YEI or Hillcrest Tracker for UDK?

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

YEI or Hillcrest Tracker for UDK?

Post by Dantesinferno »

which has better utilization with the unreal engine?
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Re: YEI or Hillcrest Tracker for UDK?

Post by RoadKillGrill »

I have already gotten the YEI 3-Space Sensor into UDK rather easily via DLL bind
http://tech.yostengineering.com/3-space ... g-with-udk

Really either tracker should be able to be implemented into UDK so it is likely more of preference.
The ability to bind DLLs makes it easy to add just about anything to UDK.

I work on the YEI sensors so I am a little biased :P
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Also the YEI tracker has a magnetometer, so it's not subject to yaw drift like with the Hillcrest model that was used for the Doom 3 demo (FSRK-USB-2, renamed to FSM-6 now it seems).

The FSM-9 doesn't have this problem since it integrates a magnetometer, but it's also more expensive ($249 vs $99).

And the YEI can update at 1000Hz, where the Hillcrest does 250Hz with a firmware update (125Hz by default).

I don't work neither at Hillcrest Labs or Yost Engineering, so I'm not biased. :)
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

Thanks for the info guys! Is the yei tracker USB ready out the box? Or do I have to solder it on? Also, I may need you guys' help with code soon, I'm working on a vr gun, and I need it to just control the movement of the gun, and have the rift control the head camera , once I get the tracker ill update you guys. Are you guys at YEI trying to partner with Oculus, since the YEI is better than the hillcrest tracker? Thanks ahead of time!
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoadKillGrill »

@Dantesinferno depends on the model you buy.
The Embedded is very small and light and the most affordable but does require some soldering to add a USB cord. They also should have a covering to prevent dust and direct contact with the board.
The other models are cased and have a mini USB connector and buttons, these ones are ready out of box.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Thinking about it, why don't you sell a version of the 3-Space Sensor Embedded already soldered with a USB cable ? I guess it wouldn't affect the cost that much and you would sell a lot more of them, at least to VR enthusiasts.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”