Couple of questions about the August launch

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
TeraBit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Couple of questions about the August launch

Post by TeraBit »

Hi Ethan,

Could you tell us if TDVision is going to be setting up an online shopfront for the August launch of the TDVisor? Or will it still be a case of registering an interest then making individual arrangements to pay etc. (Along with the 4 - 6 weeks lead time)

Also are any European resellers planned or will the purchase path be global?

Looking forward to August :wink:
mattias.online
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mattias.online »

I hope those asking for European resellers know that it usually means paying more. With some other products it also means we're not allowed to order directly from the US since our "market" is reserved for the European resellers. I much prefer bypassing as many as possible in the economic food-chain.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

do you think it's cheaper to order directly from the US and pay their VAT and european (or German) VAT afterwards, too?

In Germany VAT is 19%! If you combine it with shiping its almost as expencive as the unit itself :-(
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
A.J.
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by A.J. »

Don't forget you have to pay customs tariffs too. Whether it's cheaper to buy directly from US usually depends on the shipping costs. I don't think it would be any cheaper to have european resellers but buying would faster and easier.
mattias.online
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mattias.online »

deleted
Last edited by mattias.online on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeraBit
Two Eyed Hopeful

So..

Post by TeraBit »

I suppose whatever the merits of each are, I wanted to know what TDVision have planned. It would be nice to simply be able to buy direct via a web shop from TDVision and have a decent delivery system that doesn't cost the earth (they aren't as heavy as monitors after all!).
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

August release?

Post by stee1hed »

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm usually up on TDVision stuff. Where is this announcement of an August release of something?
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

TeraBit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TeraBit »

Did my original questions get answered somewhere? :wink:
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

There has been no news about the release details that I know of.
TeraBit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TeraBit »

Hmmm, wonder when in August things are going to start around here 8)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

TeraBit wrote:Hmmm, wonder when in August things are going to start around here 8)
I believe that the TDVisor was originally coming out in the middle of 2006 if I remember correctly. They are selling prototypes, so its obviously not vaporware. However the launch has been delayed many times in the past 2 years so I sort of stopped holding my breath at some point (I've been following their progress since the very beginning). It appears things are very close to becoming reality, but don't be surprised if the ship date slips a bit more.
Damian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damian »

Yes I've been watching over the years too, although August was the first month I'd heard officially mentioned (before this the estimates were fairly vague).
I'd emailed them previously asking about release dates, and it's true most of the predicted estimates were missed, but they were predicting a far distance into the future, not saying, it's coming out the month after this one (as they are doing now). So I have faith in the prediction and it will be soon, I hope!

Failing that there is the mysterious footnote from Stee1hed in the other thread:
TDVision gave me some very exciting news about something coming out in August, this is not the production commercial product news they previously released.
It would be nice if the OP questions were addressed now though...
Could you tell us if TDVision is going to be setting up an online shopfront for the August launch of the TDVisor? Or will it still be a case of registering an interest then making individual arrangements to pay etc. (Along with the 4 - 6 weeks lead time)

Also are any European resellers planned or will the purchase path be global?
I'd always thought it was strange the way you could pre-order, or buy the original pre-production version 800x600 model. The 'pre-order' page wasn't listed anywhere on the site, in fact the site was completely useless for that type of information! It was only after emailing them asking questions that I was redirected to the pre-order page. (for those of you thinking I just couldn't find it... It was added in recent times. Back before I was linked to the page, I'd been through every inch of every page on tdvision.com and tdvisionsystems.com. It wasn't there. Take my word for it!)

The pre-order page itself wasn't very helpful either... It didn't mention conditions like, if the pre-order was International or only for US. They said they would phone to confirm interest, which made me even more uncertain about this. So I didn't pre-order at the time, despite the fact I'd be prepared to pay what they are asking for the HD version.
And now they've linked it... Well they link the page but after all this time it's out of date. They couldn't check it to make sure it all still applied? (I'm referring to the "TDVDemoSuite" as a pre-order product. I don't know what it is but it says it costs $950 so it must be really good!...But I can't afford that... But that's ok I get it for free [as I read on]! If I order before July 1st 2007. Uh?)
TeraBit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TeraBit »

Yes, that's one of the things that has worried me, since apart from the odd news item on the main screen, the website is decidedly out of date :shock:

They'd probably sell a shed load of these things if they got the infrastructure right! :?

Anyhow, we'll see how August goes I suppose 8)
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

If you look at their site the one part they do keep kinda updated is the 'latest news' area on the left side of the home page. The latest entries dealing with a new TDVision site near Los Angeles and their blue ray encoding method which allows user to view 2D and 3D on the same disc. I can only assume they are hitting the entertainment/movie companies hard with this tech. I've been in contact with someone at TDVision helping me out with my TDVisor, it needed a couple more ceiling/floor adjustments with my Matrox DualHead2Go and asked him the same questions as in the forum here. He says he is waiting for the answers from the top, this was a couple weeks ago. (My tech support guy there is awesome btw.)

So it looks like to me that some of the team is on the road a lot giving demos and presentations, unfortunately they are the part of the team that interacts with the public, like us!

I am only guessing, I do not know for sure. Anyway, I would tend to agree with cybereality that there is a non-ignorable chance that there will be a delay given their history.

I know someone there is reading these forums because when I received my TDVisor back after they had tweaked it the sewing job on the ski strap was redone and very nice! :D :D :D

<Neil type teaser>
The news I was told has something to do with the TDVisor having the ability to be used on more systems than currently capable with no extra hardware...
</Neil type teaser>
Neil

Post by Neil »

If you want a tease...go to MTBS' main page.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

Actually, not a tease. The real thing.
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

Sounds great! MTBS and S3D getting some ins with the big players! :D :D :D
Neil wrote:Perhaps another MTBS announcement will be made at this event?
Sounds like a tease to me!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Well, I gotta be me! :twisted:

Regards,
Neil
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Bah!!! You had me all excited for some big announcement. I wish some of these conferences were driving distance for me, would love to come. Alas.

Here at MTBS3D we require results not teases :wink:
Neil

Post by Neil »

You think I am flying from Toronto to LA for nothing?!? :wink:

Regards,
Neil

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”