Omnidirectional camera takes 360° photo - Rift applications?

Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Omnidirectional camera takes 360° photo - Rift applications?

Post by Oneironaut »

This is a prototype from Japan. They want to enable video in the future, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wjNjsBnH5E

Now, imagine this. You take a bunch of photos of a room, where they essentially form a "grid". Then, using software you fuse the information into a coherent 3D world representation, which would allow you to walk anywhere in that room AND look wherever you want.

Imagine the applications for virtual tourism. Please tell me that someone is working on this already!
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Omnidirectional camera takes 360° photo - Rift applicati

Post by MSat »

I'm more interested in hearing about EyeMirror's 13K RCD

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... =30#p91131
What I have developed myself now is a way to capture real video in 360x360 panoramic format also in true 3D (not fake). The camera shoots at 13k resolution. Yes that's 13x the power of HD, so nothing is missed in detail. Its great for HMD's with tracking. I have tried it on a few. We are exhibiting at CES on January 8th to show the product. Already have integrated the great Sixense hydra tracker, that also has zoom to our viewing software. This means we its compatible with just about any display. I will place our viewer and footage links in this forum, with Sixense tracking in the next few weeks.
They were supposed to be at CES, but there was no news to be found. Still, they have some panorama attachments for a camera of your choice.. www.eye-mirror.com
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Even without a stereoscopic representation, I think it would be awesome for stuff like experiential vacation photos or home buying/rental photos.
danielbln
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danielbln »

Oneironaut wrote: Now, imagine this. You take a bunch of photos of a room, where they essentially form a "grid". Then, using software you fuse the information into a coherent 3D world representation, which would allow you to walk anywhere in that room AND look wherever you want.
!
Sounds like Photosynth, where a 3D point cloud is being created from a bunch of images. http://photosynth.net/
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

The camera shoots at 13k resolution. Yes that's 13x the power of HD
What kind of crazy math is that?
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

Laserschwert wrote:
Good catch.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Laserschwert wrote:
No idea. Silly marketing talk?
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

It's silly alright :lol: Especially the "Yes" as in "Yes, you've probably wondered if that's really 13 times HD, and yes, it's true!" :mrgreen:
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

Yes very cool, I think you don't even need a special omnidirectional camera, there are already apps that allow you to stitch "normal" photos together in such a way that the end result is a 3D object.

Question for the many programming wizards on this board :) : this is a 3D visualisation of a castle made with Autodesk 123D Catch. He just walked around the castle and took 54 photos then he used the free 123D Catch app to create this rather impressive model :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmzyz9daa0s[/youtube]

How much work would be needed to be able to walk around this castle in VR with the Oculus Rift ?
Is that even possible at all ? (stereo,drivers,warping,...)
Randomoneh
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Randomoneh »

MSat wrote:I'm more interested in hearing about EyeMirror's 13K RCD

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... =30#p91131
What I have developed myself now is a way to capture real video in 360x360 panoramic format also in true 3D (not fake). The camera shoots at 13k resolution. Yes that's 13x the power of HD, so nothing is missed in detail. Its great for HMD's with tracking. I have tried it on a few. We are exhibiting at CES on January 8th to show the product. Already have integrated the great Sixense hydra tracker, that also has zoom to our viewing software. This means we its compatible with just about any display. I will place our viewer and footage links in this forum, with Sixense tracking in the next few weeks.
They were supposed to be at CES, but there was no news to be found. Still, they have some panorama attachments for a camera of your choice.. http://www.eye-mirror.com
Can you link me to the source of this statement? What's the exact resolution besides vague "13K"?

Edit: Sorry, I see it now.
DrZimmerman wrote:Yes very cool, I think you don't even need a special omnidirectional camera, there are already apps that allow you to stitch "normal" photos together in such a way that the end result is a 3D object.
Question for the many programming wizards on this board :) : this is a 3D visualisation of a castle made with Autodesk 123D Catch. He just walked around the castle and took 54 photos then he used the free 123D Catch app to create this rather impressive model :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmzyz9daa0s[/youtube]
How much work would be needed to be able to walk around this castle in VR with the Oculus Rift ?
Is that even possible at all ? (stereo,drivers,warping,...)
I've been using Autodesk's software before it was known as Autodesk 123D and it did a great job at stitching photographs into 3D models. I I remember correctly, you could easily (not a piece-of cake easily, but not really hard either) convert those points into models compatible with modern game engines. Of course, you'd probably have to reduce a number of polygons.
This member owns things.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Imagine this 360 degree video with the Rift! :woot

http://www.spiegel.de/static/360grad/kamtschatka/

(The resolution is a bit low, but other than that I find it pretty amazing.)
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

Randomoneh wrote:I've been using Autodesk's software before it was known as Autodesk 123D and it did a great job at stitching photographs into 3D models. I I remember correctly, you could easily (not a piece-of cake easily, but not really hard either) convert those points into models compatible with modern game engines. Of course, you'd probably have to reduce a number of polygons.
Thanks for the response Randomoneh, I think there are some interesting applications for this technology. I found several archaeology departments who are already using 123D Catch in combination with Unity or other software to make models of artifacts and excavations. VR would be the next logical step.
Sid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sid »

Just thinking out-loud, a LiDAR system might prove interesting for these types of applications-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIEmf8T6auc
vtms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vtms »

Imagine a 3D 360 video at 4K per eye and watching sports. Some people would no longer go to see games, I guess, as the experience with HMD might, in some ways, even exceed the real thing (no tickets to buy, no traffic, being much closer to action than on stands, replays). Can't wait.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

I thought the Ricoh camera looked stupid at first, but now when I have seen that video I realize they made it like that to remove itself from the picture, very inspiring! :D Makes me want it, haha!

As for 360 degree video, I was also looking forward to seeing the 13K S3D 360 camera, but alas a no-show. At the end of CES I PMed him about it here on the forum but no reply.

Instead Geonaute introduced a 360 action camera that uses three lenses, much similar to the 360 photographic GiroCam. Here is a video sample from the Geonaute camera. It auto-stitches a 2048x1024 video, I just wish it would have a higher framerate :P as with most 360 videos I have seen...

Before this I was very interested in the Tamaggo which was supposed to release last summer, but didn't :? Even if it appeared to have been vaporware they recently updated their website, including specs for a video-mode which was not included at the announcement. The form factor is questionable but it's interesting as it uses a single panomorph lens from ImmerVision.

Of course my interest stems from the aspect of watching 360 video in the Rift :geek: even if they are quite neat just as is, hehe.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

The problem with 3D video is that you're still tied to one geographical place, only being able to swing around one axis. Mapping a room with multiple 3D photographs would allow the complete freedom of exploration (in static scenes, at least).
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Oneironaut wrote:The problem with 3D video is that you're still tied to one geographical place, only being able to swing around one axis.
Might not be a huge issue for VRTV, at least for situations where you would be staying still anyway. Imagine just placing one 360 3D camera on one of the chairs in the audience of, say, 'The Price is Right'. People at home could watch the gameshow as if they were sat on the seat, in the studio.

You could even sell 'VIP' seats. What would people pay to sit on the judges table on the X Factor or America's Got Talent? Look to your right and Simon Cowell is right there :shock: You could even get to vote 'Yes' or 'No', and the VR votes are counted.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

I think this http://www.spiegel.de/static/360grad/kamtschatka/ is a great 360 degrees video (of a volcano fly-by) where you can look where-ever you want, you can even change the fov by using the scroll wheel. They've also managed to not make the mount visible, so it's all seamless.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Paladia wrote:I think this http://www.spiegel.de/static/360grad/kamtschatka/ is a great 360 degrees video (of a volcano fly-by) where you can look where-ever you want, you can even change the fov by using the scroll wheel. They've also managed to not make the mount visible, so it's all seamless.
I totally agree! In fact, I mentioned it just a few posts before you ;)
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

Zoide wrote:
Paladia wrote:I think this http://www.spiegel.de/static/360grad/kamtschatka/ is a great 360 degrees video (of a volcano fly-by) where you can look where-ever you want, you can even change the fov by using the scroll wheel. They've also managed to not make the mount visible, so it's all seamless.
I totally agree! In fact, I mentioned it just a few posts before you ;)
Must have missed your post, I apologize. As you can change the fov it would likely work pretty well with the Rift. Only drawback is that you can't watch it in 3d.

Return to “Oculus VR”