The Oculus Chair: Let's build it

MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

The Oculus Chair: Let's build it

Post by MrGreen »

I'm sure pretty much all of you have thought about it but wouldn't it be great to have body rotation tied to an office chair?

It should be a walk in the park for a lot of you DIYers right?

Or would it be even simpler to strap a Wiimote+ to your chest and track leaning for movement as well as rotation? Too much drift I guess?
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: The Oculus Chair: Let's build it

Post by BOLL »

Hmm, I guess it would work if it is entirely decoupled, so your view is fully controlled by the Rift but your direction comes from the chair. Interesting xD now I want to try it!

I guess strapping a laptop to the chair would eliminate cables getting twisted, it's just the question of powering the Rift then... what kind of power input does the control box have? O.o
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

MrGreen wrote:I'm sure pretty much all of you have thought about it .....
You KNOW how this is going to end right?
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

BOLL wrote:Hmm, I guess it would work if it is entirely decoupled, so your view is fully controlled by the Rift but your direction comes from the chair. Interesting xD now I want to try it!

I guess strapping a laptop to the chair would eliminate cables getting twisted, it's just the question of powering the Rift then... what kind of power input does the control box have? O.o
It's possible to have a 360° rotating cable though. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.ca/Degree-Rotating-Pl ... B00461FDF6
mahler wrote:
Kickstart that! :D
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

mahler wrote:
I was in one of those gimballed frame "rides" once. It was rapidly exhausting, especially when hanging inverted with blood rushing to your head. Even in a horizontal pose, it was not at all like flying. More like being "spread eagled" with ropes pulling on your limbs. It would work better in a gravity-free environment (but then you would not need it). Great VR prop for the movies. In real life, not so much.

Unlike the one pictured in the link, it had wrist and ankle straps (like for bungee jumping) to keep you from falling and smashing your face, and required a human operator.
Last edited by geekmaster on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

and think about putting smething like a wii balance board under your butt, thus controlling WASD movements by leaning forwar/backward or left/right, thus having both hands free :mrgreen:
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

crespo80 wrote:and think about putting smething like a wii balance board under your butt, thus controlling WASD movements by leaning forwar/backward or left/right, thus having both hands free :mrgreen:
Well I did think about it and while actually physically trying it on my chair I came to the conclusion that leaning your torso would be easier and feel better. :)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

crespo80 wrote:and think about putting smething like a wii balance board under your butt, thus controlling WASD movements by leaning forwar/backward or left/right, thus having both hands free :mrgreen:
Like riding a bike with no hands. ;)
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

This Chair, combined with some pressure sensitive VR boots (for x y axis character movement and jumping) could be the average lazy guy's unversal solution for moving in virtual worlds! Love the idea :P
German

Post by German »

MrGreen wrote:Well I did think about it and while actually physically trying it on my chair I came to the conclusion that leaning your torso would be easier and feel better. :)
Leaning your torso quickly fails once you have positional tracking on the Rift. It makes more sense to me to just have pedals or footswitches you press to do various movement related things.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

German wrote:
MrGreen wrote:Well I did think about it and while actually physically trying it on my chair I came to the conclusion that leaning your torso would be easier and feel better. :)
Leaning your torso quickly fails once you have positional tracking on the Rift. It makes more sense to me to just have pedals or footswitches you press to do various movement related things.
Agreed. Someone here posted about a project like that a while ago. Don't remember where though. It was a Kickstarter like site for science projects or something.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Been thinking about a chair as well that would particularly be of use with the hydra and maybe body motion tracking. If a game support 1:1 tracking of the hydra, then likely the first thing someone would need to get rid of is that arm rests. If there's also body motion tracking, then we would probably want to get rid of the backrest as well. Being able to rotate comes with its own slew of problems (especially since both the Rift, and the Hydra is tethered), so that would be a bit of a challenge at this point. So probably stick with a comfy stool (low enough to put your feet on the ground) or a kneeling chair. In order to not bump my hands into the hydra base, I'm hoping I can place it behind me on something like a TV dinner tray keeping the area in front free of obstructions. For body tracking, could either use a wiimote, or the tracker from the hydra strapped to your body.
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

I've been considering a chair a lot recently it's too bad I'm not gifted at building that sort of thing. What I was thinking is a 45° Chair or better yet have the whole thing tilt between 20° and 70°. Add mechanical sensors to each shoulder to turn the body in game then to simulate walking have a pressure sensitive pad on the seat or as someone mentioned in another thread 'buttcontrol' for walking.

Otherwise I was considering some sort of roller shoes sort of like using old school ball mice yet smaller, more numerous, sturdier and couple that with a stepper so that when you step the 'ground' has some give to it. The pedals would need to be swapped with something wider and flatter so you can still strafe but I think that might work
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

One thing that is interesting about a chair, is that you could simulate 6DOF positional tracking using only 2 IMUs. You need one placed on your head and one strapped to your chest. Then you can have a simple skeletal rig in the engine (similar to what Carmack did in Doom3) which would infer the position based on simulated neck and chest bones. Assuming you did not move the chair, and you stayed seated at all times, I think it would work very well. Something to think about.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

I would LOVE to combine the Rift with something like this for racing and flying sims!!! These are both modified versions of the acesim Joyrider. http://www.acesim.com/main.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPcZLF5X2kg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1y2p53hjxk[/youtube]
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

MrGreen wrote:It's possible to have a 360° rotating cable though. Something like this:
Are these supposed to support more than one 360° turn ?
MSat

Post by MSat »

Fredz wrote:
MrGreen wrote:It's possible to have a 360° rotating cable though. Something like this:
Are these supposed to support more than one 360° turn ?

I'd say no. Looking at a larger image of the ends shows that there are little stoppers that wouldn't even allow it to rotate 180 degrees. I guess if it rotates 180 degrees in one axis, and 180 in another, that's still 360, right? :P
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Still 360° yes. But I would have liked something that you could use to plug the cable of the Rift in the tube of a swivel chair and plug the chair to the PC. Even better if it would have been possible to add a sensor to the axis of the chair to directly provide rotation in the game in place of a joypad.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Fredz wrote:Still 360° yes. But I would have liked something that you could use to plug the cable of the Rift in the tube of a swivel chair and plug the chair to the PC. Even better if it would have been possible to add a sensor to the axis of the chair to directly provide rotation in the game in place of a joypad.
Yeah that's my idea. Only problem is that I have no effing clue how to do it.
MSat

Post by MSat »

The "easiest" way to do that would probably be to use slip rings for transferring power, and then attach all the computer hardware to the chair. Though I have to wonder how fun spinning around in a chair would actually be. It takes a lot more effort and is slower than if you were standing, not to mention using a thumbstick on a gamepad.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

MSat wrote:The "easiest" way to do that would probably be to use slip rings for transferring power, and then attach all the computer hardware to the chair. Though I have to wonder how fun spinning around in a chair would actually be. It takes a lot more effort and is slower than if you were standing, not to mention using a thumbstick on a gamepad.
After a brief test, I don't think spinning in a chair is a great way to go. You are right, it is a lot of effort, its slow, you have to stop yourself, which can easily get tiring if you are doing something active. Nor do I feel like it would help with immersion. While it may be hands-free, its not even close to how you normally turn, and the sheer effort of it means it would be hard for it to be an automatic process. When controlling something with a controller, you don't really have to think about it, and can become much more natural than trying to spin your chair. I truly think a controller will be more immersive simply because you can forget you are using it. Standing and turning could be immersive because it is a natural motion, though people may have a tendency to drift. Sitting in a chair and spinning doesn't seem like it would be immersive.
MSat

Post by MSat »

^^ Agreed. If anything, something like this would be a lot less tiresome, while still freeing your hands to some extent (though you still need some kind of controller to interact with the world).
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

maybe a chair it's the answer maybe a padded rail to keep you in is.
MSat

Post by MSat »

I still think a fixed harness platform plus a low friction "floor" like the WizDish could offer much of the sensation of walking and turning without actually moving anywhere or anything other than your legs. This would also eliminate any concerns of tangling wires.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

hard to support or get into a true harness that lifts you a bit tho.
MSat

Post by MSat »

I was thinking it could allow for some level of vertical motion (perhaps spring loaded), so that your legs still support most of your weight. If you slip, it shouldn't let you go low enough to where you would even hit you knees. I don't know how well this would actually work out in real life, but it seems like a good idea in my brain. heh
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Some ideas:

A a lightweight bucket racing seat http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?l ... =Series41V (seat cover is sold extra)

A powerful servo motor + controller, which is triggered by the user, and integrated into the stand (to change the direction ingame)

A foot rest which turns with the seat, and a pedal like input method for WASD controls for the ingame character, most precise are Loadcells to mesure the input.

All wired up to a Arduino board to interface with a PC

Then, maybe a bar between your knees to support a LEAP motion device for hand controls.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Ruggles Orientator, ca 1926:

Of course these days you could replace the operator with a computer. And replace the optional hood (for instrument-only flight) with a Rift, of course. :D
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Made my day :lol:
MSat

Post by MSat »

Hopefully they check the headroom before spinning the user around :lol:
I'm guessing that was around the time when they invented seat belts.
langmyersknow
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by langmyersknow »

What do you guys think of using an elliptical as a walking device.. something like this guy has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdYrFY01pGY

I think he's russian , but his setup seems pretty sweet.

From what I can gather, and what Cyberreality has said, he uses the forward peddaling to move forward, backpeddaling to move back, and uses his gun to aim and look.. His headset probably doesn't have head tracking. HOwever, his shoulders seem to have positional tracking because he can straff left and right....

In some other videos, I've seen him use his left leg, to kick enemies in bullet storm, so I don't know how he's doing that. And in his gameplay video of him playing Metro 2033, he uses his left hand in the air to grab items... don't know how that works...

Also, he can crouch, and jump too...
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

For forward and backward movement it seems quite good, but not beeing able to emulate WASD completely with your feet, could break immersion. Especially if forwards and backwards is emulated quite well physically. The change of direction pointing your character is another thing. I'd prefer no physical exercise at all if WASD + direction don't work.
Okta

Post by Okta »

For a chair i think the best solution would be a simple light weight low stool that gives you plenty of foot control and has little inertial impact. In fact a stool on wheels could allow you to have some sensors on the wheels to detect movement so you could have some small WASD room or absolute positional tracking.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

For long term gaming maybe a chair like this would be a better option..

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furniture-W ... ture+chair

or

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furniture-W ... ture+chair

It seems like it would be better for posture, turning and keeping a level FOV.
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

I copied my recent post from the VR research section:

The idea i have is based on a Kneeling like ergonomic computer chair for about 32€

http://www.amazon.de/Computer-Kniestuhl ... cr_pr_pb_i

You'd need to mount it to a surface and add a pedal on each side for your feet to slip in. The pedal control mechanism is based on a sort of jogwheel, similar to what DJ's use for digital scratching.

This part of the controller is used to change the direction ingame, by pressing down the pedal with your heel and making contact with the jogwheel and using the movement capabilities of your foot ankle, having contact you move your foot to the side to turn the character ingame, or push the jowheel into a direction and lifting/stopping it again, to perform bigger and precise turns.

For the other foot a pedal for WASD movement, again using the natural movement capabilities which is moving to the sides and up and down, maybe based on a sort of omnidirectional ball bearing. This part isn't very clear yet.

The advantage of the kneeling chair approach is the freedom of movenent of the upper body for aiming and doing stuff with your hands, the ergonomic seating position and low cost compared to a good computer chair. The joghwheel, once you get the feeling for pushing down and lifting the pedal on it, could be superior to what mouse users can do. Combined with a good pedal for WASD, and the autonomous aiming and headtracking with the other stuff, it could be a killer combo!
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

STRZ wrote:I copied my recent post from the VR research section:

The idea i have is based on a Kneeling like ergonomic computer chair for about 32€

http://www.amazon.de/Computer-Kniestuhl ... cr_pr_pb_i

You'd need to mount it to a surface and add a pedal on each side for your feet to slip in. The pedal control mechanism is based on a sort of jogwheel, similar to what DJ's use for digital scratching.

This part of the controller is used to change the direction ingame, by pressing down the pedal with your heel and making contact with the jogwheel and using the movement capabilities of your foot ankle, having contact you move your foot to the side to turn the character ingame, or push the jowheel into a direction and lifting/stopping it again, to perform bigger and precise turns.

For the other foot a pedal for WASD movement, again using the natural movement capabilities which is moving to the sides and up and down, maybe based on a sort of omnidirectional ball bearing. This part isn't very clear yet.

The advantage of the kneeling chair approach is the freedom of movenent of the upper body for aiming and doing stuff with your hands, the ergonomic seating position and low cost compared to a good computer chair. The joghwheel, once you get the feeling for pushing down and lifting the pedal on it, could be superior to what mouse users can do. Combined with a good pedal for WASD, and the autonomous aiming and headtracking with the other stuff, it could be a killer combo!

I think we got it...That would work really well....Maybe a rubberized disc pushing two feet forward on the discs to go forward! You should maybe do some sketches.
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

MrGreen wrote:I'm sure pretty much all of you have thought about it but wouldn't it be great to have body rotation tied to an office chair?

Or would it be even simpler to strap a Wiimote+ to your chest and track leaning for movement as well as rotation? Too much drift I guess?
Ive thought of something like this. In combination with Hawken it could be
something really serious.
A Joystick between your legs controls the rotation direction of the chair and
the direction of your virtual Mech. :woot Head tracking and head control for Hawken will be independent from steering your mech. So it could be a really immersive experience.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Maybe A trolling boat motor controller...These already are widely used and used for boat movement controls...

Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

colocolo wrote:
MrGreen wrote:I'm sure pretty much all of you have thought about it but wouldn't it be great to have body rotation tied to an office chair?

Ive thought of something like this. In combination with Hawken it could be
something really serious.
A Joystick between your legs controls the rotation direction of the chair and
the direction of your virtual Mech. :woot Head tracking and head control for Hawken will be independent from steering your mech. So it could be a really immersive experience.
like a cockpit?:) That would be good!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

@ squibbfire

Well, the disc or joghweel is meant to be controlled with one foot only, and only to turn the character ingame, emulating moving a mouse to the side on a mousepad. I think it's best done through a pedal to keep your foot in the right position and relaxed. Pushing down the pedal makes contact with the surface of the disc, and by moving your foot through your foot ankle you turn it, or can push it so that it turns by itself (and your character) until you stop it by making contact with the disc again.

The other foot controls WASD, forward, backwards and sideways. Then you need a mechanism for jumping and you're done.

I'll make a sketch to show what i mean.

Edit:

Return to “Oculus VR”