So I have some questions....

jhouff
One Eyed Hopeful

So I have some questions....

Post by jhouff »

Greetings all!

I'm a long time reader, however I rarley post (you guys are too smart, I don't like looking dumb ;)

But I decided to suck it up and list some questions I would love answered. I apologize if these have aleady been answered. Here we go!

1. Has anyone (press or forumn users) been able to try the 7 inch version? There are many pics of it on the web, but I wonder if it's just a none working, empty shell.

2. Any ideas of what happened to the ID Software support. It seems like a few months ago ID was everywhere you looked with Rift, now its like they fell off the radar.

3. To add on to the above, has it been confirmed that Doom 3 BFG is going to actually be Rift Ready? I have read reports that this may not be the case.

4. Shipping wise, are there two different ship dates? I have heard the first batch is not going to cover all of the Kickstarter backers. If this is the case, any idea of how to know if we made it to the first shipment?

5. Lastly how likely do you think the Rift will make a March ship date? With very little (if any) press coverage / demos of the 7 inch, I feel like its not likely.

Thats it! Thanks for reading and please be gentle!
zella
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: So I have some questions....

Post by zella »

would love to hear answers to these too man
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Disclaimer: I'm going just by chatter here and on Reddit

1. As far as I know nobody has seen a working 7" outside of Oculus. They showed the Devkit hardware at CES but it was not working.
2. The Kickstarter Dev kits will arrive with Doom BFG Oculus ready along with the first 1,000 dev kits sold on the Oculus website. That is the extent of iD support to the best of my knowledge. I doubt they would support anything officially other than that until Oculus has made some more announcements about the retail version.
3. Several demos of the early Rifts were done with Doom BFG. Unless this was a hack just for those demos then Doom BFG is Rift-ready.
4. No announcements on shipping but they have a limited production schedule because of Chinese New Year. How many units they will actually get together before they shut down for the Holiday (28 days!) is unknown. A copy of the Oculus schedule is here:

http://andreasaronsson.com/!beta/oculus ... eline.html

The original estimate is for 5,000 units on the first shipment.

5. I have raised concerns over the lack of 7" support. Especially since they announced the 7" in November which means they must have had demo pieces well before that. That's several months to get it to work. That being said I also have a lot of faith in their honesty about delays. They announced the December delay in November. I would assume they would not go into production without working models and if they hadn't gone into production they'd have mentioned it. Dunno.
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

"1 minute ago: Never fear. More news coming soon. -- Nate" small update on kickstarter :D
jhouff
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jhouff »

Pingles!

Thanks so much for the response! Exactly what I was looking for. Sometimes I worry about posting cause I don't want to get ridiculed.

Thanks again dude!
jhouff
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jhouff »

cert wrote:"1 minute ago: Never fear. More news coming soon. -- Nate" small update on kickstarter :D
Better than nothing!
oculusfan
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by oculusfan »

cert wrote:"1 minute ago: Never fear. More news coming soon. -- Nate" small update on kickstarter :D
Lol do you get an alert when Nate posts or something? How did you get that message the minute it posted?
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

it has been sent by my ONAD, the oculus news alert device, you can find it on kickstarter soon :lol:
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

jhouff wrote:Greetings all!

I'm a long time reader, however I rarely post (you guys are too smart, I don't like looking dumb ;)
We're not so smart. More like crazed stalkers with a creepy obsession with the Oculus Rift that drives us to memorise and analyse every little scrap of information they give us, or to build our own imitations of it. When we veer onto other topics, some of us look very dumb.
But I decided to suck it up and list some questions I would love answered. I apologize if these have already been answered. Here we go!

1. Has anyone (press or forum users) been able to try the 7 inch version? There are many pics of it on the web, but I wonder if it's just a non-working, empty shell.
Not that I know of. But Oculus said it was the software that wasn't working for it, so I don't think it's an empty shell.
2. Any ideas of what happened to the ID Software support. It seems like a few months ago ID was everywhere you looked with Rift, now its like they fell off the radar.

3. To add on to the above, has it been confirmed that Doom 3 BFG is going to actually be Rift Ready? I have read reports that this may not be the case.
No idea. There's a thread about it though.
It's open source, so we can add our own Rift support if they don't, BUT then the Bink video playback wouldn't work because iD didn't include that in the source code, and didn't include enough information about how to replace it with our own implementation.
4. Shipping wise, are there two different ship dates? I have heard the first batch is not going to cover all of the Kickstarter backers. If this is the case, any idea of how to know if we made it to the first shipment?
Probably more than two. I think they'll ship the first ones as soon as they are ready, with first priority going to pre-Kickstarter backers and unassembled Kickstarters.
5. Lastly how likely do you think the Rift will make a March ship date? With very little (if any) press coverage / demos of the 7 inch, I feel like its not likely.
Very likely for a few lucky people, but unlikely for people like me who ordered after the Kickstarter finished.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

If you go to the Oculus Rift pre-order page (https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/) it says that the expected delivery date is April. It was already saying that on January 15th when I pre-ordered mine.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

We are still on schedule to be shipping Kickstarter orders in March. Orders on the website will come soon afterwards.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

We are still on schedule to be shipping Kickstarter orders in March. Orders on the website will come soon afterwards.
Good to hear. Hope your search for a custom screen manufacturer is going well. Your software developer support seems to be growing just fine. You guys could also branch out into converter boxes/codecs for older consoles. I used a tuner card, a special codec, the right video player, and shutter glasses to convert my sega saturn games to 3d. Dreamcast would be great since it's widescreen.

I guess hardware converter box would be faster then a PCI card? Not sure.
Last edited by Direlight on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

PalmerTech wrote:We are still on schedule to be shipping Kickstarter orders in March. Orders on the website will come soon afterwards.
Thanks for the update. So great to get confirmation.

Return to “Oculus VR”