Want to build a 2D HMD. Rez is king.

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Cygnewav
One Eyed Hopeful

Want to build a 2D HMD. Rez is king.

Post by Cygnewav »

Hi all,
first post after doing some lurking here... so go easy on the flame if this thread is in the wrong spot or of no interest ;) thx.

I want to build a 2D HMD out of a single display- possibly a smartphone. Resolution is king here for someone who just wants to work in private- and I have no need for 3D. All I want is to be able to work on my pc comfortably from a recliner and avoid back pain :)... sooo. I'm looking for some advice.

I need 1080p. Everything in the Rift forum seems to focus on 720p max- that's not for me. I need at least full HD where screen real estate is concerned.

Would a smartphone used as a display be an option? There are all kinds of 5" 1080p coming up this year from LG, etc.. saw at CES. Could I use a smartphone as my display? There seems to be some consensus that this is possible on the web.

Second what kind of optics would I need? I need to see my screen edges, not fill my entire view.
This should be easy for some of you...

-thanks
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Want to build a 2D HMD. Rez is king.

Post by PasticheDonkey »

well since this is meant to be seen in 3D wanting 2D is a faux pas.
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

You probably want a different forum. This is specifically for the Oculus Rift.
GPU: NVidia GTX 680|CPU: Core i5-2400|RAM: 16gig|SSD: 120GB|HDD: 1.25TB|Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
Randomoneh
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Randomoneh »

Delryn wrote:You probably want a different forum. This is specifically for the Oculus Rift.
It's sad that other subforums are ghost towns. He has a low chance of getting an answer elsewhere.

I remember Palmer was talking about his side-project of turning phone displays into HMDs. It's called FOV2GO.
This member owns things.
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

I think it could be done, but it might be tricky with the optics.
I would check out the DIY Rift post here, but when setting up the lenses, you'd want to angle them so that they both forced your eyes to look at the middle of a single display instead of at the left or right half of a single display.

The problem would likely be that by angling the lenses, you would probably end up getting a skewed view the same screen in each eye so the images wouldn't line up.

But, if you were OK with making a longer HMD, I think you could buy some magnifying glasses like this: http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/1688 ... QgodzX8A9g
Then placing the screen in a spot that they are able to magnify correctly, then building a non-tracked HMD out of it.

MTBS2D hehe

Good Luck!
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
Cathodoluminescence
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cathodoluminescence »

The idea of a 2d HMD just for working (=excel, word, programming, etc.) seems to be a really good idea. With parallel light through the lenses you would focus at infinity like with the rift which means no eye strains after a long work in the office (from looking at a screen just halve a metre in front of you).

The question is to what extend you would need headtracking and what kind of high-res panel is there with on the market with sufficient latency. I imagine when using just excel or so you won't need that low latencies as with gaming (for fast headmovements and so on).
mich75
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mich75 »

Hi
Fellow lurker/first poster here too. My initial interest in the Rift was also for 2D use but for FPV (First person view, controlling RC planes etc via on-board cam). Sadly I don't think the Rift will ever meet those needs - we need single image, 640x480 minimum res and ideally 40-60° FOV.

We don't yet have a perfect off the shelf solution, Fatshark goggles being the closest it gets. Limited res & they don't work for everyone(not enough eye relief to accommodate corrective eyewear).

Some of us have chosen instead to build our own display devices using inexpensive smaller LCD's, mostly 3.5" or 5" and fresnel lenses.
My own prototype HMD using only an 800x480 lcd with a low grade 2.5x headband magnifier lens has convinced me that a high res 2D HMD can provide a similar viewing experience to being in the best seats of a movie theater! There's a lot of potential...
There is also a lot of room for improvement... better LCD's and custom lenses would help... Unfortunately the form factor isn't quite mass-market ready either...

Anyway just looking to share the info!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Sounds like you need an ST1080: http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/st1080.html
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

I keep reading the thread title, and nodding my head slowly, saying "Yeah. It totally is." But then I realize we're talking about two different things, and that 3D Rift-vision would be necessary for what I have in mind.

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVpn6VJqPLs[/youtube-hd]
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@unsilentwill: Yeah, I thought the same thing!

Also, moving this to the R&D section as its not Rift related.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”