would Infocus X1 or BenQ PB2120 work with pageflipping

efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

would Infocus X1 or BenQ PB2120 work with pageflipping

Post by efendy »

Hi all
This is my first post. I really liked here people help each other a lot. I've been reading posts regarding pageflipping 3D with DLP projectors at 3dstereo.com and here.

I couldnt find any sticky tutorials for a kick start. I've read many posts but there isn't a consensus on most projectors.

Firstly I want to ask a question even I know that the answer will be no :) I have a panasonic pt-ax200u 720p lcd projector. it's vertical sync is 87hz. It wont work, will it? :)

At the moment I also have an Infocus X1 (800x600, 1600ansi, V:85 H:80 ) and BenQ pb2120 (800x600, 1200 ansi, V:100 H:70 wheel segments: 4 speed 2x)

I read mixed thoughts and experiences about X1. would X1 work at 85hz uncropped?

in this list (http://www.vidimensio.eu/EN/positivelist.pdf) x1 is claimed to be working at 85hz.

in that list there is also BenQ pb2140 which works at 85hz (800x600, 1600 ansi V: 100, H:88) there is no difference between pb2120 and 2140 with wheel speed but horizontal sync is different.

Does anybody have experience with X1 or PB2120? can you share them?

Also can you comment on any other projectors which certainly works for you.

I am gonna get ed glasses I think.

I heard Nec LT180 worked very well which I sold 3 months ago. I should have seen tom's hardware article 3 months ago i think :)

thanks a lot
cheers
chrisjarram
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by chrisjarram »

x1 is a popular projector for s3d, not sure about that benq but the mp720p and mp721 are the best in the range for this (xga @ 85hz and 2500 lumens, I use 3 :) Sharp XR-10X is king, but NOT the xr-10xl as there are problems with histogramming.
efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

chrisjarram wrote:x1 is a popular projector for s3d, not sure about that benq but the mp720p and mp721 are the best in the range for this (xga @ 85hz and 2500 lumens, I use 3 :) Sharp XR-10X is king, but NOT the xr-10xl as there are problems with histogramming.
Chris thanks for your reply!

I've read that XR-10X has got firmware problems which blows lamps very early. is this a myth or true? Is there a solution a firmware update for this? I'll have a look at mp720p and mp721. Here in Australia second hand projector business is dead, so it's a little bit hard to find what you want!

thanks a lot
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I tried a BenQ DLP projector and it worked good. I don't remember the numbers, but I think it was 800x600 @ 85hz. Ghosting was no problem, but the glasses were synced wrong, because the projector is one frame back.
You could either turn your glasses upside down or have a switch with the glasses. Maybe some software supports similar things, too, but Revelator glasses don't support it :-(
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

Thanks luke for your reply

I'll try my pb2120 but it's a little bit less bright (1200 ansi), so it would make a problem, but for trial it should be ok as long as it works :)

I also have an ATI card in my HTPC so i need a nvidia card? I have one 7600gt in another pc, shoud I stick to it or get a better one? what is most powerful card supported bby drivers, 7900gtx?

thanks a lot
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Another option is to get the iz3D driver for dual-output and use both projectors. Much better quality than one. You just need to buy some polarizing filters and maybe a new screen (plus the driver of course). I guess doing page-flipping with one projector is easier, but if that doesn't work you could always use both. That should also work with modern ATI cards if that makes a difference.
efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

cybereality wrote:Another option is to get the iz3D driver for dual-output and use both projectors. Much better quality than one. You just need to buy some polarizing filters and maybe a new screen (plus the driver of course). I guess doing page-flipping with one projector is easier, but if that doesn't work you could always use both. That should also work with modern ATI cards if that makes a difference.
Hey cybereality

Thanks for the idea. that sounds like a better idea especially for large audience viewing i think. the problem is i need to set this up in the living room because my study is a little bit small for this activity. I dont think the boss would let me have 3 projectors (1 is already there) hanging and also a gray screen on the wall :) I wish I could manage another pana pt-ax200u but it's a little bit expensive, $2600 (24 months interest free + 5 years extended warranty + free extra lamp).

but passive one is always in my mind if i move to a bigger house :)
thank you
Doon1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Doon1 »

I used an x1 doing stereo for a couple of years on a 4400 and 6800GT card. It took alot of "fiddling" to minimize ghosting and the settings were different for every game. I kept a note pad with the settings for each game written down. The stereo effect was great in all of my games and the laser sight was probably a "cheat" in FPS's. I'm a flight sim fan and while IL2 was GREAT, MSFS2004 had alot of blue ghosting around the cockpit frame. The main issue I had with the X1 is the low resolution. It was impossible to read any of the aircraft's instruments. That becomes an issue when you fighting a turning dogfight and need to see if you have enough energy for a manuver. I'm still trying to decide on wether to get a Samsung TV, a Zalman or Iz3D monitor, or do a passive projector setup. Ideally I would like to have the 54" Samsung with dependable driver support. That doesn't seem to be an option at this point in time. If you do plan on going with the passive projector setup it's best to have matched projectors. Maybe someone will sell you a good, slightly used X1.
John
efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

Doon1 wrote:I used an x1 doing stereo for a couple of years on a 4400 and 6800GT card. It took alot of "fiddling" to minimize ghosting and the settings were different for every game. I kept a note pad with the settings for each game written down. The stereo effect was great in all of my games and the laser sight was probably a "cheat" in FPS's. I'm a flight sim fan and while IL2 was GREAT, MSFS2004 had alot of blue ghosting around the cockpit frame. The main issue I had with the X1 is the low resolution. It was impossible to read any of the aircraft's instruments. That becomes an issue when you fighting a turning dogfight and need to see if you have enough energy for a manuver. I'm still trying to decide on wether to get a Samsung TV, a Zalman or Iz3D monitor, or do a passive projector setup. Ideally I would like to have the 54" Samsung with dependable driver support. That doesn't seem to be an option at this point in time. If you do plan on going with the passive projector setup it's best to have matched projectors. Maybe someone will sell you a good, slightly used X1.
John
Thanks for the reply John

It's really confusing for a beginner to chose which way to go. I just want to spend less for a start that's why i thought I could go with shutter glasses with a dlp projector. Today I bought my 2x ED wireless glasses with accessories and inverter, second hand on ebay for ~$40 plus that much shipping to Australia. So it is a good start IMO, especially money wise :) I'll first try X1 or BenQ pb2120 with glasses then I want to get a 1024x768 projector like an xr-10x. After sometime I could get another xr-10x and make a passive system :). or I could get another pana pt-ax200u lcd for passive.

I read some of the threads and screens for passive projection is kinda expensive can you confirm this?

Also thanks for info about X1 and all the games. It'd be great to use that notepad file for settings!

so there was no problem with X1 like having some part of the image or something?

thanks a lot
cheers
Doon1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Doon1 »

I haven't done passive projection so I don't have any first hand experience. I did research it pretty heavly a couple of years ago and yes they are expensive. They are also fairly small. Fortunatly for all of us several folks out there whom are "paint knowledgeble" thought they were too expensive as well. So they started experimenting and from what I understand came up with an inexpensive paint combo that is as good as the expensive screen without the size limitation. I have a 10' screen that I built for about $50 US. There is a more cost involved for a passive screen ($100-$150) but the application of the paint is the same. try stereo3d.com and AVSforum.com
Hope this helps

John
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Doon1 wrote:try AVSforum.com
John
I didn't know there was CRT projectors: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=900831
efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

Doon1 wrote:I haven't done passive projection so I don't have any first hand experience. I did research it pretty heavly a couple of years ago and yes they are expensive. They are also fairly small. Fortunatly for all of us several folks out there whom are "paint knowledgeble" thought they were too expensive as well. So they started experimenting and from what I understand came up with an inexpensive paint combo that is as good as the expensive screen without the size limitation. I have a 10' screen that I built for about $50 US. There is a more cost involved for a passive screen ($100-$150) but the application of the paint is the same. try stereo3d.com and AVSforum.com
Hope this helps

John
Today, I went to my university's virtual reality theatre run by astronomy department (Swinburne university in Melbourne, Australia). It was a very nice show and all the footage was made by the guys in Astronomy department). They also have an interactive system in which he can navigate through planets, stars etc. they use a passive system. after show i talked with him. he said they are gonna get an HD system and a bigger screen than the one they currently use which is huge! and he said the screen they use is $20.000 after i said you can sell the old one to me :D
there I thought about painting too. I was gonna ask about it and saw your reply :D thanks for that. I'll have a look at stereo3d and avsforum.com.

Update on my progress: yesterday I bought a sharp xr-10x from US ebay. I need to buy the bulb and relamp the old reflector. in the mean time I'll try benq pb2120 or X1 as soon as the glasses arrive.
thanks for all the help.
efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

Freke1 wrote:
Doon1 wrote:try AVSforum.com
John
I didn't know there was CRT projectors: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=900831
I knew but I didn't think about whether they would be used!

I see some on ebay, they are pretty cheap. huge machines though :D

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”