3D Virtual Reality Gaming on a smartphone

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3D Virtual Reality Gaming on a smartphone

Post by tek2222 »

around 5 X magnification or more can be used. You could order my lens kit http://www.durovis.com.
Other options :
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Uhrmacher-Werkze ... 2eb953a091
Something like this. I'm not sure how good this works, it is not the same as the lens that i have.

For the OpenDive Demo in the Play Store, the head tracking latency results may vary with different chipsets, someone should make a website that lists phones that work good.
Most newer phones do although i have noticed more latency with the S3 than the Galaxy nexus due to different gyro chip manufacturers. The S2 may be fine though.
Please although the OpenDive Demo is very crude, it should mainly show the Head Tracking functionality. If you find it is good, please leave a comment and rate it. (I mean dont rate the graphics or the content but the latency.)
Head tracking in Unity is right now the same. I will post the Plugin for Unity very soon. Everybody can make games then for the OpenDive / Dive for free due to the fact that Unity Basic is free for Android and IOS and can be used with my Plugin without the Pro version.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=divegames&c=apps
Dive Unity Demo is out and :
http://www.durovis.com/software.html
The Plugin and demo project are out too.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Sorry for the delay in replying. Just to let you know the drift issue was just the phone having a moment. I went back to the orignal demos and it had started to do it on those also so all is good :).

Will download the unity plugin now and give it a go.

Weird question but does your plugin work on the PC as well as android? I guess the sensor data comes direct from the phone but didn't know if you could put the option to read sensor data from freepie? I want to play around with unity on the PC too but the Oculus dev kit doesn't support DIY Rift headsets. Just need a stereo 3d prefab with 1:1 aspect ratio and head tracking including roll.

Matt.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

Drift issues may arise on some smartphones, as drift is a complex issue that is solved differently by manufacturers of the gyro chip.

It's possible to implement that into the plugin at the future.

I develop by having a mouse script on the camera as well.
diphen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by diphen »

The design looks great!

I'd like to build one, but I have a couple of questions:

-What unit of measurement does the .stl file use? I was looking as using an online 3d printing service, but they generally ask about units. My first guess would be millimeters?

-Approximately how long does it take to print? I have a couple of local places I could go but they charge per minute, and it would be nice to have a idea of the cost beforehand. Chances are it will be printed on a MakerBot if done locally ( assuming it could handle the volume ).

-Does anyone have a lead on a supplier for the lenses in the U.S.? I'd order directly from Durovis, but the link sends me to amazon.de, which doesn't work well for me here.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

The STL file is in Millimeters.

Time to print on my RepRap was around 6 hours at 0.3mm Layer height. But this could be done quicker if I tuned the printer a bit for.

As for the lenses I ordered some from the amazon.de site and they arrived in the UK very quickly. Just use Google chrome to auto translate everything and it's not too bad. The lenses I actually have in mine at the oment though are from a 1.25" telescope eyepiece. It contained a pair of glass lenses exactly the same size as the open dive ones. I also got another set of lenses from a pair of cheap "kids" binoculars, the ones that are normally less than £10 and fit in your pocket. Could prob get some very cheap over there.

Matt.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”