Diy oculus rift inspired hmd with 7" display. Advice needed!

wileythecoyote
One Eyed Hopeful

Diy oculus rift inspired hmd with 7" display. Advice needed!

Post by wileythecoyote »

Hello folks!

I just found out about the oculus rift and the specs, user experiences and the whole concept blew me away.

I'm going to build me a proto for myself, but I'm gonna go 7" inch instead of the original 5.6" design, because it'll be much easier to upgrade to 1080p display once the panels start poppin' up on ebay.

There are few questions though:

What would be the right kind of a lens with this bigger panel?
Obviously the panel needs to be further away from the lenses and the 5x pocket loupe magnifiers will probably go out of focus.
I figured that someone here must have already tried a 7" panel and experienced with different lenses.

The fov is going to be a bit wider because of the bigger screen. Will that need some compensation from the software side of things and is the software configurable so that this is a non-issue? I'm more of a builder and less (or not-at-al)l programmer so this proto needs to be compliant with the existing software for oculus.

Any advices or remarks are welcomed!
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Diy oculus rift inspired hmd with 7" display. Advice nee

Post by TheHolyChicken »

There's a thread right here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15247 (it was on the front page! :roll: )
that's devoted solely to people making their own HMDs, with varying specs. You'll find plenty of advice right there in that thread, plus lots of people who can answer specific questions.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Return to “Oculus VR”