Hmd with 3 screens

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Postipate
One Eyed Hopeful

Hmd with 3 screens

Post by Postipate »

I usually play racing simulator games and I think head mounted display would be great. Oculus is nice idea, but low resolution with so big fov sounds quite bad for me.

So I started thing if i could make 3 screen hmd. Side screens would be rotated and everything would be in 2d.

But is this really possible? How far the screen should be, that it would not start to hurt my eye or can I use some lens (frenel lens perhaps)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVI-VGA-Control ... 27cd54063f

I was thinking screen like this. I could try also in portait. Resolution would be 2400x1280.

(Posted to wrong section... Could mod change it please.)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Hmd with 3 screens

Post by cybereality »

This section is fine.

I think using 3x 10" screens in an HMD would be pushing past the limit of what you could comfortably have on your head. I guess it could work if it were fixed on a boom, or had a stand like the VirtualBoy. Though then you would lose the option of using head-tracking like with a free-standing setup.

If you are going for 2D, you can also add in fresnel lenses to enhance the immersion, they are relatively cheap and add a lot to the experience. Another benefit of the 2D is that you could use things like Eyefinity or Surround that support a good number of games already.
Postipate
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Hmd with 3 screens

Post by Postipate »

cybereality wrote:This section is fine.

I think using 3x 10" screens in an HMD would be pushing past the limit of what you could comfortably have on your head. I guess it could work if it were fixed on a boom, or had a stand like the VirtualBoy. Though then you would lose the option of using head-tracking like with a free-standing setup.

If you are going for 2D, you can also add in fresnel lenses to enhance the immersion, they are relatively cheap and add a lot to the experience. Another benefit of the 2D is that you could use things like Eyefinity or Surround that support a good number of games already.
Weight can be big problem. Budget for screen is ~300, so i could use 7 inch screens. But I think i would have same problem with it too.

Could I use 2 screens and then one fresnel lens in 2d?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”