Game studios and developers that reject the oculus rift

greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Game studios and developers that reject the oculus rift

Post by greenknight »

Are there whole studios with a culture set against VR or the oculus rift? Sure, there are individuals that don't like VR, usually for good reason. Todd Howard reportedly doesn't enjoy VR, and others are very sensitive and feel nausea rather easily.

But what about a studio that rejects it for reasons beyond issues of latency induced nausea? If anyone knows a studio or a person that dislikes the VR experience for reasons other than nausea/latency, I would love to have them post about why that is the case in this thread.

For me, though, a little bit of nausea is worth it.
Last edited by greenknight on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direlight
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Game studios and developers that reject the oculus rift

Post by Direlight »

They will have made a powerful enemy, because

Not to mention...

BluHaze
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BluHaze »

I expected to find here a list of companies to boycott...
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

Please don't try to locate companies or individuals that doesn't believe VR is a good idea. That is a good way of creating more people that avoids the Rift at all costs.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Gizmodo seems to have a thing against it. I haven't noticed any developers yet though.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

greenknight wrote: Todd Howard reportedly doesn't enjoy VR..
Please tell me you are joking. I am hoping for Rift support in Fallout 4 :S
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

We are all jumping the gun a bit.

I believe in it. I think it will change gaming. I joined Kickstarter JUST to Kickstart this thing.

But that doesn't mean this thing is gonna be great.

Before we start boycotting companies for not believing in it lets actually get our hands on this thing and make sure it works as advertised and has compelling features.

If it DOES work then companies that don't support it will be sealing their own fate.
danielbln
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danielbln »

Namielus wrote:
greenknight wrote: Todd Howard reportedly doesn't enjoy VR..
Please tell me you are joking. I am hoping for Rift support in Fallout 4 :S
If it makes monetary sense for Bethesda, it really doesn't matter if Mr. Howard gets woozy from it, it will be made.
mindw0rk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mindw0rk »

Todd Howard just said he doesnt care about 3D glasses. Im sure if he saw Skyrim in 3D Vision 2 how I play it, he would change his mind instantly. More so if he played Skyrim in Oculus Rift
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

zino wrote:Please don't try to locate companies or individuals that doesn't believe VR is a good idea. That is a good way of creating more people that avoids the Rift at all costs.
Criticism is a means of growth, not rejection. I love the rift, and I haven't even tried it yet!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I have not heard of a person that tried it and did not like it. Some where rather reserved and some non-gamers had no real "let me try again" reaction (judging from the YouTube videos), but a negative reaction?

I guess that is more a thing for people that have not tried it.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

While I am a fan of 3D, it's good to have opinions different to my own. This is the same a religion (or any subjective thought or opinion) - just because I don't believe in it, doesn't mean that someone who does is wrong, just different.
If there is a developer who has negative feelings towards 3D or VR, they may have good reason for it and I would suggest not getting into the 'let's boycott' mindset. I would hope that most people on here are open minded enough to accept that not everyone is the same.
I kind of think this is like people who refuse to play a side scroller because it's not using the latest 3D rendering, even if it's a fantastic game. Or someone who will dis games like minecraft without trying it because it doesn't look like a modern game.
If it fits artistically, it is the developer who will miss out (due to missed sales opportunities) if they don't support the latest technology. Most games have forums that the developers monitor, so it's good to petition for support in this way, but let's keep it friendly, not hateful. Invite people into the group rather then spite them for being out.

Just my opinion. ;-)
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Developers don't even really like supporting 3D just because of time/resources. VR + 3D is gonna be ALOT more of both. I think boycotting is kind of a bad idea. The best idea is to give tech demo's to developers as the rift has been doing and actually get them excited about it. Thats the problem with 3D Vision, people say its terrible though they've never tried it, they just make assumptions based on 3D movies. Word of mouth is definitely the best route for the Rift. Boycotting will just give non-users a cult feeling.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Vote with your dollars. Buy every Oculus-ready game on day one and show developers what's up.

So far I have bought Doom 3 : BFG on Steam (even though I have a free copy coming with my Rift).
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

It will be a long time - if ever - before every game is made for VR. If there is a big enough VR user base, then I doubt there will be a shortage of developers. I think the number of dev kits sold is a good sign of things to come.

BTW, isn't anyone at least somewhat curious about the big nVidia logo that was at Oculus' CES booth? :D
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

There was a big nvidia logo at their booth? Why ... has ... nobody asked about that and blogged it to us???
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

MSat wrote:BTW, isn't anyone at least somewhat curious about the big nVidia logo that was at Oculus' CES booth? :D
So what's your guess? Providing added hardware/driver support? Or maybe just a sponsorship deal? I'd think it would be more than just a "the way its meant to be played" logo.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

ahhhh .. now I get it, it is support for their android handheld system... being able to be used with a portable rift would give it a usp to actually make me buy one.
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

That would also explain why its on Jimmy Fallon tonight. I wonder if they'll actually pair the Rift with one. Probably not but who knows.

Edit: My bad confused that with Razer tablet thing, which is what is also being shown alongside the Rift I believe.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

I was thinking that they might just one day add some level of native support.
omeDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by omeDev »

I've seen every video that has to do with the rift and so far.. no bad reviews,reactions etc..
Lurking in the shadows.
indiegogo has a gaming section:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects?filte ... ory=Gaming
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

cybereality wrote:Vote with your dollars. Buy every Oculus-ready game on day one and show developers what's up.

So far I have bought Doom 3 : BFG on Steam (even though I have a free copy coming with my Rift).
Very solid advice. Oculus has word of mouth, but developers need more confidence than what a cult following can instill in their team in order to create games for it (for triple A studios at least).
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

omeDev wrote:I've seen every video that has to do with the rift and so far.. no bad reviews,reactions etc..

Exactly. Where is the negative? I am thinking how in the world could this fail? I don't think it will, but it is possible few if any studious make triple A VR games in the next 3-5 years.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

omeDev wrote:I've seen every video that has to do with the rift and so far.. no bad reviews,reactions etc..
There was a very similar reaction to the original Nintendo Wii tech demos (Wii Sports). Everybody who tried Tennis came away amazed. The potential was there and the sky was the limit. As it turned out the Wiimotes did not even contain enough technology to provide 1 to 1 control.

I think this is a different case with Oculus Rift, but take tech demos with a grain of salt. Sometimes they give the illusion of potential that's not really there.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Of course, tech demos are always made to bring out the best of a technology and hide any potential flaws.
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

VR gaming is like electric/hydrogen cars: manufacturers/developpers actually knows this is the future of their industry, but they are waiting for the right moment to jump in. Changing their process and habits represent a high cost, so it must be planned carefully.

I don't think that any developper reject VR forever. It would be a nonsense. The longer they wait, the more they potentially save money and minimize the risk. But they could also miss a unique opportunity to take the lead in a new and promising market...It is a question of time and strategy, not ideology.
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

laast wrote:VR gaming is like electric/hydrogen cars: manufacturers/developpers actually knows this is the future of their industry, but they are waiting for the right moment to jump in. Changing their process and habits represent a high cost, so it must be planned carefully.

I don't think that any developper reject VR forever. It would be a nonsense. The longer they wait, the more they potentially save money and minimize the risk. But they could also miss a unique opportunity to take the lead in a new and promising market...It is a question of time and strategy, not ideology.
I'll jump in with a valid criticism then, that seems pretty deep/permanent.

One developer who was working on doom 4 mentioned that he didn't like the oculus rift at first. I asked why, and he replied at first he thought the idea of wearing goggles is goofy. I think he was hinting at the isolating/dorky nature of wearing something on your face, and then also the unavoidable disconnect from the so called outside world. VR isn't cool, it's uber nerdy. But I am very intellectually minded, so it is not a criticism that is valid for me.

But, there is the fact that the goggles isolate you from the outside world. This seems like a really valid critique of the technology in general, but not the oculus rift in particular. Of course, being able to switch between the game world and your current real point of view of what is going on will probably be added as a feature in the future. But, that won't change the fact that you are in another world.

It's not that big a deal to me, but probably is for many parents.

:)
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

greenknight wrote:
But, there is the fact that the goggles isolate you from the outside world. This seems like a really valid critique of the technology in general, but not the oculus rift in particular. Of course, being able to switch between the game world and your current real point of view of what is going on will probably be added as a feature in the future. But, that won't change the fact that you are in another world.

It's not that big a deal to me, but probably is for many parents.

:)
The fact that goggles isolate you from the outside world is not a valid argument for me. It is a prejudice. When you play in front of your screen, wearing your headphones (and maybe your active 3D glasses), you ARE isolated from outside. My wife who tries to speak with me when I'm playing could confirm that.

And tomorrow, when I'll wear a rift on my face, things will be exactly the same... ;)
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

MSat wrote:It will be a long time - if ever - before every game is made for VR. If there is a big enough VR user base, then I doubt there will be a shortage of developers. I think the number of dev kits sold is a good sign of things to come.

BTW, isn't anyone at least somewhat curious about the big nVidia logo that was at Oculus' CES booth? :D
Oculus rift in HD will be a hungry monster,which is exactly Nvidia need the most. And from the photo palmer show in his twitter.He use a nvidia video card.So I guess nvidia might said:Hi palmer,rift is interest,let me help you a little bit. Maybe there will be something more.

In my opinion,this is what's really going on:

Steam box+Oculus rift+Nvidia video card and shield
Oculus rift,it's here,I'm there.

Return to “Oculus VR”