Immersive shooting concept

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Direlight
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Immersive shooting concept

Post by Direlight »

Had a great idea watching this old video.

http://vimeo.com/673831

What if we combined this crosshair free light gun setup with the hl2 gun mod? Change a few things too...

- Use motion tracking (motionplus) for 360 degree movement
- Positional tracking on both the gun and Rift so you can raise the gun up for "natural" iron sights/scope
- Laser sight function for those who want it, replaces crosshair
- Make gun animation track your movement so you can kind of sense where you're pointing the gun barrel
- Shift gun model to a more centered angle, similar to old FPS
- Support for 2 weapons at once
- A "reorient button" which disables game control when pushed, so you can readjust your position in case of minor drift or something else.

Would probably need some extensive expert coding done, and might work best with Rift specific game. *cough*Doom 4*cough*
adoral84

Re: Immersive shooting concept

Post by adoral84 »

Direlight wrote:Had a great idea watching this old video.

http://vimeo.com/673831

What if we combined this crosshair free light gun setup with the hl2 gun mod? Change a few things too...

- Use motion tracking (motionplus) for 360 degree movement
- Positional tracking on both the gun and Rift so you can raise the gun up for "natural" iron sights/scope
- Make gun animation track your movement so you can kind of sense where you're pointing the gun barrel
- Support for 2 weapons at once
- A "reorient button" which disables game control when pushed, so you can readjust your position in case of minor drift or something else.

Would probably need some extensive expert coding done, and might work best with Rift specific game. *cough*Doom 4*cough*
I want to do this in my mod with optical tracking, but it may be feasible to do with just the head/neck model and the relative roll between the head and the gun when positional tracking isn't available.

This was one of the things that fell off my todo list for some reason but I definitely need to do this for the HL2 mod, it's nice to remove the floating crosshair even though they're not too noticeable.

This is a big one, I wouldn't go full out centered like doom but the normal view model angles in most games feels really odd in an HMD. I actually did this a bit in the hl2 mod already but not as much as I wanted because the alignment of all the guns is slightly different. I've got the code in to allow each gun to be configured separately but I need to reorigin the view models so they're easier to animate.
Direlight

Re: Immersive shooting concept

Post by Direlight »

You're definitely further along then anyone else I know of. I think the main idea is making the weapon less like a floating prop, and more like a dynamic object you directly use. Hopefully we'll see more FREEpie and official in-game support, this could make porting it to mods and new games more flexible/easier.

Control devices and computers are advanced enough now we could do things like prying open doors using a weapon. Another advantage could be firing at multiple targets at once (dual pistols), realistic melee/range (pistol + crowbar), or weapon/shield. If anything VR should be superior to regular controls, combat efficiency wise.

Great example of how powerful motion controls are:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnV8ykNUlwY[/youtube]

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”