Head Tracking Project, first time poster

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Head Tracking Project, first time poster

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Hello everyone. First time poster, but long time enthusiast. Very excited for my rift dev. kit to arrive in January..
In the meantime I put together a little VR setup and I'm pretty amazed at how well it works. Im not using an HMD
but a projector so the immersion will do for now until the rift arrives... Heres a link to a video I made of my setup,
let me know what you think ! This is one amazing time to be a gamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKsRHq3_cHE&feature=plcp
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Head Tracking Project, first time poster

Post by zalo »

That's really cool. I've had my fair share of headaches with FreeTrack so I'm glad that someone has gotten it to work nicely.

There should be some other games out there that support independent head and weapon motion with FreeTrack like Arma II I think, so your head and weapon aren't fighting for the viewport.

When you get the rift, you might want to disable the gun movement because it will be really disorienting when your whole vision moves with your gun. And of course the Rift tracker will take care of 1:1 head tracking.

Keep on keepin' on!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Very cool man. Thanks for posting the video.
Lookforyourhands

Thanks for checking it out !!
I will post more when I find the time.
Lookforyourhands

Spent the last few days working on a new gun for my VR setup and it's MUCH better in terms of comfort and accuracy.

Using the PS Move and Navigator controllers with a Gyration Air mouse for gun tracking.

Also using a 2nd giration mouse now for head tracking.

I ordered the Sony Hmz-t1 and it should be here in a week or two... Can't wait.

Gaming is so fun like this, I was playing Left for Dead 2 on my projector in 3d last
night and when I was going down some stairs my brain actually 'felt' like I was moving
for a second. I got that 'sinking feeling' in your stomach you get when you drop and the
muscles in my leg actually tensed up like bracing myself for the last step. It was really
weird and unexpected and the same sensation was repeatable just by going down
the stairs again. IDK maybe it's just me and I'm sensitive to these things but I think
it shows that the potential for VR gaming is going to be amazing and I can't think
about waiting for my HMD because I just get impatient ... :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lookforyourhands on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lookforyourhands

Though it maybe somewhat unrelated on a side note I found this video and wanted to share it.
Not sure if it has been posted somewhere here already so I didn't want to start a new thread just for the sake of it. Anyway it's about a contact lens/display that you wear and are able to see a image projected in front of it might be really cool for gaming and VR/AR applications.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/articl ... -realistic
Lookforyourhands

My Sony HMZ-T1 arrived this evening.
OH.
MY.
GOD. :woot

I am beside myself with how amazing this thing is. Yes, all the reports I read about it being uncomfortable as hell are true,
but I just put on a toque and its instantly better and I just finished gaming for a couple hours. I do plan on modding it for
comfort but I need to do more research to find the best one for me as I don't really want to take my new toy apart.

To reiterate I am using a trackclip pro and modified ps eye camera for headtracking in mouse emulation mode.
Also a ps navigator and ps move motion controller to map all buttons, with a ps sharp shooter gun and gyration air mouse for
gun tracking.

First thing I loaded up was Crysis 2. I was flabbergasted when I looked around. My brain kinda freaked out for a few seconds it was super disorienting but in a good way. My brain seriously thought I was there and I don't know how to describe it other than the strangest sensation in your body like you aren't really sitting there.. Yet you are. It actually reminded me of lucid dreaming like, almost just as real and vivid.

The picture looks great, especially the blacks. Holy cow. Now I finally understand what people have been saying all these years about black levels.. I never cared one bit, but I have a feeling this is going to change that.

Next I fired up mirrors edge and again I was blown away!! Standing next to the edge or a building and literally looking down is the trippiest thing ever. Sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach and everything.

The headtracking isn't perfect but it's pretty damn good, I can't even imagine how incredible the Rift is going to be..lol
Anyway, I have only played with it for a couple of hrs and I was just really too excited to try it out before modding it to be more comfortable, but yeah if anyone out there is hesitating and you have been gaming in 3d for a while I would definitely recommend it. Ill update the thread when I finish my mod. For now it's 3:54 am - back to gaming!!

Oh yeah and just wanted to mention convergence is very important to get the 3d effect right and I think lots of people forget about that. Happy gaming :) :woot
Lookforyourhands

Just wanted to update the thread with a video of my gaming setup now.

For demonstration purposes only :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nXg7l6Xj0N0
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

nice work matey.
i just got the HMZ-T2 and now have a new LOVE for gaming again.
been awhile since ive smiled ear to ear in regards to gaming and enjoyment.

Currently only have the xbox360 hooked up and have payed some FPS like Black Ops 2 and tested it in 3d stereo but was a bit out of focus and could not change settings to find the sweet spot, so will need a PC rig again to benifit that aspect.
But to be honest i almost threw up from after a few games at the start, the fast constant movement was all to much.
i think a slower moving game would be better to start me off.

anyways, love your setup there.
how much in costs to get a similar steup working?
are all the parts available online?
also have you now worked the Kinect into the setup, if so sweet.
have you tried it with Call of Duty or BF3 ?

cheers aye
waiting patiently......
Lookforyourhands

Hi. Glad to hear you are enjoying gaming again. The Sony HMD really is good once you spend some time making it more comfortable and finding the sweet spot. Takes some trial and error but don't give up! It's worth it. All parts to the setup I'm using are available online or in retail stores and very easy to find. I did get kinect working thanks to the help
of some members on this forum. Here's a demo video of it..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3R4e405oaY[/youtube]

The cost isn't too bad..
HMD -$700
Custom built PC $1500
Controllers - about $200
Ps move, navigator, wiimotes, and gyration mouse and ps sharpshooter gun to mount everything on.
Also using a GTX 680 which gives great performance.

I have played BF3 with this setup and it's amazing!! Zooming is so cool u
really do have to hold ur breath to line up shot perfectly it's very realistic.
Gaming is much more challenging this way but also 100 time more fun!
I have always liked taking my time with games and appreciating the art
and environments so VR couldn't suit me better. If you have any more
questions let me know ! Happy gaming.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”