Cross Eyed!

Re: Announcement: VorpX - Rift 3D Driver

Post by lmimmfn »

Glad that this is sorted
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Great news! I'm glad it turned this way!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
raijinspecial
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raijinspecial »

Glad to hear it! Now, any news on when we can try it?
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

[edited:] Glad to hear things are working out! (sorry didnt see the news till now) hope it comes out soon! i am glad to hear that too as the more word gets out about the driver i think the more people will use it! and maybe find interest in the rift!
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

I'm also happy to hear this episode is in the past.
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

YAAAAAAAY!

Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
Virgman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Virgman »

Really great news. Now all I need is a release date so I can drop some more $$$. Can't wait to ride some skylines around Columbia!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This a refreshing end to a dark chapter in MTBS history. Just glad it is now history.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

Finally!
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Never made sense to begin with here's why,

This is a forum, it's success depends on people coming here to post. VorpX was driving people here with new information (It was mentioned constantly on rift video comments).

VorpX now has forums, which came out after all this, that's why there's an agreement because MTBS forgot people will just go to that forum for information if they can't get it here.

This had nothing to do with anything other then MTBS trying to strong arm a poster and back peddled after being outmaneuvered.

It's stereotypical forum behavior, and all you'll hear about it is "everything is fine, we worked it out". Both sides won't be transparent since it was turned into a pseudo-business deal.

MTBS should be happy people are being drawn here for products they don't even have to fund or develop, it's literally free advertising for the forum.

I'm extremely dubious about linking to this site when my scripting archive site goes up, might be seen as me trying to swindle MTBS out of money or whatever the deal even was.
RED
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RED »

Direlight wrote:.. or whatever the deal even was.
This would be a better post, perhaps.. once you've figured out what the deal was.

Anyway.. back to a positive note. Was around when it happened, but don't care what happened.. :) Good news on the MTBS3D/Vorpx handshake!
TemporalDrift
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TemporalDrift »

It's water under the bridge folks.

Bring on VorpX!
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Yes, now we can all focus on complaining that it's taking too long!
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

The longer it takes the less it'll be needed by some people. I only want specific games to work with OR and the devs I'm interested in have kits (or on the way) and will be releasing official updates. Once this happens I wont need VorpX.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Pingles wrote:Yes, now we can all focus on complaining that it's taking too long!
Hear, hear!
torc
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by torc »

Guys i have a question (very noob question)
I'm one of the devs (the sound effects guy) of Diaspora, an Battlestar galactica mod for Freespace2.

AFAIK the game engine runs with OpenGL: do VorpX supports this game too?
FYI and if this can help i tested it with NTHUSIM and it works good and smooth.

Thanks for your help :)
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Direlight wrote:Never made sense to begin with here's why,

This is a forum, it's success depends on people coming here to post. VorpX was driving people here with new information (It was mentioned constantly on rift video comments).

VorpX now has forums, which came out after all this, that's why there's an agreement because MTBS forgot people will just go to that forum for information if they can't get it here.

This had nothing to do with anything other then MTBS trying to strong arm a poster and back peddled after being outmaneuvered.

It's stereotypical forum behavior, and all you'll hear about it is "everything is fine, we worked it out". Both sides won't be transparent since it was turned into a pseudo-business deal.

MTBS should be happy people are being drawn here for products they don't even have to fund or develop, it's literally free advertising for the forum.

I'm extremely dubious about linking to this site when my scripting archive site goes up, might be seen as me trying to swindle MTBS out of money or whatever the deal even was.

There is no truth to this at all. Resolving this had nothing to do with money or even a dispute over money or MTBS' wish to strong-arm anyone. The core issue was a small portion of a private conversation was paraphrased and published, and like wildfire it created false connotations about MTBS and the way we do business.

While I wanted to jointly delete the related threads to bring things back to normal, Ralf has certain beliefs about maintaining Internet history - so that option was a no-go. It took longer than either of us wanted, but we finally reached the solution of having a positive comment that underscores that what was published was just one of several ideas (not a single "pay us X% of your earnings or else" option that people had falsely believed about MTBS). The result is both our business reputations are rightfully restored and people can again post away in friendly terms. Even now, Ralf and I are talking. What was perceived in public, and what amicably happened in private are different things.

This scenario was a first for both of us, it required difficult choices on both sides, and I'm very happy to see that it has been resolved to both our satisfaction. If you do need a good reference of people who successfully work with MTBS, look at Oculus, Virtuix Omni, Cloudhead Games, and more. I'm confident you will find little evidence of us strong-arming anyone or driving companies to bankruptcy.

Regards,
Neil
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

just hope you release it sometime in the next year.....seriously you said VorpX should be out shortly after dev kits start shipping its been over two months and you had your kit for over a month now so.. and the beta videos /articles that some have got to try out have been great so far. But like many have said it would be nice if you release the beta now to those who wish to pay early!

anyways that is just my personal opinion

and at least you can release a updated game list would be nice as games like Tera were shown to be working as well as world of warcraft. Thank you.
MaterialDefender

Post by MaterialDefender »

Guys, please. While I wouldn't sign everything that Neil said one post above, the important thing is we settled this. And as far as I'm concerned that means 'silence is golden' in this regard. Which is my understanding of what to do after issueing a statement that is supposed to settle something.

As said earlier, both Neil and I would be very happy if this discussion would come to an end. There are more important matters at hand that deserve our attention.

@evenios: I know that you are little bit imaptiant, and there is nothing wrong with that. On the contrary: I'm happy that you and many others seem to be so excited. Rest assured that having something ready for you as soon as possible has high priority.
Last edited by MaterialDefender on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

MaterialDefender wrote:I'm happy that you and many others seem to be so excited. Rest assured that having something ready for you as soon as possible has high priority.
We are very excited around here. At the same time we very much appreciate that your are so committed to delivering a quality product. If the preview videos are any indication it will be well worth the wait.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Evenios wrote:it would be nice if you release the beta now to those who wish to pay early!
+1

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

In the videos there is more of a tunnel vision look than what I see in Oculus Rift demos, will that be fixed, or is that just how it must be ?
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

It will be fixed.
yautjacetanu
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yautjacetanu »

I don't know if this helps but at the time, I felt the secrecy and the closing of threads was the main problem. I'm also with Ralph on maintaining internet history cause its really weird when you're trying to be part of a community, you know something happened, know everyone else knows but can't say anything.

Personally even though I tracked down vorpx.com and tried to get there as fast as possible I never once felt that Ralph's version of the story was accurate. Your commercial things are clear, they seem very fair and it sounded like a miscommunication. (Ralph is really not that clear a communicator so it seemed perfectly reasonable to assume that Ralph got upset and overstated what was going on). However, when you started locking all threads that mentioned it, that didn't feel nice. I used to be into forums quite a bit when I was a teenager, MTBS was the first forum I got into recently and was really happy here and after this I've pretty much given up on all forums again except lurking.
I'm confident you will find little evidence of us strong-arming anyone or driving companies to bankruptcy
The point I'm trying to say is I don't think anyone ever really thought you were trying to do that. Even if they said it, most of the time it was more of a rhetorical device rather then actually believing you were trying to do that. At least at first. I don't think the fact that you are a major reason the occulus rift is here is unnoticed as you were heavily responsible for enabling a fantastic creative community that allowed Carmac and Palmer to hook up. Also the rules about commercial entities seemed incredibly instrumental in allowing this kind of creativity. So personally I think you're great, and its a shame you probably won't be remembered in history as much as carmack and Palmer when VR changes everything in gaming.

Personally I work with software a bit and particularly interested in online communities and have studied their positive impacts on aging and citizenship a bit for a masters. So its intriguing because I almost think as long as someone in a community has larger powers then someone else, at some point they will misuse them even if its accidently. Such that I almost think software needs to be built in such a way that this isn't possible.... anyways I'm rambling and things are much more complicated then that.

I'm glad this has been resolved. This must have been quite a difficult time for you personally going from managing a tiny community of enthusiasts to managing a huge volume of people and public eye. Well done for getting everything sorted. I remember having to do something similar with one of my communities, taking a post down, getting things sorted in private, etc. It was an incredibly difficult time and it ended with causing irrevocable harm to one member of the community which was sad but had to happen (especially because my forum was largely about specifically looking after people)
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

yautjacetanu wrote:I don't know if this helps
it doesn't really help because it just brings it all back up again when everyone seems to have moved on..and rightly so
usb247
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by usb247 »

yes it's been sorted out I assume with some kind of money transfer? but how can we feel there is any honesty in Vorpx discussion now?
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

usb247 wrote:yes it's been sorted out I assume with some kind of money transfer? but how can we feel there is any honesty in Vorpx discussion now?
I have no idea what you mean :?

But surely now things are resolved this thread should just concentrate on talking at VorpX as a product..

Personally I'm only after it for a few games and if those games get official support before VorpX gets released I wont need to buy it. I have a feeling pCARS will get rift fairly soon and War Thunder area has official support so that's 2 down already :)

Maybe it would be nice to see something of the UI for it to give us an idea of how it will look.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Guys, next time you bump this thread up, WOULD YOU MAKE SURE THE DRIVER IS RELEASED!? :lol:
miFFhoe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miFFhoe »

Hey materialdefender! What about support for FS2004? I know fsx is supported but getting 60fps in the NGX is preeeetty whop'n hard so it would be awesome to be able to fall back to 2004!
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

Any word on progress of VorpX? I did some looking around, and haven't seen any recent information about release dates or anything.
Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Chants: *Lets go Vorpx LETS GO!!* :shutter
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

this silence is maybe because ralph try to sell vorpx to oculus.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

This would contradict the "Games must be made for VR" attitude from Oculus.
Aside from that it wouldn't make much sense for him to give out beta versions for reviews while trying to sell it.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

The silence on this driver could only mean a few things:

1. Ralf died

2. Ralf has given up on the project

3. Ralf is talking with Oculus about a buyout

4. Ralf forgot to pay his internet bill

5. Ralf got pissed off at all of the "When is this going to be released" and decided to answer nothing from here on out until it was complete

Does anyone know answers to the above? Hopefully something that can confirm things factually instead of just hypothesizing about what has happened. For the longest time he was very active in the community and on his own website. Now he seems to be just "gone". Very odd when you are trying to develop a driver, for profit, and create buzz behind that.

Could someone update us here on what they know? Any facts you can share.
MaterialDefender

Post by MaterialDefender »

I think I know someone who knows someone who might have heard someone talking about someone who knows the answer.

Seriously: Things are just taking a little bit more time. Partly due some newly added features, partly due to some other work that needs my attention. I don't intend to die anytime soon. ;)
miFFhoe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miFFhoe »

MaterialDefender wrote:I think I know someone who knows someone who might have heard someone talking about someone who knows the answer.

Seriously: Things are just taking a little bit more time. Partly due some newly added features, partly due to some other work that needs my attention. I don't intend to die anytime soon. ;)
Will it be released this month? ^^
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

MaterialDefender wrote:I think I know someone who knows someone who might have heard someone talking about someone who knows the answer.

Why do you choose to communicate this here, rather than, y'know, on your official website and blog?

Just sayin'

:D
Tankshell
Software Developer & Founder of Handheld Pixels
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

Is it possible to get an updated supported games listing? The Steam summer sale is about to start and I want to make sure I stock up :)
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

I bet it will get release with the retail version of the rift......

.*snickers...*snickers...
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/

Return to “General Discussion”