large fresnel-assisted edge-to-edge displays

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
hifidelitygaming
One Eyed Hopeful

large fresnel-assisted edge-to-edge displays

Post by hifidelitygaming »

Although this is technically not an HMD or augmented reality setup, I put the most in general VR/AR because it didn't seem to fit the other forums as well. I hope the display to be just part of a more immersive system with human interface devices FWIW and thought that perhaps people pushing the boundaries a bit more would be reading here more often than like random general groups.

---

There's two things that I like about what i've seen of fresnel lenses so far - the almost total elimination of bezel thickness, and the 'depth of field' effect where the display seems to be much further away, which i'd have to think would be better for the eyes among other reasons. (normally eyes focus maybe 4ft in front, since the computer age started we now focus at the distance of typical computer monitors, which may contribute to difficulties focusing into the distance with excessive use by what i've seen) Making bezels irrelevant further makes it easier to use things like CRT's which i'm still a fan of for displays, often supporting 120hz for 3d support, nicer black levels, and exceptionally cheap availability used. Even without CRT's the same strategies still apply though.

When large 4k displays become inexpensive it will perhaps be less relevant, but it's still the case that they will lack the depth of field effect without a monster fresnel over it all, unless you go even LARGER just so you can have the display further away while still being encompassing, and unless designed for it wont be curved either. (or curved displays will be enough of a niche item, since i've only ever seen two proposed at CES and not produced so far, that even then there will still be reason for multipanel displays)

That being the case i'd still like to build up a large display, made out of either CRT's or used LCD's with thick bezels, combined with fresnel lenses to eliminate the bezels and get back a deep sense of focus. Are there any good resources other users can recommend to me, anything from where to find suitable fresnels of a size to work with up to 22-24" monitors or information about how to select an appropriate fresnel since I don't know if all would work, to others projects doing the same? My ideal at the moment would be 3 wide 2 high, all with CRT's, because I happen to already have 6 fairly well matched monitors. (two makes, three each, but same size and pixel density) Depending what I find in the future I might like to expand it even further to as many as 10-12. (if 10 being uneven if possible - 3 on the top row, 4 middle row, 3 bottom row, since outside the central two the rest are mostly for peripheral vision above below and to sides and that makes an oval covering it nicely) But just starting with what I have of 3-6.

Other possibilities include using optics to stretch 'outer' monitors in some way to cover more of a field of view (with reduced resolution) whose primary job is peripheral vision anyways, but first I want to see if I can make the rig work just going rectangular as it's a first step, and I don't have any image pre-warping software to make it work with existing apps/games.

I've been told in the past CRT's generally should not be turned onto their backs but didn't know if that applies to other non flat angles too - I don't know is this is "ever" or if there's some calibration to do to make even on it's back being fine, or if smaller angles like 15 degrees up or down would be negligible - I don't know whether CRT's would work for a 3 tall configuration but was hoping for 2 tall they would, the angle being miniscule enough to not damage it or cause a problem. However many arcade monitors were mounted at funny angles so i'm not sure why this should be a rule. If that fails LCD's would also work - having found 15" LCD's as low as $10 at thrift stores over time if I keep collecting them at those prices i'll soon have enough for a 10-12 array even if I can't use CRT's. :P

Any suggestions of how to go about this so I dont waste hundreds of dollars like on fresnels that wont even work?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”