Half Life 2 ready to go with Oculus Rift!!

3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Half Life 2 ready to go with Oculus Rift!!

Post by 3dRat »

god damn! now the orders will arise like crazy and I wont be able to order mine... (only next week i'll have my credit card....)

The control is like i've imagined it should be... you dont need control virtual hands... they simply follow the gun, and the gun (i supose) is used to walk as a device that drags you around... the only trouble will be firing and walking at the same not to the target...

http://youtu.be/5H2rL-lBxRs
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Re: Half Life 2 ready to go with Oculus Rift!!

Post by jayoh »

who's hedging bets on the best controller for this setup (unpaired head view + gun controller)? the mag ii?
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Kirito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Kirito »

wow sweet that video got over 200k vieuws :p
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

jayoh wrote:who's hedging bets on the best controller for this setup (unpaired head view + gun controller)? the mag ii?
Mouse. Nothing conceived yet beats a mouse for a FPS shooter.
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

If you are playing competitively online, yeah, the mouse is ideal.

But for fun and great immersion, I'll be using a very similar setup to what is in the video. I even ordered the same gun, it was only $35 + $12 for the wireless Xbox 360 receiver.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

You really still want to be using a mouse when you could be using a HMD & motion tracked gun?
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

superbike81 wrote:If you are playing competitively online, yeah, the mouse is ideal.
What if not? If somebody comes up with a easy VR input solution nobody thought of and would demonstrate it in the field? 8-)

The biggest advantage of a mouse is to change and jump to a direction quickly. Imagine if you have just a control method to do that, the headtraking and aiming plus change of direction, all independent from each other could be an advantage if you master the multi tasking.
JayJay
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JayJay »

3dRat wrote:god damn! now the orders will arise like crazy and I wont be able to order mine... (only next week i'll have my credit card....)

The control is like i've imagined it should be... you dont need control virtual hands... they simply follow the gun, and the gun (i supose) is used to walk as a device that drags you around... the only trouble will be firing and walking at the same not to the target...

http://youtu.be/5H2rL-lBxRs
This looks awesome, my all-time favourite game in virtual reality! :woot
"Creating the world's most immersive virtual reality erotic encounters @ http://www.wickedparadise.com"
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

TheHolyChicken wrote:You really still want to be using a mouse when you could be using a HMD & motion tracked gun?
Exactly :) Even so, I think people still think wiimote/kinect any time they see any sort of motion input. With a 1000hz (the same as my razer mouse) tracker like the YEI 3-space someone well trained with real firearms could probably at least put up a good fight at least in regards to accuracy. I still think you'd want to have separate servers for VR online play though because the playstyles are just so different. The second half of the video where I'm going through the halls, that's actually how I play, I wasn't doing that to just highlight the leaning. You tend to be much more paced and methodical when you can't do instant 360s and circle strafe at 20 mph.
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

more realism FTW!! if that means slower enemies or fewer... well could be worth a try!
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

What if not? If somebody comes up with a easy VR input solution nobody thought of and would demonstrate it in the field? 8-)
Wii-mote plus scripts. Works for flying and driving too. Hopefully FREEpie implements motionplus soon.
$150, non-customizable "gun-only" controllers is a step backward.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Direlight wrote:
Wii-mote plus scripts. Works for flying and driving too. Hopefully FREEpie implements motionplus soon.
$150, non-customizable "gun-only" controllers is a step backward.

In a few years you could have a standard shaped 'tracker' module that clips into the different shaped inert plastic weapons designed for the specific games you are playing.

Which you can 3d print at home 8-)
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

@ adoral84: they definitely could put up a good fight, but it would depend on the game. Not having the virtually instant 180's/360's would mean that players with gun controllers would be better at camping styles, using cover, etc. It wouldn't be so good in a game of Vanilla Quake.

Actually, that makes me think, someone should come up with a harness setup, so we can play Vanilla Quake in VR, rocket bounce, and actually get lifted into the air :)
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

In a few years you could have a standard shaped 'tracker' module that clips into the different shaped inert plastic weapons designed for the specific games you are playing.

Great idea. People need to abandon wired controllers too. All ready worked out how to make the Rift basically "wireless".
Last edited by Direlight on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

Direlight wrote:

Great idea. I'm very serious about the scripts, I see no reason I couldn't kick out enough to cover 99% of control schemes.

Wii-motes are dirt cheap too.
Wiimotes have some problems though. The biggest is probably drift, you'd need to calibrate every now and then. The second problem is that they are not very good controllers for many games. They have few buttons and no analog sticks. Obviously these are not problems you can't overcome, but still something you should keep in mind.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Wiimotes have some problems though. The biggest is probably drift, you'd need to calibrate every now and then

Wii-mote drifting, at least the kind that would be noticed in-game, is fixable via software. Main problem is no emulator (as far as I know) supports internal motionplus controllers. Sometimes, especially on used remotes, the motion plus adapter gets bumped and you need to reset it.

Newer wii-mote support would fix this. Can't wait to get my Rift, I don't see why it won't work. I actually tried to get a professional-level VR program made, but people (glovepie developer) never responded. Scripts work great, but are not user friendly. If I ever get the money, I'll personally hire a team to make a consistently supported and updated VR hardware/software solution package.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

It's had to beat precision when it comes to a mouse in a video game...I hooked up a mouse/keyboard to a 360 and destroyed ever single 13 year old on black ops. The mouse is sooo accurate...
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

STRZ wrote:
superbike81 wrote:If you are playing competitively online, yeah, the mouse is ideal.

The biggest advantage of a mouse is to change and jump to a direction quickly. Imagine if you have just a control method to do that, the headtraking and aiming plus change of direction, all independent from each other could be an advantage if you master the multi tasking.

three fingers for gripping the gun, one for trigger, the other for reload and weapons switch....two thumbs are free for pad or joystick implementation.

Or something like that. Joystick combined with head look, should be fast enough to trash a mouse user.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

TheHolyChicken wrote:You really still want to be using a mouse when you could be using a HMD & motion tracked gun?
I really do. Nothing annoys me more than inexact controls in an FPS.

I could and would probably forgo the mouse for a hand-prop of some sort for a shooting gallery type of game.
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

KBK wrote:three fingers for gripping the gun, one for trigger, the other for reload and weapons switch....two thumbs are free for pad or joystick implementation.

Or something like that. Joystick combined with head look, should be fast enough to trash a mouse user.
I'm afraid not. Even if we imagine that head look would be an advantage the mouse user has access to that too, so the only question would be: Is a thumb joystick better than a mouse. And we know the answer to that.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

zino wrote:
KBK wrote:three fingers for gripping the gun, one for trigger, the other for reload and weapons switch....two thumbs are free for pad or joystick implementation.

I'm afraid not. Even if we imagine that head look would be an advantage the mouse user has access to that too, so the only question would be: Is a thumb joystick better than a mouse. And we know the answer to that.
I say it will be close to a dead heat, and that leet skillz will be the order of the day.

Mouse and keyboard gives one fluid and one set, same for joystick and head, Sort of. Very close.

That a combination of motion via thumb joystick and GUN motion, with head position/look via the HMD, well, things get a bit trickier. That the gun/hillcrest, with thumb built in, and HMD head/look..might give mr mousie & keyboard & HMD... a run for his money.

If i was to implement a gun/hillcrest and an HMD, I would build the thumb into the gun. Of course, in the video on the net, the user is moving about, but I am ignorant on the how. I should look closer.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Guys everything you're describing is a wii-mote and nunchuk. Nintendo f'd it up and used the IR camera for mouse movement. On the PC, you use motion-plus for the mouse and nunchuk for joystick or whatever input combo you need.

Accurate, cheap, wireless, versatile.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Half Life 2 (Orange Box bundle) is $19.99 today at Steam.

Post by geekmaster »

If you want Half Life 2, it is included in the "Orange Box" bundle, and Steam has that on sale today for $19.99. I just bought it, but the SSD I boot from is not large enough to hold it, after installing Portal 2. Now I need to install a REAL hard drive (or a bigger SSD)! :(
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

There are some of us who will never abandon wired controllers/devices. Those that will never adopt anything wireless.

OK. you got me. I'm using a wireless mouse.

Wired keyboard though, and wired net connections. No bluetooth, or anything like that.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

looking at those gun holders for the wii I think whoever gives us a cool input device might think about giving it the Wiimote shape .... just a thought.

Would that be a copyright issue?
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

GeraldT wrote:looking at those gun holders for the wii I think whoever gives us a cool input device might think about giving it the Wiimote shape .... just a thought.

Would that be a copyright issue?
it wouldn't have to be exact, just close enough to use the same accessories.
jis
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jis »

The video of Half Life 2 shows a lot of orientation smoothing. If it's still coming from the game, it will be very bad for an Oculus experience. If it's due to his own sensors, then that's fine.
blasphemer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by blasphemer »

Mouse is more accurate for precise shooting, but I think motion-tracked gun will have an advantage in fast close quarters combat. You can use natural proprioception to aim quickly and accurately.
drifter

Post by drifter »

maybe competitive online FPS gamers are on the wrong forum...
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

why? I certainly do hope for some form of FPS to play competitive online on the Rift!
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

drifter wrote:maybe competitive online FPS gamers are on the wrong forum...
Or maybe someone in this forum hasn't learned or is unable to learn how to be immersed in an online FPS?
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

drifter wrote:maybe competitive online FPS gamers are on the wrong forum...
Why can't those who enjoy competitive fps ALSO be interested in VR?

Using the Rift together with a non-mouse controller is definitely going be detrimental to your performance.... until, of course, EVERYONE is using that setup. That's when things get really interesting :D
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

TheHolyChicken wrote: until, of course, EVERYONE is using that setup. That's when things get really interesting :D
yes!!!
eidahl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eidahl »

Not sure why people keep brushing off FPs. IMHO, OR will only go big when an AAA title like COD10 or BF4 officially sticks on an "Oculus Rift supported" sticker on their PC box - think full positional tracking and seperate head/gun support. This might not be too far fetched considering they're both trying to be one step ahead of the other however possible..
Last edited by eidahl on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

for me, it's about single player, not on-line. Too many out of control monkeys for me. So yes, FPS, but no, not on-line. I've always though ill of war, so I try not to practice it in a group setting. It's in very poor taste and is detrimental to functional psychological development. Unless your aim is war and death, of course. :)

The answer to the coming response, is that: everything affects everything, so playing on line war... does indeed warp the mind. That it does indeed creep into the 'real world'. Anything else is a form of denial of the fundamental of physiology and psychology.

People can do what they want, but they should be aware of the issues involved in those decisions and actions. :)

An example is that it has recently been found that the DNA of the given person is alterable and alters in the given single lifetime. that the pressures, not just physical but the psychology of the physical ---changes things. Fundamentally so, as a design that is passed on in children, as a set pattern of their emergence as a being.

That darwin et al, as a backdrop to rumination in these matters... are to be re-considered and re-weighted. In conjunction with a few hundred other recent and older research works on connected matters.

When the rift goes 'on-line', the intensity of the involvement that the body 'feels and sees' will move into a huge uptick with regard to this affecting of physiology and psychology, as development process. You will be given a tool of downturn, or upturn. A change in the potential for your 'delta' (rate of change, over time), of self evolution. If you want to move into a greater rate of change into the downturn of war and death, more powerfully, then that door will open for you.

I prefer to move toward a greater life.
drifter

Post by drifter »

Sorry I used wrong and maybe harsh words (no offense libertine ;))
I was just thinking maybe competitive FPS gamers (who need speed, accuracy, and possibly hi-res display) could be a bit disappointed by the Rift in its early stages (even if you stay with mouse & keyboard).
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

KBK wrote:for me, it's about single player, not on-line. Too many out of control monkeys for me. So yes, FPS, but no, not on-line. I've always though ill of war, so I try not to practice it in a group setting. It's in very poor taste and is detrimental to functional psychological development. Unless your aim is war and death, of course. :)

The answer to the coming response, is that: everything affects everything... Snip...

This kind of discussion may be out of place here. There are plenty of other forums for debating the effect of violent games.

That's quite a tangent to our threads subject.
ICEMANPAULWALL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ICEMANPAULWALL »

This guy seems to be using the gun more like an air joystick. That doesn't seem much more engaging considering the loss in precision. Is there anything with positional tracking to the level where you can just aim it like a real gun without a laser sight.

Also Has anyone played a lightgun game lately. How long does it take for you to get tired of pointing at the screen. By lightgun I mean a game where a crt screen flashes not the ir tracking laggy wii zapper or ps move. I mention that because due to how poor the tracking is on Ir guns most of your aiming is just moving a reticule on screen since it barely lines up with the physical sights. With a lightgun you can actually use the sights and it can get tiring rather than wobling the wii zapper from the hip.

Fatigue, lag, and lack of accuracy will probably keep quite a few people sticking to gamepads and mice.
Last edited by ICEMANPAULWALL on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

The speed isn't quite there yet for the light guns you're right, but the sequel to Conduit on Wii that used the motion plus felt quite responsive to me. For turning its simply abysmal but for whatever's in front of you it felt much more smooth and precise than a gamepad that's for sure. Also was pretty fun for use in the Goldeneye remake they did (the one replacing Brosnan with Daniel Craig).

I wonder how effective the Hydra would be for fps if a game had integration as good as Portal 2. Not gun-shaped I know but may still be more fun than having to use a mouse or gamepad with the Rift.

Return to “Oculus VR”