Steve Mann: My Augmediated Life

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Steve Mann: My Augmediated Life

Post by dbuckvs »

Came across this article today, which is pretty awesome, and I thought would be very appropriate for here: http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/prof ... iated-life?

Pardon if it's a repost
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Steve Mann: My Augmediated Life

Post by cybereality »

Awesome article! Thanks for posting.

I've read about that guy before, but hadn't seen that particular article. Nice find.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Steve Mann: My Augmediated Life

Post by geekmaster »

I used to correspond via email with Steve Mann and Thad Starner back in those days. I still have my Twiddler keyboard and my PrivateEye HMD. Good times!

As I recall, Steve Mann was so "addicted" to spending virtually all his waking hours with his AR HMD (becoming a literal extension to his body), that he had a very difficult time when adjusting to airport security that forced him to remove it while travelling by air. Taking it off was reported to be as traumatic as removing a limb, if I remember correctly. Some of my old memories are getting mixed up lately, but I do not think they are far off the mark in this case...

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”