Demo a rift devkit?

Tbone
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Demo a rift devkit?

Post by Tbone »

rmcclelland wrote:Added myself near Washington DC. Only one so far in that area.

I can't believe how many Europeans there are!
Praise be to Palmer! Look for a PM from me, rmcclelland!
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

rmcclelland wrote:Added myself near Washington DC. Only one so far in that area.

I can't believe how many Europeans there are!
I think I know why. In Europe the Amiga was HUGE and in all the Amiga magazines there were articles about virtual reality made with the amiga:

I think this image has been burned into the brain of most Amiga users ever since.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

KBK wrote:
Fredz wrote:I've created an "Oculus Rift demoers" map on Google Maps. Feel free to add yourself, it should be editable by anyone :
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... d41543084a

I've added myself with my forum/kickstarter nick in the title and my backing date and a text saying I'm open for demoing around Perpignan, France in the description. I didn't add the precise location of where I live though, I'm not that adventurous, I pinned the train station instead. :P
moving the google map up to the current page, it's getting lost back there on page 3
Same

Set up a google account, log in and hit edit, choose the blue blob on the map and move to your home town.

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Parallaxis wrote:I think I know why. In Europe the Amiga was HUGE and in all the Amiga magazines there were articles about virtual reality made with the amiga.
I don't think that's why, because Palmer already said most of the orders are from the USA.

The real reason is either:
1) Europeans have been raised to believe in sharing, while Americans are selfish jerks.
or 2) Europeans are more likely to think there won't be anyone else nearby who has a Rift so they have to be the ones to demo it themselves.
Nyrad2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nyrad2k »

I'm from Vienna, Austria and willing to Demo the Rift but i want to try things first on my PC before i'm committing myself so i'm gonna wait until we have the Dev Kits in our Hands ;)
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

2EyeGuy wrote:
Parallaxis wrote:I think I know why. In Europe the Amiga was HUGE and in all the Amiga magazines there were articles about virtual reality made with the amiga.
I don't think that's why, because Palmer already said most of the orders are from the USA.

The real reason is either:
1) Europeans have been raised to believe in sharing, while Americans are selfish jerks.
or 2) Europeans are more likely to think there won't be anyone else nearby who has a Rift so they have to be the ones to demo it themselves.
The real reason is we don´t think we are going to get gunned down and have our Rift taken, like some paranoid Americans do.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

2EyeGuy wrote:1) Europeans have been raised to believe in sharing, while Americans are selfish jerks.

Seriously though, Marulu's got it right - it's mostly just because we're all effing terrified of each other.

EDIT: While I'm not terribly keen on inviting any local meth-head or crack addict to come check out my expensive new computer-mo-tron (where I live people are entirely willing to steal the copper out of the walls of buildings that are otherwise empty, and that guy who's going to get the death penalty for killing some people he lured with phony job offers on Craigslist? That was one city over - the nicer one), I do think we'll eventually see a "Rift Bus" of the sort mentioned in the SXSW panel. Additionally, even a paranoid American like myself can see the benefit of a "Rift Meetup" if one-on-one demos remain scary - two or more people bring Rifts and gaming computers to a semi-public place, hold demos if they choose, play some multiplayer games LAN party-style, and maybe even test each others' new game builds? I'll bring the beer if you don't bring the guns!
Last edited by nateight on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

nateight wrote:Seriously though, Marulu's got it right - it's mostly just because we're all effing terrified of each other.
But I thought you all had guns to protect yourselves with! :lol:
I have noticed that trend in thoughts; people seem to be worried that if they are using the Rift + headphones it'll immediately entice murderers, arsonists and psychopaths into their home.

As far as demoing goes, no concerns had really crossed my mind. Anyone coming to try it out would most likely be shorter and geekier than me :lol:
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Yep. what 'mericuh tends to look like..from the outside. maybe the inside too:

Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

"Backed on first day of the Kickstarter. Also owner of a DIY-Rift and author of the vorpX 3d-driver for the Rift. Open for demos near Bremen, Germany. info@vorpx.com"

Are you kiddin me??? My brother in Bremen will be able to check the Rift out before I even get it ... that is so unfair :lol: ... need to inform him, right after I get my Rift :twisted:
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

nateight wrote:EDIT: While I'm not terribly keen on inviting any local meth-head or crack addict to come check out my expensive new computer-mo-tron (where I live people are entirely willing to steal the copper out of the walls of buildings that are otherwise empty, and that guy who's going to get the death penalty for killing some people he lured with phony job offers on Craigslist? That was one city over - the nicer one)
TheHolyChicken wrote:I have noticed that trend in thoughts; people seem to be worried that if they are using the Rift + headphones it'll immediately entice murderers, arsonists and psychopaths into their home.
Fortunately, I live in nice safe Adelaide, Australia. Yep, nothing to worry about here in Adelaide...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjRk9fzPLc[/youtube]
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

It may also have something to do with the fact that just about every European is an hour away from a Rift owner.

The ones closest to me in California are probably two-three hours away.
Cymatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cymatic »

nateight wrote:Additionally, even a paranoid American like myself can see the benefit of a "Rift Meetup" if one-on-one demos remain scary - two or more people bring Rifts and gaming computers to a semi-public place, hold demos if they choose, play some multiplayer games LAN party-style, and maybe even test each others' new game builds? I'll bring the beer if you don't bring the guns!
This is exactly what I would like to see! Rift demos at the local starbucks or something! :lol:
Cymatic Bruce, VR Evangelist, Developer Relations @ Qualia3d
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

It could also be a difference in how many Europeans frequent these boards, for whatever reason. Maybe americans are more likely to buy this with less serious intent, and hence are less likely to participate in the online community about it. Maybe we are more likely to be self-centered about it, regardless of our level of commitment.
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Drewbdoo »

Cymatic wrote:
nateight wrote:Additionally, even a paranoid American like myself can see the benefit of a "Rift Meetup" if one-on-one demos remain scary - two or more people bring Rifts and gaming computers to a semi-public place, hold demos if they choose, play some multiplayer games LAN party-style, and maybe even test each others' new game builds? I'll bring the beer if you don't bring the guns!
This is exactly what I would like to see! Rift demos at the local starbucks or something! :lol:
I would totally do this if I had a laptop that could push it. As it is, I'm not hauling my 690II into a coffee shop... Well, maybe - I'm a barista and know every shop in town, lol. That I might have to charge like $1/5 minutes or something.
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

I really would like to offer a demo, and from what I see I'm one of the only people in Toronto Ontario.
The only reason I've decided against it st because I'm a girl and there are some shady people in Toronto LOL
Wouldn't want to get jumped and get my laptop AND rift stolen! :o
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Kerry wrote:I really would like to offer a demo, and from what I see I'm one of the only people in Toronto Ontario.
The only reason I've decided against it st because I'm a girl and there are some shady people in Toronto LOL
Then why tell someone? Or do you expect people to suddenly decide to rob you because your are a girl?

People - before you demo it, you have contact, maybe have a phone call and get to know each other. And then decide if you want to give out your address.
If everyone is just scared, that is a sad society to live in.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

GeraldT wrote:
Kerry wrote:I really would like to offer a demo, and from what I see I'm one of the only people in Toronto Ontario.
Then why tell someone? Or do you expect people to suddenly decide to rob you because your are a girl?

People - before you demo it, you have contact, maybe have a phone call and get to know each other. And then decide if you want to give out your address.
I have a four year old daughter at my house. I think there's a difference between being scared and being careful, especially when others are involved.

I'll always err on the side of caution when it comes to her.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Pingles wrote:
GeraldT wrote:

I have a four year old daughter at my house. I think there's a difference between being scared and being careful, especially when others are involved.

I still feel that this being scared is out of place. But I grew up at a place where people could leave their front doors unlocked. If you feel unsafe, then ask a couple of friends over.
With that attitude don't complain if nobody helps you after your terrible car accident because they are all too scared it might be setup etc.
HarleyMills
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HarleyMills »

This. People are scared of everything these days. Well maybe they always have. Pingles, you should watch the Bullshit episode on stranger danger. Penn and Teller really sum this topic up perfectly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx6nGxw_hnM In this situation you have even less to be worried about as you are interacting with fellow Rift fans. They aren't exactly your average stranger on the street. Just bring a friend and you have nothing to worry about. VR nerds are a bunch of weaklings. :lol:
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

GeraldT wrote:
I still feel that this being scared is out of place. But I grew up at a place where people could leave their front doors unlocked. If you feel unsafe, then ask a couple of friends over.
With that attitude don't complain if nobody helps you after your terrible car accident because they are all too scared it might be setup etc.
Where did you see me say I was scared?
You live in Austria, I live in downtown Toronto, if I left my door unlocked, I'd probably return to an empty apartment LOL I really don't' see why you're judging me for being cautious, when you don't even live in my area.
Just to clear it up, I wasn't insinuating someone on here would jump me, in my head I could see myself getting robbed by some crackhead on the way to Starbuck or someplace to give a demo. (yes I have been robbed before so I'm not being paranoid)
Fieno
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fieno »

Kerry wrote:
GeraldT wrote:
You live in Austria, I live in downtown Toronto, if I left my door unlocked, I'd probably return to an empty apartment LOL I really don't' see why you're judging me for being cautious, when you don't even live in my area.
Just to clear it up, I wasn't insinuating someone on here would jump me, in my head I could see myself getting robbed by some crackhead on the way to Starbuck or someplace to give a demo. (yes I have been robbed before so I'm not being paranoid)
I'm just north of Toronto (GTA) and will likely be demoing my unit.

Cheers
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Kerry wrote: Where did you see me say I was scared?
... in my head I could see myself getting robbed by some crackhead on the way to Starbuck ...
Obviously I was completely off. But what do you do then? Never leave the house unless you absolutely can't avoid it?

Sorry - no I don't know how or where you live, but I do know tons of people that are made illogically cautious by media. If you feel that unsafe where you live, then move. If your answer is - "I don't have the money!" ... then don't buy a Rift, save money to move. But living like that can't be the solution.
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

Fieno wrote:
Kerry wrote:
GeraldT wrote:
Just to clear it up, I wasn't insinuating someone on here would jump me, in my head I could see myself getting robbed by some crazy person on the way to Starbuck or someplace to give a demo. (yes I have been robbed before so I'm not being paranoid)
I'm just north of Toronto (GTA) and will likely be demoing my unit.

Cheers
Nice to see another person from Toronto area :)
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

yep, I'm over here in Kingston, down the road from Toronto. I live on a wooded private road, just out of the city. I had my brand new bike stolen out of the garage. The brand new bike that I bought to replace the other brand new bike that had been stolen before..as..you see..the bike before that had been stolen. (3x!) Ouch. But, these things happen everywhere, not just here. I'm irritated as I'm not wanting to buy a third bike, but that is how I get my exercise -I ride bikes like a foolish teenager. (watch out, madman at the helm!)
Last edited by KBK on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
WormSlayer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WormSlayer »

My biggest concern now is disappointing people! If the level of interest I've had in my offer to demo is any indication, they are going to be lined up for hours to get just a couple of minutes on the Rift :S
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

KBK wrote:yep, I'm over here in Kingston, down the road from Toronto. I live on a wooded private road, just out of the city. I had my brand new bike stolen out of the garage. The brand new bike that I bought to replace the other brand new bike that had been stolen before. But, these things happen everywhere, not just here. I'm irritated as I'm not wanting to buy a third bike, but that is how I get my exercise -I ride bikes like a foolish teenager. (watch out, madman at the helm!)
Bikes are stolen everywhere :)
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

KBK wrote:yep, I'm over here in Kingston, down the road from Toronto. I live on a wooded private road, just out of the city. I had my brand new bike stolen out of the garage. The brand new bike that I bought to replace the other brand new bike that had been stolen before. But, these things happen everywhere, not just here. I'm irritated as I'm not wanting to buy a third bike, but that is how I get my exercise -I ride bikes like a foolish teenager. (watch out, madman at the helm!)
Oh no that sucks!
I've had my car windows smashed twice, once for a $50 gps and the other time there was nothing in there! LOL
But I love Toronto and would never move :D
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

I corrected my post. it was actually three times. If I buy another, it will be the 4th bike in ..3 years? I never got to ride any of the last two, and consequently started to get slow and fat. the last one stolen was a very nice $800 unit on sale for $299. I had maybe 5 rides on it. Now I have to buy that 4th one. Gotta bite it, grind my teeth... and do it. Gonna die of sloth if I don't.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Kerry wrote: But I love Toronto and would never move :D
You can't leave the house to have a coffee at starbucks without the fear of being robbed - and you love that?

You just made #1 on my "crazy people" list! ;)
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

GeraldT wrote:
Kerry wrote: But I love Toronto and would never move :D
You can't leave the house to have a coffee at starbucks without the fear of being robbed - and you love that?

You just made #1 on my "crazy people" list! ;)
Wow are you still on this subject :lol:
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

[quote="GeraldT]bikes are stolen everywhere![/quote]
Indeed! Living in Tokyo, I saw I guy leave a 17" MacBook Pro and huge Wacom tablet on the table in a crowded Burger King, and take a 10 minute dump. Nobody touched it or even eyed it up. In south London it would be goooooooone.
I left bags on trains, including a huge Canon bag with Canon strap, many times and never had anything stolen. Once left my bike for literally 2 minutes outside McDonald's, boom, gone.

Bikes are stolen everywhere.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Diorama wrote:[quote="GeraldT]bikes are stolen everywhere!
Indeed! Living in Tokyo, I saw I guy leave a 17" MacBook Pro and huge Wacom tablet on the table in a crowded Burger King, and take a 10 minute dump. Nobody touched it or even eyed it up. In south London it would be goooooooone.
I left bags on trains, including a huge Canon bag with Canon strap, many times and never had anything stolen. Once left my bike for literally 2 minutes outside McDonald's, boom, gone.

Bikes are stolen everywhere.[/quote][/quote]

I have had nothing stolen except for bikes. A friend of mine, student at the time, well educated, far from being poor - he stole a bike. His logic (it was Hamburg), if you leave your bike unlocked, then it is a community bike for everyone to use. When he got a bike, his chain was worth more than the bike (true story). People in HH are already used to buying their first bike new, and the second one on the used bike market where all the stolen ones end up.
If you want an expensive bike, then it is a pita, because you can't leave it out of sight.

Bikes ;)

@crazy person :lol: (I hope you take it as fun!!) - I don't think this topic has any need for staying straight on topic, the important part is on the Google page anyway :)
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I've never had a bike stolen. I have, however, had the lock stolen off of my bike.
Figure that one out.
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

I love stealing bikes! Oh, man... I have 3 or 4 in my garage right now. Mmm... this conversation makes me feel like going out to steal one right now.

Anyways... who wants to let me try their rift? ;)
Cymatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cymatic »

For folks that are in the Bay Area, I created a Google Group to organize meets and demos:

Bay Area VR Devs

There are several makerspaces, hackerspaces, and sweet libraries that could provide nice semi-public locales for enthusiasts to gather and be nerdy. Feel free to join if interested!
Cymatic Bruce, VR Evangelist, Developer Relations @ Qualia3d
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

GeraldT wrote:But I grew up at a place where people could leave their front doors unlocked.
Can someone explain what that means? Because it's not at all obvious. Do you mean they leave the doors unlocked when they're home (Doesn't everyone? I don't know anyone who locks their doors while they're home), or do you mean they leave their doors unlocked when they go out?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Pingles wrote:I have a four year old daughter at my house. I think there's a difference between being scared and being careful, especially when others are involved.

Are you the guy from South Africa? If so, you are right to be careful. Or if you live in an area that has similar demographics to South Africa, then you are also right to be careful. Otherwise, you are probably wrong. There is a difference between being scared and being careful, and you are being scared.

Remember (depending on the demographics where you live), a visitor wanting to try your Rift is more likely to be a doctor who could save her life in an emergency than a murderer wanting to take it.
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

2EyeGuy wrote:
GeraldT wrote:But I grew up at a place where people could leave their front doors unlocked.
Can someone explain what that means? Because it's not at all obvious. Do you mean they leave the doors unlocked when they're home (Doesn't everyone? I don't know anyone who locks their doors while they're home), or do you mean they leave their doors unlocked when they go out?
Unlocked when they are not home. For example I lived in Rural Canada, locking your door just means you end up with a broken window as well as all your stuff stolen. On the other note, my wife is paranoid as hell and since we live in the city center she locks the door all the time when we're home
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Leahy wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote:
Unlocked when they are not home. For example I lived in Rural Canada, locking your door just means you end up with a broken window as well as all your stuff stolen. On the other note, my wife is paranoid as hell and since we live in the city center she locks the door all the time when we're home
Where I grew up it was normal to have your door unlocked when you were home. Almost all doors could be opened from the outside, so any neighbor (or mass murderer :lol: ) was able to come in.
But when we were not at home, the door was locked. Also at night the door was locked ( at least most of the time ).
And nobody was afraid of being robbed.
It was a small village and I never heard about anyone being robbed. But even after moving to Hamburg - I only once had a friend into whose place was broken in. And he lived in a very come down neighborhood. Smashed a window and got some small stuff - most likely to buy drugs. Nobody was harmed.

That is the only incident I know of and that was one of the worst places in Hamburg - in over 10 years living there. But robbing peoples homes when they are not at home and hurting a person are two very different things imo.

Return to “Oculus VR”