has anybody mentioned the Novint Falcon?

mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

has anybody mentioned the Novint Falcon?

Post by mayaman »

I have had a Novint Falcon for a while and I really like it. It could use more support though. Imagine it coupled with the rift though! I think it would be a great combo and could actually help revive the Falcon.

Thoughts?
Endothermic

Re: has anybody mentioned the Novint Falcon?

Post by Endothermic »

It has been mentioned a few times, the problem is it is a fixed device so it prevent you being able to turn around. Sure the RIFT isn't wireless (yet) but even wired you are still allowed a bit of movement if you had a non fixed controller like a motion controller. You also don't have full range of motion as opposed to a motion controller so even if you don't intend to turn around at all a non fixed controller is still better in that respect.

It would be nice to have more support for it though. The better option is the Novint Xio if it ever comes out :?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Never heard of it, but looks pretty cool. Also pretty expensive!

The time of devices like that is over ... I can also hold a handgun over a leap or get a cheaper Hydra or wait for the next step and Oculus adding an input device with one or more of their sensors.

No developer will want to invest much time into such an expensive device I guess.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Neil mentioned it. It's the prize for the photoshopping contest (which is over now). Hopefully my invisible pink unicorn photoshop will win, since it is the most technically skilled. :lol:
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

the xio has been mentioned before, but would be, if it isn't vapor ware, a better fit for vr.

http://www.novint.com/index.php/novintxio
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

jayoh wrote:the xio has been mentioned before, but would be, if it isn't vapor ware, a better fit for vr.

http://www.novint.com/index.php/novintxio
Yeah I guess I can just keep on dreaming of a sub-300 dollar sometime this year release of that one.

The falcon has tempted me, but it is too limited for what it is.

*spelling
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The falcon is awesome. Really need to get that out of the closet.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

GeraldT wrote:Never heard of it, but looks pretty cool. Also pretty expensive!

The time of devices like that is over ... I can also hold a handgun over a leap or get a cheaper Hydra or wait for the next step and Oculus adding an input device with one or more of their sensors.

No developer will want to invest much time into such an expensive device I guess.

Ummm its not really expensive and. Also it isn't just a mouse, this thing has full haptics. Love mine, coupled with the Rift it would be pretty nuts. You have to use it to understand.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Same problem as a mouse. You're stuck sitting in front of a desk.

Complete deal breaker for me.
gravity360
Cross Eyed!

Post by gravity360 »

Hmm.. being an owner of one of the first limited edition runs of the Novint Falcon, I too say it really needs more support. It's really nice to get feedback with it, but I just don't see it being practical with the Oculus Rift solely on the fact that it's just way too big.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

I dont intend to be walking around with my Rift. It would add an extra layer of immersion just playing FPS. But whatever lol
gravity360
Cross Eyed!

Post by gravity360 »

Yeah I get what you're saying. It's just that, I personally would not enjoy the restrictions of having to sit in an exact position. I'd prefer a wireless controller so that my movements wouldn't be so restricted. But that's just an opinion. Honestly I don't think I ever really played any games other than TF2 and L4D.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

mayaman wrote:I dont intend to be walking around with my Rift. It would add an extra layer of immersion just playing FPS. But whatever lol
Walk around? :|

Err no. But spin around hell yeah!
SartreFan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SartreFan »

I have a Falcon but have only used it a few times. I tried it out in Half-Life 2 and yes the recoil is pretty incredible on it. Each gun has it's own feeling to it. And when you use the gravity gun, you feel the extra weight. But aiming feels really wrong on it. Instead of angling towards corners you slide the entire handle to a corner. It gets pretty tiring even if your arm is propped up just right, and the recoil can make you easily lose control of what you are doing. It's a fun gimmick but not where I think things are heading. Having said that, I still would love to try it in conjunction with the Rift. Just a few more months to wait
Pyong
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pyong »

I used to do work with the Novint falcon, its really easy to get games to support it too.

MoH was a fun title they had me work on :)

I really enjoyed it and its very good for all kinds of games, especially FPS games.

You guys should check it out.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

I have been pondering how it well it would work with cockpit games like Hawken, where you have a fixed position, and donning the RIft. You could also have a flightstick/joystick in your other hand to control movement, it feels like it might make for a nice experience, no? :D In any case it is certainly a piece of hardware that I want to try out, for sure.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Nice point Boll, I think that in those circumstances a Falcon (or two?) could be really good. You could also use one AS a flightstick/joystick, and have good force feedback that way (although dont know if that is in any way better than a good force feedback stick).

It would be cool if you could use them to control the mechs arms, so you could then punch/push/pick up things and throw them around. It would be cool to pick up a car and throw it at another mech, and be highly immersed since you'd feel the force of picking it up.
gravity360
Cross Eyed!

Post by gravity360 »

Pyong wrote:I used to do work with the Novint falcon, its really easy to get games to support it too.

MoH was a fun title they had me work on :)

I really enjoyed it and its very good for all kinds of games, especially FPS games.

You guys should check it out.

Yeah I did the same for a while. Most of my work was using GlovePie and a few other pieces of software. But I spent time building custom recoil setups for my FPS games and a few other things as well. I loved the Novint Falcon, but just overall there wasn't enough support for it. Who knows though, with the VR Cray coming people might start to look for more interesting and exciting ways to interact.

Return to “Oculus VR”