Locomotion naming

JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Locomotion naming

Post by JanVR »

Hi all,

I could use some input and feedback regarding a name for my locomotion device. I reserved an URL for the company name, Virtuix (www.virtuix.com). For the product name, I was thinking of calling it the Vya (pronounce Veeyah). I know it looks unintuitive at first, but I think it grows on you. It’s catchy and has character. Virtuix Vya.

Other options I had in mind:

Verge
Vybe
Vype
Vyx
Vaya
Zyne
Movy

Ideally, the name should be one-syllable, should be catchy and unique, and be verbe-able (so that the product name can become the household verbe for “being in VR on a locomotion”). Most difficult part is that it has to be available for trade marking purposes. Let me know if anyone has any ideas? Otherwise, the Vya it is.

Thanks for any help!
Apotheosis
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Locomotion naming

Post by Apotheosis »

I like vya, it's catchy, kind of rhymes and sounds like something fun. The others don't have all these elements together. It sounds more like your odt than the others do, they sound like dot coms from the 80's .just my opinion.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Virtuix Intuix, a mix of the company name and intuitive :D
Zoide
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Zoide »

I like Vya more than your other options, but the problem is that it ends in a vowel, which makes it awkward when using the present participle. For example: "I'd rather be Vyaing than reading about VR!".

If it were to end in a consonant, it would become less awkard. For example: "I'd rather be Vyxing than reading about VR!".
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

There's no question that "Oculus Rift" is one of the most catchy names of all time. It has the right amount of syllables. It has rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement. It uses two real words (Oculus meaning eye in Latin, and Rift having multiple valid meanings). Those words happen to work together to describe the device (An opening in front of the eye). It's very memorable. Heck, it even looks pleasing to the eye by itself.

Coming up with a name to match the elegance of "Oculus Rift" might require a dedicated marketing team.

But don't look to me for advice. I'll even admit, "Simulacrum" sucked as a name... But, since no one has said the obvious yet: Rift Walker.

EDIT: After trying out the other names, Verge gets my vote. The slopes converge in the middle, the device is on the verge of a technological revolution, it's a real word, and it goes nicer with your planned company name.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

Roots to consider:

iter - going, journey, way, walk, march, direction
motus - movement, motion, moving, move, stir, impulse
vestigium - step, footprint, track, trace, mark, foot

Your logo should definitely have an inscription "in motu insito" - motion in place. :)

It's all latin.
This member owns things.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Randomoneh wrote:Your logo should definitely have an inscription "in motu insito" - motion in place. :)
Great idea!
Just one observation: Google Translate prefers "in motu insito quam" rather than "in motu insito" when translating from Latin back to English.

http://translate.google.com/#la/en/in%20motu%20insito

VS

http://translate.google.com/#la/en/in%2 ... ito%20quam
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I like product names that are real words and are self-explanatory, here are some ideas :
- Gait Slider ;
- SlideWalker (yeah, little Star Wars connotation here :)) ;
- Walk Slider.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Maybe you could name it "Groove". It's already a verb, and a pretty cool one with very positive connotations. Also, it captures the essence of what makes your invention so special: it's the grooves on the surface and the pins on the shoes that allow you to walk naturally without slipping.

The only downside I see is that it's a generic word, and you had said you wanted a unique one. Maybe you could alter the spelling (e.g. "Groov"), though it's easy for it to look silly if you overdo it.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Zoide wrote:Maybe you could name it "Groove". It's already a verb, and a pretty cool one with very positive connotations. Also, it captures the essence of what makes your invention so special: it's the grooves on the surface and the pins on the shoes that allow you to walk naturally without slipping.

The only downside I see is that it's a generic word, and you had said you wanted a unique one. Maybe you could alter the spelling (e.g. "Groov"), though it's easy for it to look silly if you overdo it.

Awesome name Zoide! I think the "Groove" is the perfect name.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

'The Walky'
'Walky VR'

So this is going commercial asap? No open source?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

Vaya is the first and third-person conjugation of the verb "to go" in Spanish, so that has a nice parallel to it.

On that note, though, just don't call it the Virtuix Nova. :-P Or, heck, do. ;)

BTW, should this thread be moved to the VR R&D section of the forum?
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

I like the name Motus

Just throwing some more in the mix:
FreeStride
NaturaStride
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

what about : 'Iter' (latin word for way/path)
although it is the name of the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor in France which aim is realizing nuclear fusion.
Can you patent just a normal word?

Another one, although it might not sound well, but creates some reminding associations:
'Tracy' (referring to Hollywood Legend Spencer Tracy)
or simply 'Path Tracer' considering that there also has to be a device which has to track your movements.
Last edited by colocolo on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I do like Vya, but Verge is cool too and much easier to remember. Since your company name is already a tough one to hold on to after the first hearing, I would go with something easy to remember for the product (once your company is established you can still go Vya, better you trademark that too ^^).
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

GeraldT wrote:I do like Vya, but Verge is cool too and much easier to remember. Since your company name is already a tough one to hold on to after the first hearing, I would go with something easy to remember for the product (once your company is established you can still go Vya, better you trademark that too ^^).
"Verge" means "penis" in french, I don't think it is a good idea... :|
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Zoide wrote: Maybe you could alter the spelling (e.g. "Groov"), though it's easy for it to look silly if you overdo it.
grÜv :lol:

Some generic name ideas with appropriate verbs and examples of the word in use.

Sklyde. 'Sklyding.' "Had like a 3 hour Sklyding session before work today, had to wake up at 5am but SO worth it"

Skyre. 'Skyring.' "Never Skyre right after a big meal, ugh. Unless it's like a puzzle game"

Ice Board. 'Icing' (or Ice Boarding) "Got a new friction pad for my Ice Board, I swear its better than when it was new. Walking feels so smooth now."

Tactile Ice also 'icing' "I wish Icing didn't feel so weird in 3rd person games."

Parallel Haze 'hazing' "Screw this, I'm going on the Haze"

Total Omnidirectional Rotation and Translation Locomotion (TORTL) 'Tortling' "Dude, literally broke my ankle tortling on Battlefield 4, it was insane"

Directional Immersion Mat for Entertainment (DIME) , 'going on the Dime' 'I'd love to try that game on the dime!'

Octon "The new Octon X, twice as responsive, twice as immersive, twice as compact."
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

laast wrote: "Verge" means "penis" in french, I don't think it is a good idea... :|
:lol: ... okay, but it might give the product some extra attention and afterwards you could rename it
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linkage1992 »

How about the "Locus"? Sure, it sounds similar to Oculus, but I think it's pretty catchy and easy to use in convo:
"Combine the Locus with the Rift and you've got an amazing VR experience"

That being said, I do really like Vya as well. But only by itself. The product having two words starting with V doesn't roll off the tongue easily.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Lokus is a colloquial word for toilette in german. :o
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

^^ Damn. Well, the Wii was called the Wii, people got over it. Germany will have to do the same! :ugeek:
Linkage1992 wrote:How about the "Locus"? Sure, it sounds similar to Oculus, but I think it's pretty catchy and easy to use in convo:
I really like Locus, it follows the latin theme, as then with the Oculus and the Locus we have our 'eye' and our 'place'.

And of course just the general similarity of the words, visually and aurally.

Oculus + Locus = Oculocus
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Diorama wrote:^^ Damn. Well, the Wii was called the Wii, people got over it. Germany will have to do the same! :ugeek:
Linkage1992 wrote:How about the "Locus"? Sure, it sounds similar to Oculus, but I think it's pretty catchy and easy to use in convo:
I really like Locus, it follows the latin theme, as then with the Oculus and the Locus we have our 'eye' and our 'place'.

And of course just the general similarity of the words, visually and aurally.

Oculus + Locus = Oculocus
Personally i do think Locus sounds great. By the way whats the matter with the word Wii?
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

colocolo wrote:By the way whats the matter with the word Wii?
In the UK at least, 'wee' means urine. Its the most common word for kids to use, kind of like 'pee' in the US.
It was hilarious for about a week, especially as we had been calling it 'Revolution' for so long.

Lots of 'Nintendo Piss' jokes were going about.
Popopinsel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Popopinsel »

Zoide wrote:"I'd rather be Vyxing than reading about VR!".
Don't do that. "Vyxing" is like "wanking" in German... ;)
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Popopinsel wrote:
Zoide wrote:"I'd rather be Vyxing than reading about VR!".
Don't do that. "Vyxing" is like "wanking" in German... ;)
I'm sure that many people would jizz without wanking, by just using this rig in conjunction with the Rift :lol:
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

LOL

So, does "Groove" / "Groov" have any sexual or weird meanings anywhere? So far it seems like one of the only safe choices :P

"Icing" and "Hazing", make me think of drugs and school bullying, respectively :o

"Tortling" sounds a bit silly, and "Sklyde" quite awkward to pronounce, but I gotta say "Skyre" and "Skyring" sound pretty good! Locus is interesting both because it sounds good and because of its intrinsic meaning. It does make me think of Locutus of Borg every time I read it, though.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Zoide wrote:LOL

So, does "Groove" / "Groov" have any sexual or weird meanings anywhere? So far it seems like one of the only safe choices :P
Yes, it does have a weird sexual connotation. Here is a snippet from the "Urban Dictionary":
Groove
This word has evolved from its original meaning in jazz slang as a sexual euphemism.
1. The vagina. The female groove.
Original sexual meanings are seldom used or understood anymore.
So only old-timers may get a chuckle out of it. :D

And these guys may be upset if you steal their name:
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Diorama wrote:... Ice Board. 'Icing' (or Ice Boarding) "Got a new friction pad for my Ice Board, I swear its better than when it was new. Walking feels so smooth now." ...
That sounds like a cold weather variation of "Water Boarding", which was a popular activity at Guantanamo Bay. :shock:
Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linkage1992 »

Zoide wrote:
I don't know. To be honest I think Groove sounds sort of gimmicky, like a kids toy from the 00s. And it sounds really similar to the word groovy of course which is an outdated term for something being cool. Just my opinion though!

I still think Locus is the best option, since it works quite well and the negative connotations are still quite insignificant- at least I think they would be for the general population :)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Linkage1992 wrote:
Zoide wrote:So, does "Groove" / "Groov" have any sexual or weird meanings anywhere? So far it seems like one of the only safe choices :P
I don't know. ...
Groove does have weird sexual meanings (Jazz-era slang for vagina), as reported two posts above your "I don't know" post.
Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linkage1992 »

I did see that, sorry if I was unclear but when I said "i don't know" I really meant I don't really think it's a good idea naming it the Groove. My whole post was directed at the latter sentence.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Linkage1992 wrote: I still think Locus is the best option, since it works quite well and the negative connotations are still quite insignificant- at least I think they would be for the general population :)
Locutus !!

The name even has a geek tech connotation (Star Trek's Picard renamed by the Borg) :)

And it sounds nice, "i'm using my Oculus on my Locutus" :lol:
phort99
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phort99 »

What about "Deck" as in holodeck?

Maybe something that better implies the act of walking, like Step or Walk?

If you like VWXYZ words so much, why not just call it the Vywyxz?
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

phort99 wrote:If you like VWXYZ words so much, why not just call it the Vywyxz?
LOL :woot
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I still like Groove, and I don't think it has any unwanted connotations. Mostly I think of "groove" as either being in a cool state of mind or similar to "in the zone". "Get in the Groove" would be a nice slogan.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy-WDWxZhzc[/youtube]

She got a treadmill there, what a coincidence! :o

I wanted to get into her groove when she was younger :lol:
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Funnily enough, Groove was my inital name. Unfortunately, it is not available for trade marking purposes (too many other game product trade marks already exist associated with "Groove").

Thanks for all suggestions so far - some great names have come through. Please keep 'em coming! Need to lock this down in the next couple of days, since it is tough to talk about a device if it has no name.

On the shortlist so far:

Vya
Verge
Skyre
Locus
Motus
Iter
snorelab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by snorelab »

I also like Vya. It's easy and fun to say and it sounds like what it is, a device used for virtual locomotion. I don't think the name needs to sound like a verb. You walk or run ON it. I can see people saying "I spend all day on my Vya" or "I'm going to hit the Vya now" as opposed to "I'm going to go home and vya for a bit."

Also, Vya is similar to "via" in English which suggests travelling through a place.

Since you're looking for alternate ideas....
Your company name starts with a "V", therefore you have an opportunity for the initials of the product to be VR.

Virtuix Rover?
phort99
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phort99 »

Verge: I tend to associate this more with The Verge.
Skyre: Reads too much like Skype at first glance in my opinion.
Locus: I like this one best out of the ones listed. Unfortunately it's a bit of a tongue twister combined with "Virtuix." For that reason alone I might go with Vya instead.

What if you tried "Vaya" instead? The pronunciation is a bit more clear, plus it means "go" in Spanish!
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

phort99 wrote:
What if you tried "Vaya" instead? The pronunciation is a bit more clear, plus it means "go" in Spanish!
No, not really. "vaya" means c'mon or "go away" (c'mon, i don't believe it = vaya, no me lo creo). It's barely used as "go" in Spain afaik. But in latin amrerica maybe, i don't know.
Last edited by STRZ on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Oculus VR”