More efficient content creation using VR?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

More efficient content creation using VR?

Post by MSat »

With development costs of some AAA game titles reaching upwards of $100 million, it would seem there is a greater need than ever to make development more efficient, especially if graphics are expected to continually improve. For some things, such as 3D modelling and level creation, I can imagine that doing so in VR could vastly increase the efficiency of these tasks. Why create a level for a game using a 2D monitor, keyboard and mouse when you could actually be in the world using gestures (or hydra-like joystick controls) and perhaps voice commands? What about forming and texturing 3D models in VR with your bare hands, similar to how one works with clay? While graphics have made significant progress in the past 20 years, the tools used to make the games have not. I imagine VR can do a lot to change that. What are your thoughts?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: More efficient content creation using VR?

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I think this would be really cool. Especially if it were networked, and you could have a team of artists working on a single room/area all at once (some modelling, some texturing, etc.). The tools people are using today are from the stone age (mouse/keyboard) and cause so much problems because they are only 2D. There are some devices that help with this, like the space-mouse, but they are not as popular as they should be. We need full 3D 6DOF input devices if we want to be efficient in 3D modelling. This would save a lot of time and probably end up with better results.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Networked collaboration never even crossed my mind, but that sounds like a pretty cool idea! It could be immensely beneficial for remote teams, and allow people to work from home across the globe. It really seems like a good way to get work done.

While I haven't dabbled in level creation since the late 90s, from what I can tell, it's really not all that different now as it has been back then. Sure, there probably have been some improvements in terms of making it more efficient for developers, but it doesn't seem like anything substantial to make up for the sheer amount of detail we see in modern games.

I have a feeling it will happen eventually, and when it does, I wouldn't mind trying my (virtual) hand at it :)
DeeKej
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DeeKej »

In good enough VR you would be able to shape your own workspace to be whatever you'd want it to be, maximizing the effectiveness of your work. Add to that, as cybereality suggests, network capabilities and the possibilities are endless. Someday, we could literally do whatever we can think of, using hand gestures, voice commands and thoughts to create and communicate.

I for one can't wait for those days. :)

Also, I'm no longer just a lurker here, yay!
DeeKej
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DeeKej »

But even without having ALL that cool technology, using an HMD with good tracking and good enough readability of hand gestures would open up all sorts of doors when it comes to creating at least 3D models. Given that it'd be something people actually could afford and good enough software, I don't see why it wouldn't be the step needed for people to start using it.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Hey, welcome to the forum!
MarshawnMan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MarshawnMan »

I defintley think that AR/VR will enable users to make even better content! By actually getting a better feel for the environment of whatever theyre project is always helps! And virtual Reality...BOOM right in your face... cant go wrong! Great Thread!
Nobody can officially see me in NBA 2k13!! Martian Goggles on deck!!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”