default left-right view and the depth seemed fine. Maybe try viewing it on a smartphone and let your eyes relax til they've diverged and then converge the image. I think that viewing method automatically increases your IPD since your pupils are further away from each other.
That's a very good idea! :D Perfect way to test that theory too!

Only one problem.. I have a Nexus 7.. but I can't seem to get it to play YouTube videos with 3D properly, it just shows 1 eye or the other, sometimes glitching between both.. @_@..
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

convergence should be none for rift use.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

NikoKun wrote:Only one problem.. I have a Nexus 7.. but I can't seem to get it to play YouTube videos with 3D properly, it just shows 1 eye or the other, sometimes glitching between both.. @_@..
Ah, that's a shame. Is there any difference between viewing it on the web and viewing it on an app (if you have both options on android)?
PasticheDonkey wrote:convergence should be none for rift use.
True, but unfortunately there's no way to simulate that without 3D glasses, an HMD, or Fov2Go. Viewing the video crosseyed will make the video look flat and viewing it walleyed will make it "pop out" more than normal... I think. So hopefully that means viewing it through lenses will make it just perfect. We'll need someone with a 3DTV to confirm, or better yet someone with a DIY Rift.
drifter
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Just playing with my cock

Post by drifter »

myoung, do you use a homemade engine ?
Dakor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dakor »

Crazy, I just watched your clip on YT some days ago!
And I was wondering, you don't use Unity or UDK which would be the easiest way for Oculus support.
It looks nice so far :)
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
myoung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by myoung »

PasticheDonkey wrote:convergence should be none for rift use.
Now I think about it you are right. I'll give that a try. Thanks
drifter wrote:myoung, do you use a homemade engine ?
I have been working on that render for a while. You can see my progress on my you-tube channel or on my blog.
Dakor wrote:Crazy, I just watched your clip on YT some days ago!
And I was wondering, you don't use Unity or UDK which would be the easiest way for Oculus support.
It looks nice so far :)
You are right using Unity or UDK would be a lot easier. But I already had this renderer and it wasn't that hard to add the stereo code.
myoung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by myoung »

Its been a long time but my kit is finally here.
So I now have a video that actually works ;)
Right now I'm trying to get a demo together that people can try out for themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-PpuKyWQgk

Return to “Oculus VR”