MTBS-TV: Interview With Dolby Labs at CES 2013

Respond to the movers and shakers by making THEM move and shake!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

MTBS-TV: Interview With Dolby Labs at CES 2013

Post by Neil »

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYNJssw5bf0[/youtube-hd]
Check out this CES 2013 interview with Dolby Laboratories.  This is all about glasses-free stereoscopic 3D displays and televisions.  Yes, there are even Apple products being featured here!

We were very impressed with some of the stuff on display, so be sure to watch it and comment below.

Read full article...
timround
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: MTBS-TV: Interview With Dolby Labs at CES 2013

Post by timround »

One question, how can you have 28 views at 1080p on a 4k screen?

surely the best you can offer would be 4 view without losing res.

Tim.
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadRussian »

@Neil

Great presentation! Quick question on something not addressed. On the 56", how did the 3D image fare when moving close in as opposed to far away from the screen? I recall regarding other manufacturer's auto-stereo 3D devices, that the viewer needed to be a very specific distance from the screen. Really hoping Dolby has cracked this part of the equation.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I didn't get to spend much time with the TV because it was an impromptu interview and we were somewhat rushed. We almost didn't get in because it was a last-minute thing, but Dolby knows our work well, so we were lucky in the end.

The screen was ok, but the tabletop displays and notebook computer were REALLY impressive. I know that Dolby 3D isn't really on the hardware side the same way, but the prototypes were memorable.

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Since it's 28 views i assume (if i'm not wrong, can't hear because of hearing impairment) it's yet another replica of the philips wowvx technology. When you move closer to the screen the view will automatically shift and the stereoimpression be greater (or actually "maintained". On a true stereoscopic stereoscreen the impression of depth decreases when moving closer to the screen).
The huge nag is that this technology uses 2d+depth...
If someone have better information that came from the presentation i will revise this post later on.

Edit: The automatic texting more or less confirm the above. They're even collaborating with philips engineers. Personally i'm not fond of any 2d+depth technology and these kind of displays must have such an input (or a conversionalgorithm: "stereoscopic - to - 2d+depth"...).
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

timround wrote:One question, how can you have 28 views at 1080p on a 4k screen?

surely the best you can offer would be 4 view without losing res.

Tim.
Also there is a camera on the top of the TV. So I assume it works with head tracking and is for one user or a limited number of users only.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I didn't notice that until now. The type of screen i guessed at doesn't need head/eyetracking because of the multiview screen. It seems that only one displays in the video is equipped with a cam. Maybe they had several technologies for demonstration?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “MTBS Interview User Remarks”