What (good) monitor can I get for under $300?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
CountViceroy
One Eyed Hopeful

What (good) monitor can I get for under $300?

Post by CountViceroy »

So I was looking into 3d stuff a few years ago, had a bad experience with that one lame shutterglasses company that jived me into thinking their shutterglasses would be fine on my LCD monitor.

Now I'm working on a game making project, and because of some port disfunction with my current monitor, I NEED to get a new monitor.

I don't know for sure if I'm going to need a 3D monitor going forward making games, but I might, and it seems like a waste to get a new monitor that won't have the features I've been wanting.

I'd love to get a good monitor, I'd want 23" or bigger. I'll need to be able to hook an oldish mac to it through DVI, and a PC (HD 6850 video card, windows 7) simultaneously.

I'd really be grateful for your advice, it's pretty difficult to compare these things sight unseen, and trying to go by amazon reviews. I figured you guys would be the guys.

I'd like to keep it under $250, or at least under $300 if I can.
P.S.

Big fan of:
Hellgate London
Tribes Ascend

anyone know how well those two do in 3D? :-D
8bit
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: What (good) monitor can I get for under $300?

Post by 8bit »

CountViceroy, Did you ever decide on a monitor?

I'm in the same boat as you. I started looking at 3D monitors and quickly realized the first question to ask is "active or passive 3D"?
At first I was thinking passive because of the brightness and cheaper glasses but after a bit of research I'm thinking active for the clarity on screen and nice 120hz refresh during 2D viewing.

Anyway, I figured responding would give more attention to your subject and hopefully get a few responses from other members.

Happy hunting - I'll respond after I decide on one.
8bit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 8bit »

I ended up getting the BenQ xl2420t for 390. It fully supports NVidia Vision 2 and overall sounds like a good monitor. It's a little above my target price point but from comparing monitors seems like it will be worth it. Plus it comes with the glasses.

The next step up is the xl2420tx which supports hdmi 1.4 so that you can do 3D through HDMI - it will cost you about $450 though.

Good luck.
8bit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 8bit »

I was wrong. The xl2420t does not come with glasses.
Get the xl2420tx.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Did you get it yet? How is the BenQ?
8bit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 8bit »

Hey Cyber sorry I didn't see this post. Yeah I bought the BenQ and it is great. I honestly don't have a lot to compare against but the 3D in Dear Esther has been amazing. Also in normal 2D it is very fluid and nice to see my screen in 120hz. I totally recommend this monitor to anyone looking for a 3D upgrade.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”