Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by Diorama »

Bookmark this thread! (or better yet, could a mod pin it? ;) ).

Now that we have hit March and the kits will start arriving in a few weeks, I think it would be a good idea to have a thread where people can say exactly when their Rift arrived, and when they ordered it.

For example:

"Got home from work to find a very welcome package by the door! 8-)
Kickstarter
Ordered: 4th August 2012
Arrived: March 22nd"

or
"I just got my Rift! :D
Post-Kickstarter
Ordered: 8th December 2012
Arrived: April 19th"

I think this will help people 'guesstimate' when their Rift might arrive, and give us a centralized place to see the Rifts start popping up all over the world!

I also think it's important to not clog the thread with other stuff like chat and speculation, start another thread if you would like to do that ;) PM me if you have any suggestions for this thread.

Who will be first?! :shock:
martinP
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by martinP »

Thats a good idea. Especially because Oculus will probably do not provide any information regarding shipping in advance.
Maybe also country and hour when pledged (because every hour meters when close to the 5000)
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

I just recently got an email back from oculus, i'll post it for your infos!
Hey!

We are currently updating our system to allow people to change their own address. We'll make sure everyone knows when it's ready, and you'll definitely get a chance to change your address before we start shipping.

Thanks,

- Andres
so we should all know just before they start shipping them out.
martinP
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by martinP »

I understand it that everyone will get the chance to change the address but no information on when his Rift arrives or if he is in the first batch or not ...
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I expect them to send out an email with tracking information - so this will be a lot of speculation and work only to get very little extra information.

But it is great to see how excited everyone is - this really is the premium VR nerd club. :mrgreen:

I am almost happy not to be an early backer, so I can relax more (since I am not in the first batch).
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

GeraldT wrote:I am almost happy not to be an early backer, so I can relax more (since I am not in the first batch).
Yea, that's the spirit. If you keep telling yourself that, you might come to actually believe it! ;)
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

almost THC, almost :lol:
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
GeraldT wrote:I am almost happy not to be an early backer, so I can relax more (since I am not in the first batch).
Yea, that's the spirit. If you keep telling yourself that, you might come to actually believe it! ;)
:D

Well, i also tried that and have been talking to myself "best thing not beeing in the first batch is all the most critical problems with existing drivers will be solved until i get my devkit"

But in real world: anticipation is (still) killing me!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I bit unfair I know, but I'll start this off since I was one of the pre-kickstarter backers - #9 overall in front of the Kickstarter list. I spent my first week at Oculus in Irvine, but had to fly back home at the end of the week. We had been tracking the pilot runs as they were boxed up and shipped over from China, and I knew that I was going to be cutting it close between flying out of Cali or getting my unit. The units were on the FedEx truck and so I waited at the office till the very last minute, but finally I decided that I couldn't wait any longer or I would miss my plane. Pissed because I had missed my dev kit by less than an hour - I packed my stuff and headed for the door. Just as I was heading out, the Fed Ex walked in !! I jumped up and down and then ripped open the box and dove into my unit. Two minutes later after Nirav got me a quick firmware update, I was out the door. So technically I cut 8 places in line to have the honor of being the very first recipient of the Dev Kit. :D

You can see the moment captured on the latest Kickstarter update...

Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Fantastic :) Just the stuff I want to see.
Including photos of your newly arrived Rift/Box is a great idea!
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

GeraldT wrote:I expect them to send out an email with tracking information - so this will be a lot of speculation and work only to get very little extra information.

But it is great to see how excited everyone is - this really is the premium VR nerd club. :mrgreen:

I am almost happy not to be an early backer, so I can relax more (since I am not in the first batch).
Gerald I Agree, This seems to be thee place to be for VR:)
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

Please excuse me :oops:

VR sports for brantlew :lol:
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

brantlew wrote:I bit unfair I know, but I'll start this off since I was one of the pre-kickstarter backers - #9 overall in front of the Kickstarter list. I spent my first week at Oculus in Irvine, but had to fly back home at the end of the week. We had been tracking the pilot runs as they were boxed up and shipped over from China, and I knew that I was going to be cutting it close between flying out of Cali or getting my unit. The units were on the FedEx truck and so I waited at the office till the very last minute, but finally I decided that I couldn't wait any longer or I would miss my plane. Pissed because I had missed my dev kit by less than an hour - I packed my stuff and headed for the door. Just as I was heading out, the Fed Ex walked in !! I jumped up and down and then ripped open the box and dove into my unit. Two minutes later after Nirav got me a quick firmware update, I was out the door. So technically I cut 8 places in line to have the honor of being the very first recipient of the Dev Kit. :D

So brant...how is it?????!!!! Have you really been holding out on us...

you bastard :D
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Such a heart warming tale, Brantlew.

The moral of the story, kids, is if you want to get your hands on a Rift as soon as possible, it helps to work for Oculus. :P

I should have ordered two, so that when they finally arrive I could go on a binge and wear them both at the same time!
TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

So awesome Brantlew!

The anticipation and feelings that go with that are only going to get worse the closer we get to a ship date! Unfortunately I had to wait until November to place my pre-order so probably won't get mine until April :( But I'm excited to see all the info, demos, etc, that you guys post when you get yours in March!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

brantlew wrote:So technically I cut 8 places in line to have the honor of being the very first recipient of the Dev Kit. :D
Technically that would be John Carmack, by several months. :P Although you may be the first official recipient of the 7" version.

From the sound of it Palmer had something special planned for you pre-kickstarters... does this mean you missed out on that?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

2EyeGuy wrote:
brantlew wrote:So technically I cut 8 places in line to have the honor of being the very first recipient of the Dev Kit. :D
Technically that would be John Carmack, by several months. :P Although you may be the first official recipient of the 7" version.

From the sound of it Palmer had something special planned for you pre-kickstarters... does this mean you missed out on that?

I got the first shipped factory unit.

I don't think I missed out on anything significant. I get plenty of perks behind the closed doors at Oculus. ;)
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

This will be a very interesting and exciting thread :)

...But it sure will suck for us commoners who ordered post-Kickstarter and are waiting in anticipation until late April at best or mid May at worst :cry:
Popopinsel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Popopinsel »

brantlew wrote:I bit unfair I know, but I'll start this off since I was one of the pre-kickstarter backers - #9 overall in front of the Kickstarter list. I spent my first week at Oculus in Irvine, but had to fly back home at the end of the week. We had been tracking the pilot runs as they were boxed up and shipped over from China, and I knew that I was going to be cutting it close between flying out of Cali or getting my unit. The units were on the FedEx truck and so I waited at the office till the very last minute, but finally I decided that I couldn't wait any longer or I would miss my plane. Pissed because I had missed my dev kit by less than an hour - I packed my stuff and headed for the door. Just as I was heading out, the Fed Ex walked in !! I jumped up and down and then ripped open the box and dove into my unit. Two minutes later after Nirav got me a quick firmware update, I was out the door. So technically I cut 8 places in line to have the honor of being the very first recipient of the Dev Kit. :D

Awesome story brantlew! :lol:
Arni1984
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arni1984 »

Hello community! I booked my DEV KIT November 24 ... Seems I read somewhere that the plant will produce up to 500 sets a day! Is that so? In such shipments, orders must come quickly ... :mrgreen:
So as there was information that the delivery address should be written in English ... Unfortunately, the information I have learned after being ordered Dev kit.
I had to put shipping address in English? It is necessary? And how is it done? Or all the same in OCULUS themselves will understand? :D
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Arni1984 wrote:Hello community! I booked my DEV KIT November 24 ... Seems I read somewhere that the plant will produce up to 500 sets a day! Is that so? In such shipments, orders must come quickly ... :mrgreen:
So as there was information that the delivery address should be written in English ... Unfortunately, the information I have learned after being ordered Dev kit.
I had to put shipping address in English? It is necessary? And how is it done? Or all the same in OCULUS themselves will understand? :D
When I do foreign shipments, I usually attach TWO address labels, one in English and another in the target language (such as Russian/Cyrillic). Or when drop-shipping, I also request that the supplier use dual-language address labels. This may be more important for addresses that use a different alphabet. Of course, doing so may depend on the requirements of your selected shipping service.

Can Oculus use dual-language shipping labels?
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

Whenever I think about the Rift now I get that adrenaline heart rush like when you think of a new love when dating... It's insane.
Never before felt anything like this of some gadget even though I'm this electronics freak...

When we've waited for all these years to have a Luckey moment to finally get our own piece of VR history; the agony of waiting just gets crazier the closer we get!

:ugeek:
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

A bit early for this thread, I think.

I'm definitely not helping things by adding to it with this post, but I am pretty much expecting that this thread will become busy in about two weeks (+- ~3 days), with the first shipping notifications being sent out. That would make the most sense to me if the first Rifts are going to be in people's hands before the 25th.

SO CLOSE!!! Plus at least a month from that point for my own dev kit, but I cannot wait to read the millions of impressions that will flood in!
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

exciting times are coming to MTBS!!!
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Arni1984 wrote:Hello community! I booked my DEV KIT November 24 ... Seems I read somewhere that the plant will produce up to 500 sets a day! Is that so? In such shipments, orders must come quickly ...
500 sets a day is the target which I'm pretty sure will not happen with a factory gearing back up from long holiday. It will take them a while to get back to full production. Somebody around here who sounded like they know what they were talking about said its not as easy as flipping a switch and then all of a sudden 500 units get spit out automatically.

Also, it takes a month to get a batch of units from China to fullfillment center. Then another week or so at least to be shipped to you. Don't mean to dissapoint you but it does not sound like orders will "come quickly". It sounds slow as molasses to me :o
MadBlax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadBlax »

IMO I think all the kits will probably come to their office, from China. Then they will reship them out properly labeled, so depending on the man power they have to repackage could be a while yet. I assume they won't just let any old person in there handling the kits.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Development kits begin shipping soon! Assuming you’re in the first batch of development kits to ship out...
So the kits are going to ship on the day after tomorrow!

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
tcboy88
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tcboy88 »

will order 03562 in the 1st batch?
But I am in South Korea... so probably it takes long time to ship T_T
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

My order status used to say ready now it says approved what the hell does that even mean!! have i been moved backwards or forwards?!
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

Nogard wrote:My order status used to say ready now it says approved what the hell does that even mean!! have i been moved backwards or forwards?!
Most likely your payment is approved, while your order is ready. Look more carefully, the status of your payment is at the bottom of the page while the order number and its status are at the top.
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

alekki wrote:
Nogard wrote:My order status used to say ready now it says approved what the hell does that even mean!! have i been moved backwards or forwards?!
Most likely your payment is approved, while your order is ready. Look more carefully, the status of your payment is at the bottom of the page while the order number and its status are at the top.
oh ...yeah :oops:
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

tcboy88 wrote:will order 03562 in the 1st batch?
But I am in South Korea... so probably it takes long time to ship T_T
The ironic thing is: you live right near the factory, but they will ship it half way around the world and back again before you can have it. And they will charge extra for doing that. :( I hope that means they are including something special from the USA in each box.

Nobody knows how big the first batch is, except Oculus. And they won't tell us. They said 5,000 a long time ago, so you probably are in the first batch. But we don't know for sure.

This is getting very exciting.
hammerbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hammerbot »

Lets not forget that they have already sent out tons of headsets to a VIP.

The first batch will be probab
U around 3000
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

I placed my order mid october 2012 and mine also says order ready but im Order 020642 .
So 3000 in first batch isnt going to go far lol or am i missing something here :o
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

There's been no confirmation that any of the finalized production units have gone to VIPs. We know that the pre-production batch went out to VIPs though. And brantlew's post in this thread about 'the first dev kit' is referring to the pilot / pre-production run, not the first final production run.

Rickardo69, for more info on what the order #s correspond to, see this thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=16098
Or you can jump directly to this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing
For a very rough guess of order # correspondence to your position in the Rift queue.
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

Thanks for that info mscoder610
queue position 8719 my god that sucks lol
Would be interesting to here if somebody with a higher queue position has a "order Ready" status.
just seems strange to have that if your not going to be receiving it for another month or so, i can wait :woot
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Have anyone's orders been marked as shipped? I'm 811 here and no sign of shipping.

Perhaps they aren't shipping in order.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

zalo wrote:Have anyone's orders been marked as shipped? I'm 811 here and no sign of shipping.

Perhaps they aren't shipping in order.
Perhaps they aren't shipping at all....maybe tomorrow.
phoenix96
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phoenix96 »

My order # is in the first 100 and there's been no status update.
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

In the 9000s here and mine says approved/ready. Probably just some final final confirmation of order/payment processing.

Return to “Oculus VR”