VRMMOPGs: Is Oculus Rift enough?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
TheProdigy
One Eyed Hopeful

VRMMOPGs: Is Oculus Rift enough?

Post by TheProdigy »

I actually ment to post this in the Oculus rift section. But here seems fine too :). If a mod can move it for me that would be appreciated. But if it ok ;)

Ive always been waiting for a time when i could go in a first person virtual world with other people.

Imagine this:

A VRMMOPG where it tracks head movement, minor facial features, and real time 3D chatting so you can hear people talking to each other from all around you.

So when your walking down the streets of some city, you actually SEE people turning their heads as you walk past them and checking out your bad ass armor. You can see people real life expressions (To a certain extent). And when your walking down some busy area in a game, you can hear voices of people coming from all around you combined with ingame ambient background noises (birds,wind, etc)...

Im sure ill see a world like this eventually, seeing as how im still young. But always prefer sooner than later ;)

Do you personally think the Oculus rift will be enough of a hit to be able to start this up?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: VRMMOPGs: Is Oculus Rift enough?

Post by cybereality »

I would love to see this too. Not sure it will happen immediately, but if the Rift sells well we will move in that direction.
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoadKillGrill »

Have to wonder how to track facial features with half of them occluded by a giant box on your head :P
logicalChimp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by logicalChimp »

electro skin sensors in the edge of the mask?

As with a lot of vrmmo type ideas (especially those like Sword Art Online) is the sheer amount of bandwidth required - especially on the server side. For example, you couldn't downmix all the different sounds into a single stream, because then they couldn't be placed in 3D. To a lesser extent, latency will also be a problem (especially in trying to coordinate facial expressions / lip sync with the audio)

Still, I hope they get it cracked soon(ish) - I wanna try it myself before my brain gets too pickled :D
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

Sword-fighting robots for tactile feedback. Venue; the Jedi.
Perfect stepping-stone for building the surgeon robot! Don't impale the humans!

A king-size treadmill with an arduino in its guts. Venue; anybody with good insurance, since treadmills can be quick!
Vicariously satisfy your strange need to step into the game, or out, quickly. Add a rotating axle and become the Silver Surfer! :D

In-game smithing actually results in 3D models, with clay simulation and computed sound feedback. All you need is an app and a wrist strap! (Think of the merchandising! The voice coils!)

You are probably going to need a cockpit from now on. Every VR app might not be able to recognize the clutter on your table, but perhaps some kind of modular arrangement can be made.
You will be able to tell an NPC from a PC by looking them in the eye. Let that sink in for a moment. :woot
TheProdigy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheProdigy »

logicalChimp wrote:electro skin sensors in the edge of the mask?

As with a lot of vrmmo type ideas (especially those like Sword Art Online) is the sheer amount of bandwidth required - especially on the server side. For example, you couldn't downmix all the different sounds into a single stream, because then they couldn't be placed in 3D. To a lesser extent, latency will also be a problem (especially in trying to coordinate facial expressions / lip sync with the audio)

Still, I hope they get it cracked soon(ish) - I wanna try it myself before my brain gets too pickled :D
Once fiber internet becomes wide spread.

Our internet speed will easily multiply by 10.

So that shouldnt be a problem then, or is there more to that?
Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

VR headset occludes the upper half of the face...

But the only really important data to be tracked are the eyes/brows - solution therefore is inward facing cameras to capture the expression of the eyes/brows.

The rest of it can be mostly captured via camera/point cloud based tech like the leap and kinect.

I think VRMMORPGs will come into viability in the latter half of this decade... and the demonstration of that tech (even in relatively limited forms) will pave way for practical VR massively online networked environments; essentially a marriage of the internet and VR/avatar technology, with great implications for telecommuting; and knock on effects for how work, education and even tourism will play out from that.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Zaptruder wrote:The rest of it can be mostly captured via camera/point cloud based tech like the leap and kinect.
You could do it with a basic, fairly low resolution camera. Facial data is a fairly well-studied area, tracking is robust and you don't need too many points to reconstruct most important features.
ChrisP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChrisP »

If I'm in a first person virtual world with other people then I want third person virtual feeling's so I can look attentive, focused and/or copasetic when needed like when some chick starts unwinding about her bad day but I'm really pooping my pants laughing. every one here knows what i mean hahaha

just have a little menu to select how you want to look and a few key's for quick emotions and that will be more then enough
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

There are quite a few demos online of how facial expressions are being captured and translated to an avatar face via the Microsoft Kinect. Pretty impressive.
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

I am a fan of Sword Art Online light novel. However, the current technology isn't there to create a world exactly like SAO. Nevertheless, I think the Oculus has some chance to create a compelling VRMMOPG. If Leap motion or some Wrist VR technology in development prove to be the ultimate body controller, then use your body to really fight with sword, cast spell in the VR world will be possible. It will open up a door for VRMMOPG.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”