Commercially viable Locomotive doesnt leave you breathless

Wazza
One Eyed Hopeful

Commercially viable Locomotive doesnt leave you breathless

Post by Wazza »

Hey bloggers. Ive just watched the Fallon show last night and researching the Oculus rift, there seems to be a huge buzz around the device. I just stumbled across MTBS, and this blog, and i think ive got an idea for an effective locomotive device that doesnt leave users out of breath. Though a minimal degree of core strength is required, its actually quite a commercially feasible concept. Only Using springs or hydrolics to create a neutral standing position, this semi spherical locomotive utilizes your own weight to turn what ever direction you desire The more you tilt toward one direction, the greater the speed. Although the tilting should not pass 22 degrees so then rails would not be needed for balance. Perhaps even using vibrations and tilting movement so then the user can have feedback on the surface such as surface elevations or gravel. There is also a low friction rotational circular stand that will make turning easier and faster using some minimal core strength, where a surrounding rough surface can be used to stabilize or stop the circular motion. Additionally, inertia would not become a problem because of hydrolics/springs, the locomotive assumes a neutral standing position so then swift directional changes would be uninhibited. Please criticize or comment if you like.
This is the basic picture ive drawn on paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wazza on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wazza
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Locomotive doesnt leave you out of breath and low inerti

Post by Wazza »

Any suggestions guys :| :shock:
Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Commercially viable Locomotive doesnt leave you breathle

Post by Diorama »

Well it's good to know that the Fallon exposure worked :shock:
Wazza
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Wazza »

What do you think of the concept diorama
Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Diorama »

I need more time to digest it but at first glance it looks like it would be great for any kind of UFO or Magic Carpet type game, where tilting to move would already feel natural.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

That's an interesting concept, but it doesn't really solve that many problems in terms of realism of locomotion. And there's also the fact that it's as dangerous as all get-out. The fact that it's an elevated platform is bad, but wearing the rift will absolutely destroy your sense of balance until they get positional tracking in there.

Also reminds me vaguely of the Surfset:
http://vimeo.com/48822743

Try attaching a gyro to it and tell me how it works out when wearing the rift.
Wazza
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Wazza »

The problem of any elliptical locomotive is that of inertia and resulting latency...My concept solves this because naturally as a result of hydrolic systems, the neutral point would be at the centre standing position which means faster directional changes in fp..Ellipticals have the problem of inertia which means slower speed and directional changes. Also feedback would be possible because of the hydrolic system similar to a flight similator. Unless there is a frictionless elliptical that can enable one to turn without much effort and the lag of inertia, ellipticals or any other mechanisms that tries to capture natural walking or running would be inefficient and a literal balancing act. Taking account that those who cannot jog or run for more than a minute would find elliptical based contraptions too strenuous would mean a major section of the gaming community would not want to purchase these locomotives.
Wazza
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Wazza »

That is why i said depression or elevation tilts are limited by 15 to 18 degrees..your right on the part that the oculus will complicate things, yet i think that would be true of any other locomotive. That being said, i would love to buy the OR so then i could fine tune my model to see favourable conditions and possible variables that might hinder immersion or create major problems, perhaps adding railing or a support structure would be wised if elevation surpasses a certain balance limit. I dont see elliptical based loco's as a commercial solution, unless inertia and balance problems can be solved.
Wazza
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Wazza »

Zalo thanks for the suggestions, i have added safety features. The additions are safety vest, the similar to those used in indoor rock climbing, i dont know the specific name. But they should solve the problem of disorientation and falls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

I might be missing something here and if I am I apologize. I am thinking for a similar control mechanism I would swap this out for a pair of shoes with some pressure sensors.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Wazza, you can't turn around now. And leaning is much more difficult because I assume your platform slides positionally across the dome in addition to tilting (if not, it could make it a little easier... but now you have a harness pulling up on your real body all the time).

I don't think this is as good of a solution as the wizdish. It's not elevated, so no need for harnesses (and in turn, not as dangerous). You can turn. It approximates the walking motion decently well. etc. Thats like dragging your feet, this is like an omnidirectional virtual Segway.

By the way, I'm not trying to be harsh, just giving you my realistic impression of the idea. Welcome to the MTBS forums!
Zasteba
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zasteba »

Welcome to the forums! At first glance we might seem to pick your idea apart out of spite, but that is truly not the case. The people here are searching for the best practical solution for a believable virtual environment, and you will find many here who build their own devices and rigs to achieve this goal. The responses you are receiving are the result of people actually taking your idea seriously, and trying to find a method to implement it in the most effective use of the design possible. Unlike Reddit and other forums, we like to see critical discussion; since the result produces a much better idea in the end :mrgreen:
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

zeroxygen wrote:I might be missing something here and if I am I apologize. I am thinking for a similar control mechanism I would swap this out for a pair of shoes with some pressure sensors.
Or a Wii balance board.

Return to “Oculus VR”