Audio. and stuff. Maybe insanity?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Audio. and stuff. Maybe insanity?

Post by bobv5 »

I didn't know where to post this, hope it is an acceptable place.

"Which came from a guy who self admitted...that he paid his way through school by getting undressed and allowing an old lady beat him. For money. then he joined the military. and killed people in foreign countries."

More info would be good. I have no idea what you are talking about.

"Please, let's keep it civil. In the meantime I recommend reading NwAvGuy's article on subjective bias."

Yes. some links...

http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/s ... ebate.html

http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/what-we-hear.html

http://seanolive.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04 ... oduct.html

"I just got four more quad-core CPU chips in the mail today, now I have to replace the dual cores in a couple of my dual-CPU boxes..."

Geekmaster, are you using silver based thermal paste? If not your rig will never be as good as mine. I have silver thermal paste so my single chip quad core CPU will give a more consistant frame rate. That is more good.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Audio. and stuff. Maybe insanity?

Post by cybereality »

Definitely insanity.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

i think going beyond elucidation could not be civil.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

bobv5 wrote:... Geekmaster, are you using silver based thermal paste? If not your rig will never be as good as mine. I have silver thermal paste so my single chip quad core CPU will give a more consistant frame rate. That is more good.
Of course. :D I have always used silver paste, since I first became aware of its existence quite some time ago.

Sadly, it really does not help on my new i7-3770K, which hovers at max temp when doing the (beta) POVRay benchmark with all 4 cores blazing. There was a report that cracking off the heat spreader on the CPU and replacing the internal (non-silver) thermal paste with silver paste makes it run 3-degrees (C) cooler under a high load. The earlier Sandy Bridge CPU used a soldered-on heat spreader. A lot of good it does to get the unlocked (K) version, when it is not particularly overclockable anyway...

EDIT: Excessive insanity deleted... Those who may be interested probably already read it anyway, and I prefer a degree of anonymity that requires NOT describing my office contents. Thanks...

Let's just say that I have collected computer equipment for 50 years, and I do cluster computing, with a "wall of pixels", and leave it at that... I want an HMD that will let me carry my "wall of pixels" with me, so I will not be stuck at home all the time.
Last edited by geekmaster on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Cool! I just found my speakers. Technics SST-1. I have a pair. AVS Forums says "limited run 1990-92 by Technics, imported from Japan" and "rare as hen's teeth" and "Original retail cost was $2500 USD in 1990-91". That is the price I was quoted (per speaker). I got a good deal from the store on a used pair, but still an awful lot of money back then. I had them hanging on both sides of my 11-foot diagonal projection screen, with seating 5-6 feet in front of the screen. Big immersive FoV (just like sitting front-row center at the movie theater). Really great for playing Descent!

The sound really is more "real" than any other speakers I have ever heard. Even the pets heard the difference (and looked for the people playing acoustic music in the living room). It really did sound like a real band was playing real instruments right there in the room with us. Amazing. Some would say those speakers were "insane" too. That was "real money" back in those days. My memory is hazy on WHEN, though. I am POSITIVE I had them about 30 years ago (back when we had pets). Did they make a previous limited run earlier than 1990, or is my memory shot?

Mine are white:

Reality and memory are not in sync on this one. Getting old sucks. :( Awesome speakers though!

EDIT: Wow! There was an SST-1 set (with subwoofer) that sold on ebay for $25,000 USD:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SST-1- ... 502wt_1165
The listing says "the most highly prized Technics speaker system that Technics ever made". Cool!
Last edited by geekmaster on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Is it okay to hijack the "insanity" thread?

EDIT: Okay, this is not even VR/AR related, per se. Perhaps we should just let this thread die.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

bobv5 wrote:I didn't know where to post this, hope it is an acceptable place.

"Which came from a guy who self admitted...that he paid his way through school by getting undressed and allowing an old lady beat him. For money. then he joined the military. and killed people in foreign countries."

More info would be good. I have no idea what you are talking about.

That came from a guy who was posting on a audio website. He always gave me grief for my postings calling them crazy. Then, over a period of time..... he admitted the above.

Then it just spins out of control, if that wasn't bad enough. Nobody needs the drama.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”