Speech recognition and speech synthesizes

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Speech recognition and speech synthesizes

Post by virror »

So, when has the technology for voice recognition and synthesizes evolved to the point it can be used in games to communicate with NPCs?
I think a simple version of this can be used already, like a shop NPC can react on voice within a certain radius of the player and a set of words like shop, buy, sell, trade, would be pretty cool i think.
Any game tried this yet? Also local voice chat in an MMO would be cool, so you could talk to everyone within a certain radius.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Speech recognition and speech synthesizes

Post by MSat »

I think speech recognition and synthesis can have a ton of value not just for interacting with NPCs, but for things like menus and status as well. For instance, instead of having a hud for information such as health or ammo in the player's view, why not call out something like "health status" which responds with the answer, as if the avatar has a voice operated PDA? It's also useful in cases where you don't have enough buttons on your controllers for all the in-game functionality.

Speech recognition has come a long way, and I believe is sufficiently mature and robust to be usable in games (or content creation software). The only thing that may be holding people back is their reluctance to use it.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

MSat wrote:y not call out something like "health status" which responds with the answer, as if the avatar has a voice operated PDA?
I really dislike that idea. Your health is something you need to be able to ascertain very quickly. Having to say something, then listen to someone say a response, is way too slow of a feedback cycle. Its extremely cumbersome, and likely much more annoying, than a classic health bar. Granted, a health bar may not be appropriate for a VR game, but I would honestly prefer to have a health bar flash up in the center of my vision when I get hurt rather than having to activate a voice command, as awful as that would be.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Fair enough. It was just one example. I still think it has plenty of viable uses.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”