Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Re: Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Post by Ziggurat »

alekki wrote:I hate asking this, but are you still developing the mod? Can we still expect to get a version that works with the official VR mode? I'd love to hear some news, even if it's bad news.
I have talked to WyrmSlayer whom has had lots of contact with Andrew (adoral84). He has not herd from him for some time now, and do not know why.
Hope he is just taking a break, if not we will have to wait for some other game.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

If my github url is correct, the project hasn't had any updates for 3 months at this point :cry: A crying shame, as the hydra implementation looked to be spectacular.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BOLL »

It has been the season of travel, vacations, family socialization, moving to new places, starting new jobs or studies... I'm sure Adoral84 has a sensible reason for doing any commits to the git. Illness? Bored with it? Burnt out? All possible, we'll just have to hope it's nothing too serious. As always when someone is gone from the Internet for more than two days, we fear the worst.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

it was fantastic, but i gave up on this as for the official version, this mod is so much better, however out of the box and no hassle verses old version/verieo and loads of messing around, out of the box wins. I really want this mod with the official half life vr version, but i couldnt hold back and wait so im enjoying it now out of the box.

I reeeeeallllly hope this mod continues with the official vr version( Please before i finish HL2, EP1 & 2 ) :)
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

What about running this mod with Tridef? I've been pretty impressed so far with Tridefs support. I might try this mod tonight with it, as I didn't really like the 'official' HL2 mod that much...
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

lmimmfn wrote:it was fantastic, but i gave up on this as for the official version, this mod is so much better, however out of the box and no hassle verses old version/verieo and loads of messing around, out of the box wins. I really want this mod with the official half life vr version, but i couldnt hold back and wait so im enjoying it now out of the box.
Apologies on the long silence, for a number of the reasons mentioned by @BOLL I wasn't able to dive into this project like I wanted to over pretty much the whole summer. I decided to lay low until I had time to make some real progress and felt confident that things were shaping up into something that was going to be a big enough improvement over the baseline HL2 + rift implementation to be worth pursuing. I'm looking forward to sharing more in the near future.
donkaradiablo wrote:...I'm waiting for adoral's mod to implement HydraDeck + independent aiming, get it integrated with official rift support, making it the perfect game.
:)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Oh thank god - I thought I was going to have to attempt a cack-handed attempt at picking the project up where it was left off, and that was not going to end well! :D Best rift-related news I've heard in a while :)
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by przecinek »

Welcome back Adoral.
Glad to see everything is orl korrect.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

adoral84 wrote:
lmimmfn wrote:it was fantastic, but i gave up on this as for the official version, this mod is so much better, however out of the box and no hassle verses old version/verieo and loads of messing around, out of the box wins. I really want this mod with the official half life vr version, but i couldnt hold back and wait so im enjoying it now out of the box.
Apologies on the long silence, for a number of the reasons mentioned by @BOLL I wasn't able to dive into this project like I wanted to over pretty much the whole summer. I decided to lay low until I had time to make some real progress and felt confident that things were shaping up into something that was going to be a big enough improvement over the baseline HL2 + rift implementation to be worth pursuing. I'm looking forward to sharing more in the near future.
donkaradiablo wrote:...I'm waiting for adoral's mod to implement HydraDeck + independent aiming, get it integrated with official rift support, making it the perfect game.
great to have you back man, i hope i didnt come across as too negative, its not my fault, its because your mod is soo good :P,while the vereio solution was good enough for the time, fighting with vereio and the hydras just took too much time for a sit down in the evening after work and chill, so i had to move to the official version for simplicity( i know yes dev kit, just saying ), REALLY( understatement ) looking forward to your updated version with official support, in fact i wont give a crap about GTA V if you have something in the next while :).

Really glad youre updating it, its very much appreciated, btw hydradeck impl would be fookin awsome haha

Making one of the best games + episodes of all times with less hassle + support for hand movement and positional tracking = the most amazing gaming experience ever, i hope if you can that it would support fakefactory, for me its not something i would prioritize
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

lmimmfn wrote: great to have you back man, i hope i didnt come across as too negative, its not my fault, its because your mod is soo good :P,while the vereio solution was good enough for the time, fighting with vereio and the hydras just took too much time for a sit down in the evening after work and chill, so i had to move to the official version for simplicity( i know yes dev kit, just saying ), REALLY( understatement ) looking forward to your updated version with official support, in fact i wont give a crap about GTA V if you have something in the next while :).

Really glad youre updating it, its very much appreciated, btw hydradeck impl would be fookin awsome haha
Not at all, the difficulties around setup and configuration were an unfortunately reality for the previous versions and something I was bent on improving with this latest version (it should be technically easier to get up and going than valve's HL2 given how many bugs and settings tweaks I made).

Here's the latest, I *really* hope everything works smoothing because I'm completely exhausted after an incredibly long weekend of bug smashing :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... _rift_and/
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

adoral84 wrote:
WTF on reddit, you mad evil genuis, ty so much.

http://vrmods.wordpress.com/2013/09/15/ ... -gun-face/
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

This is MASSIVE news. Thank you for all your hard work, and to all those who helped you. I hope people at Valve (also people everywhere else) get the chance to play through the whole thing to see the retrofitted potential of a stand-up VR experience.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

adoral84 wrote:
lmimmfn wrote: great to have you back man, i hope i didnt come across as too negative, its not my fault, its because your mod is soo good :P,while the vereio solution was good enough for the time, fighting with vereio and the hydras just took too much time for a sit down in the evening after work and chill, so i had to move to the official version for simplicity( i know yes dev kit, just saying ), REALLY( understatement ) looking forward to your updated version with official support, in fact i wont give a crap about GTA V if you have something in the next while :).

Not at all, the difficulties around setup and configuration were an unfortunately reality for the previous versions and something I was bent on improving with this latest version (it should be technically easier to get up and going than valve's HL2 given how many bugs and settings tweaks I made).

Here's the latest, I *really* hope everything works smoothing because I'm completely exhausted after an incredibly long weekend of bug smashing :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... _rift_and/
sorry i missed your reply and seen the reddit post before i updated here, wow, downloading now, thanks manm, thanks so much for your work, especially if youre exhausted working on it, we very much appreciate it, downloading now( well 10 mins ago lol )
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Here's a quick video I threw together this morning showing the positional tracking, I'll post a more thorough one soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOte0bD4lmQ
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

adoral84 wrote:
oh yeah:

http://vrmods.wordpress.com/2013/09/15/ ... -gun-face/
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ adoral84: I gave this mod a shot last night and was very impressed. You've done a great job with the fully moveable weapons etc! This is possibly the best VR playable game I've tried now.

Is there a way to get this mod going in multiplayer? I'd really love to play some deathmatch using both my Rifts.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Got to try this today, very nice.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

WiredEarp wrote:@ adoral84: I gave this mod a shot last night and was very impressed. You've done a great job with the fully moveable weapons etc! This is possibly the best VR playable game I've tried now.

Is there a way to get this mod going in multiplayer? I'd really love to play some deathmatch using both my Rifts.
Multiplayer is in progress and with any luck won't require much more that porting over the changes from the single player project. I'm really looking forward to some proper VR deathmatch as I'm pretty much played out on the HL2 single player content after a ridiculous number of playthroughs over the last year :)
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Thats great news adoral84!
I don't really have any decent VR multiplayer games ATM, so am really eager to see this one in MP. I have a Dactyl Nightmare map I would love to play DM on :)
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Are there any instructions which go with this mod? I tried it last night and was seriously impressed but couldn't get my Hydras to calibrate after placing the left one on my chest. basically the camera ends up being too high and I'm unable to walk through door ways.

Cheers.
Ashok
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ashok »

CylonSurfer wrote:Are there any instructions which go with this mod? I tried it last night and was seriously impressed but couldn't get my Hydras to calibrate after placing the left one on my chest. basically the camera ends up being too high and I'm unable to walk through door ways.

Cheers.
I fired up HL2VR and entered: mt_control_mode 1

I placed the left Hydra in a shirt pocket near my chest, and pushed the calibrate button on the right Hydra while holding it slightly to the right of my waist when standing. I found this to feel really good. :) And for walking I use the PS3 Navigation Controller in my left hand. It works great using a Rocketfish BT Adapter + XInput Wrapper. You don't need MotionInJoy drivers (which suck). I followed these instructions EXACTLY to use the PS3 Nav Controller in HL2VR:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-W ... Controller

Hope that helps!
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Thanks, that was just the information I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up about those PS Move Navigation drivers, I also hated using MotioninJoy so that sounds an ideal alternative.

I'll give it a try later. :D
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

Stunning job adoral, thank you so much for all your efforts; this sets the bar on how VR integration should be done, and also on control schemes for positional tracking and FPS.

One little thing, if you have followed the HL2 "official" Rift support thread i guess you've seen many complains about the pre-warping being off. For me it's really annoying and i believe it could be the reason why some people get worse VR sickness playing HL2 than in other games. Unfortunately Valve has not been able to fix this so far, Joe added a new var called "oculus_use_ovr_distortion", but that didn't help much really.

Here's a direct link to a post i made back in July, with some pictures for direct comparison with other Oculus demos:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... &start=561

I'm not familiar with the SourceSDK.. do you have access to this part of the code? Anything that could be done on your part?

Thanks again!
Ashok
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ashok »

Has anyone found a way to use Cinematic Mod 2013 with HL2VR? I used GCFScape to extract the contents of '2_CM_base_dir.vpk' from CM2013, and I copied the contents to /halflife-vr/ without overwriting any files. Hi-res textures seem to work fine, but many things are missing like decals on walls, lighting, foliage, updated models, etc.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

PatimPatam wrote:Stunning job adoral, thank you so much for all your efforts; this sets the bar on how VR integration should be done, and also on control schemes for positional tracking and FPS.

One little thing, if you have followed the HL2 "official" Rift support thread i guess you've seen many complains about the pre-warping being off. For me it's really annoying and i believe it could be the reason why some people get worse VR sickness playing HL2 than in other games. Unfortunately Valve has not been able to fix this so far, Joe added a new var called "oculus_use_ovr_distortion", but that didn't help much really.
Thanks, I'll take a look at this issue but can't feel the effect myself so it may be hard for me to correct.
Ashok wrote:Has anyone found a way to use Cinematic Mod 2013 with HL2VR? I used GCFScape to extract the contents of '2_CM_base_dir.vpk' from CM2013, and I copied the contents to /halflife-vr/ without overwriting any files. Hi-res textures seem to work fine, but many things are missing like decals on walls, lighting, foliage, updated models, etc.
That's as far as I've gotten as well, things generally look great but things like rubble, ivy etc don't load and I haven't found the resources.
Ashok
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ashok »

Hey guys,

If anyone is using the PS3 Navigation Controller with the XInput wrapper, on my PC the L2 trigger isn't recognized by HL2. If anyone runs into this issue, you can still map L2 to any button on your keyboard using XPadder, and then bind that key to an action in HL2 as a quick workaround.
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

adoral84 wrote:Thanks, I'll take a look at this issue but can't feel the effect myself so it may be hard for me to correct
Yes i know this is quite weird, apparently Joe couldn't see the problem either. Also it doesn't seem to depend on the lense type or eye-lens distance..

Basically for me and some other people the straight vertical lines (like the lamp posts at the train station) look straight only when they are in the middle of your view, but as you move your view left or right (and they move towards the edge) you can see them bending. This does not happen in the Tuscany demo for instance.

If you look at the images i linked with a plain monitor you can clearly see the difference, so i guess the warp algorithm must be different to the default Oculus/Unity one..
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

What button is used to calibrate? I thought it was the start button on the right Hydra but this does nothing for me, I'm stuck as a giant and cannot walk through door ways.

I've checked my Hydra and all the buttons are working so its not a problem with the device itself. I'm trying to use mt_control_mode 1.

UPDATE: Okay seems that the calibrate button is different if you have a UK keyboard layout. Changing the "bind "\" "vr_reset_home_pos; mt_calibrate" to "bind "f" "vr_reset_home_pos; mt_calibrate" in the autoexec.cfg file fixes the issue.

This is really great stuff. Now just to nail down the rest of my controls and I'm sorted.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

I've got a big batch of improvements on the way including:

- Fixed shoot vectors - the dirty little secret (or maybe obvious part :) ) of the first pass was that the weapons were still shooting from eye center the same way they normally do in source games. This is corrected now (as it was in the older versions of the mod).
- Related to above, flashlights and crosshairs also fixed
- Fixed muzzle flashes and tracers
- Reworked picking up objects so you can better control/examine them
- Shell ejections fixed on all weapons and added to the pistol
- New pistol animations
- Weapon origins adjusted to center on gordon's right hand across all models for consistency
- FOV fixes for all cutscenes ( the intro to alyx is now actually pretty decent )
- Rebound the calibrate to a mapping that actually works on UK keyboard setups

I'm hoping barring any crazy issues to also include a fix for eye contact problems with NPCs when using positional body tracking and some new hud work. For those who've played it is there anything jumping out that needs attention?
Ashok
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ashok »

adoral84 wrote: For those who've played it is there anything jumping out that needs attention?
I'm not sure if this information is useful or not, but just for fun I tried copying your mod into the CM2013/hl2 folder without overwriting anything except the /bin/ folder. I also created a new gameinfo.txt file with both your and FAKEFACTORY's custom lines of code. Decoupled aiming actually WORKS in CM2013 but doing this breaks the game for some reason. Lots of scripted events don't seem to trigger, gun models are broken, and Gordon's arm is attached to the weapons which makes calibration virtually impossible. I posted a video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hruYrge3hGw
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

adoral84 wrote:I've got a big batch of improvements on the way including:

- Fixed shoot vectors - the dirty little secret (or maybe obvious part :) ) of the first pass was that the weapons were still shooting from eye center the same way they normally do in source games. This is corrected now (as it was in the older versions of the mod).
- Related to above, flashlights and crosshairs also fixed
- Fixed muzzle flashes and tracers
- Reworked picking up objects so you can better control/examine them
- Shell ejections fixed on all weapons and added to the pistol
- New pistol animations
- Weapon origins adjusted to center on gordon's right hand across all models for consistency
- FOV fixes for all cutscenes ( the intro to alyx is now actually pretty decent )
- Rebound the calibrate to a mapping that actually works on UK keyboard setups

I'm hoping barring any crazy issues to also include a fix for eye contact problems with NPCs when using positional body tracking and some new hud work.
You have been very, VERY busy! :O
For those who've played it is there anything jumping out that needs attention?
I wish I could provide some input, but frustratingly I've not had a chance to play yet - I've just not had time. HL2VR is top of the list, though!
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Ashok wrote:
adoral84 wrote: For those who've played it is there anything jumping out that needs attention?
I'm not sure if this information is useful or not, but just for fun I tried copying your mod into the CM2013/hl2 folder without overwriting anything except the /bin/ folder. I also created a new gameinfo.txt file with both your and FAKEFACTORY's custom lines of code. Decoupled aiming actually WORKS in CM2013 but doing this breaks the game for some reason. Lots of scripted events don't seem to trigger, gun models are broken, and Gordon's arm is attached to the weapons which makes calibration virtually impossible. I posted a video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hruYrge3hGw
Nice, if you keep the weapon models (really only the view models should matter - v_* folders) that should fix the crazy gordon arms. I'll give it a shot and see how it works, I was able to play through quite a bit of CM12 with the older version of my mod doing the same thing.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

I noticed that I could see the screen borders slightly so I tried changing the FOV via the console, now I can't see any weapons / hands or cycle through weapons. Any idea how to fix this? I tried loading a previous save and changing the FOV back to 85 but had no luck :(
Ashok
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ashok »

adoral84 wrote:Nice, if you keep the weapon models (really only the view models should matter - v_* folders) that should fix the crazy gordon arms.
Nice, that actually worked. Copying /halflife-vr/models/weapons to:
/CM2013_MOD/hl2/custom/1_CM_looseFiles/models/weapons

fixed Gordon's crazy arms. Also, I don't think its necessary to modify gameinfo.txt. Unfortunately, CM2013 + HL2VR is still unplayable because overwriting /bin/client.dll and /bin/server.dll breaks scripted events. For now I'm just going to stick with the vanilla visuals + HL2VR, but it seems both mods are very close to playing nicely together.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Ashok wrote:
adoral84 wrote:Nice, if you keep the weapon models (really only the view models should matter - v_* folders) that should fix the crazy gordon arms.
Nice, that actually worked. Copying /halflife-vr/models/weapons to:
/CM2013_MOD/hl2/custom/1_CM_looseFiles/models/weapons

fixed Gordon's crazy arms. Also, I don't think its necessary to modify gameinfo.txt. Unfortunately, CM2013 + HL2VR is still unplayable because overwriting /bin/client.dll and /bin/server.dll breaks scripted events. For now I'm just going to stick with the vanilla visuals + HL2VR, but it seems both mods are very close to playing nicely together.
That's really odd that it breaks scripted events, and you shouldn't need to modify the gameinfo.txt, in fact that may have caused the scenes to not load correctly. Either way, once I get EP1 & 2 all sorted out I'll see if I can sort out CM compatibility, the lighting improvements are really great in the rift.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

I am unable to start the game, I get this error

Engine Error
Could not load library client

Any idea how to fix this? I'm on Windows 8.1 if it has anything to do with something.

EDIT:
I figured out the problem!! I found that your previous versions required Microsoft C++ Runtime files, so I installed those and it worked. Please make your installer aware of this, and install if necessary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Sorry for double posting, but this post is unrelated to my previous post that was solved (with how to).

But Adoral84, thank you very much for this experience that you have given me. It has truly moved me. I did not try the previous version (fear of bad Oculus implementation), but my wait was not in vain. To explain my immersion level; I did not feel that the HL2 world was real, but I could care less if I stood in my apartment or if I was standing in Canada or Beijing. It took me away from reality and in a world unlike ours. This is the best Rift experience I have had, and I was swept way. Too bad I forgot to save my saves, the last time Windows crashed enough for a format.

I hope that you will regain the features that has regressed since the las version though. This is not a demand list, but humble request. I wish that in a future update you will re-implement collision with the crowbar, and the laser sight. Something else I hope to see is calibration with graphical explenation, a la now hold the right wand in a certain way and press the something button. I also hope to see an out of game control panel with options that has explanations, example a checkbox for Oculus VR, and radio buttons for the different control schemes. And for the installer please add a check for if you have C++ Runtime files, and fetch those from Microsoft if not or even add them to the installer if thats legal. (Edit: Also I wish for SteamOS support because of awesome)

I hope I do not come off as demanding, I really am humbled by what I did experience just now. Thats my wishlist :)
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Here's a quick video of how I'm getting rid of the odd, floating out in space HUD elements, I think it's a big improvement as it's not a constant visual distraction that I found to be one of the biggest immersion breakers for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOPOAGz-Ew
Ziggurat wrote: I hope that you will regain the features that has regressed since the las version though. This is not a demand list, but humble request. I wish that in a future update you will re-implement collision with the crowbar, and the laser sight. Something else I hope to see is calibration with graphical explenation, a la now hold the right wand in a certain way and press the something button. I also hope to see an out of game control panel with options that has explanations, example a checkbox for Oculus VR, and radio buttons for the different control schemes. And for the installer please add a check for if you have C++ Runtime files, and fetch those from Microsoft if not or even add them to the installer if thats legal. (Edit: Also I wish for SteamOS support because of awesome)
Glad you're enjoying it, I'll definitely be bringing back the crowbar flailing with the next release. As far as gui work in the source engine for calibration etc, I'd like to do that but it's not on the top of the list but I'll try to put together a more detailed guide with pictures. The vc++ runtime dependencies are so annoying, I'll see if I can easily detect that as well.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

That looks really sweet.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”