STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Shuhei Yoshida (Sony) on Twitter: I say Oculus, you say _ _

Post by STRZ »

twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Re: Shuhei Yoshida (Sony) on Twitter: I say Oculus, you say

Post by twofoe »

Please do not read too much into my tweet, I was just showing respect for an episode of The Verge podcast reporting CES, they were so funny.
That was an excellent show, I have to agree.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I'm still scratching my head with this one... what an odd post!
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

He's just showing an interest in the tech. Luckily this doesn't mean Sony is interested in buying Oculus LLC. That would make my heart sink.
GPU: NVidia GTX 680|CPU: Core i5-2400|RAM: 16gig|SSD: 120GB|HDD: 1.25TB|Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

Delryn wrote:Luckily this doesn't mean Sony is interested in buying Oculus LLC. That would make my heart sink.
I certainly hope Sony are interested - Oculus is turning into a great company and the Rift is (or will be) an amazing product.

What would "make my heart sink" is if Oculus accepted a bid from Sony. (Or any other tech giant for that matter)
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

Mart wrote:
What would "make my heart sink" is if Oculus accepted a bid from Sony. (Or any other tech giant for that matter)
Do the words 'exclusivity' and 'proprietarity' say anything to you?
Fieno
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fieno »

I'm sure he is just showing his interest in gaming tech. I've never seen such a down to earth exec with his finger on the pulse of his customers who actually plays with the products he releases.

He shows up once in awhile on Sony gaming podcasts (Beyondddd!) and actually knows all their inside jokes etc.

Is it March yet btw?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The answer is "RIFT" I guess.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

cybereality wrote:The answer is "RIFT" I guess.
And here I was thinking the answer was "SONY"
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Do you take it as announcement for a VR competitor, like throwing the HMZ T2 into the trashbin and sending their staff back into the lab creating a bigger FOV one, or du you think that the PS4 will support the Rift?

He wrote "please don't read much into my tweet" not "do not read anything into my tweet", right? :shock:
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

STRZ wrote:Do you take it as announcement for a VR competitor, like throwing the HMZ T2 into the trashbin and sending their staff back into the lab creating a bigger FOV one, or du you think that the PS4 will support the Rift?

He wrote "please don't read much into my tweet" not "do not read anything into my tweet", right? :shock:
Now you're reading too much into his tweet about not reading too much into his tweet. :?
MSat

Post by MSat »

STRZ wrote:Do you take it as announcement for a VR competitor, like throwing the HMZ T2 into the trashbin and sending their staff back into the lab creating a bigger FOV one, or du you think that the PS4 will support the Rift?

I don't think HMZ was particularly intended to be a VR HMD, but rather just a standard media HMD. There really doesn't seem to be much overlap between that device and the Rift.

Unless the PS4/Xbox720 forces HDCP over HDMI and the consumer Rift doesn't support it (and there's good reason not to - it introduces latency), then I see no legitimate reason why they shouldn't let developers add support for it (assuming they don't make their own version, but why should they?). It's not like console manufacturers make all the peripherals used in a game - Guitar Hero controllers come to mind. Ok, I know the GH controllers aren't cross compatible with each console, but I think that has more to do with the game publishers not allowing it (so they can sell more units perhaps), and not the console companies themselves. If Rift support would push more people to buy a console and its games, then they would be stupid not to allow it.

As for the tweet, I don't know what to think.
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

Oculus Sony could be for real... Oculus rift problably wont work in next gen consoles (not with 1080 60 fps for each eye)

so probably Sony and MS will be making its own Oculus with lower resolutions and so...
SartreFan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SartreFan »

MSat wrote:

I don't think HMZ was particularly intended to be a VR HMD, but rather just a standard media HMD. There really doesn't seem to be much overlap between that device and the Rift.

Unless the PS4/Xbox720 forces HDCP over HDMI and the consumer Rift doesn't support it (and there's good reason not to - it introduces latency), then I see no legitimate reason why they shouldn't let developers add support for it (assuming they don't make their own version, but why should they?). It's not like console manufacturers make all the peripherals used in a game - Guitar Hero controllers come to mind. Ok, I know the GH controllers aren't cross compatible with each console, but I think that has more to do with the game publishers not allowing it (so they can sell more units perhaps), and not the console companies themselves. If Rift support would push more people to buy a console and its games, then they would be stupid not to allow it.

I think it would be surprising if they do require HDCP. They still have a lot of television sets with analog inputs to consider
German
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by German »

SartreFan wrote:I think it would be surprising if they do require HDCP. They still have a lot of television sets with analog inputs to consider
The PS3 requires HDCP if you use HDMI. You have to use component otherwise.
MSat

Post by MSat »

SartreFan wrote:
MSat wrote:

I think it would be surprising if they do require HDCP. They still have a lot of television sets with analog inputs to consider
The consumer version of the Rift is likely to only have digital HMDI/DVI input. My understanding is that the current PS3 forces HDCP over HDMI (does it even have analog outputs?), so the PS4 is likely to have it too. I think is completely absurd even if you use it to watch movies. Someone who has the skills to rip movies can figure out a way to circumvent the security - not to mention that there are devices that do so, so what's the point? When it comes to games, there's no excuse to force users to play on an HDCP-capable monitor.
SartreFan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SartreFan »

MSat wrote:
The consumer version of the Rift is likely to only have digital HMDI/DVI input. My understanding is that the current PS3 forces HDCP over HDMI (does it even have analog outputs?), so the PS4 is likely to have it too. I think is completely absurd even if you use it to watch movies. Someone who has the skills to rip movies can figure out a way to circumvent the security - not to mention that there are devices that do so, so what's the point? When it comes to games, there's no excuse to force users to play on an HDCP-capable monitor.

The PS3 does allow analog output. If you try to play a bluray however over an analog connection on the newer models it will force a 480p output. I'm not sure if the same thing applies for games but I don't think it does

Return to “Oculus VR”