First impressions of 3dVision + 2DOF Simxperience Motion Sim

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

First impressions of 3dVision + 2DOF Simxperience Motion Sim

Post by rowanunderwood »

First impressions of 3dVision + 2DOF SimXperience Motion Sim (based on Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 only so far)
Not really sure where to put this post, but it feels like VR when you're in it, so I'll put it here :) First some links.

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Pl9h1-vlk[/youtube-hd]

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sRChDX9uqo[/youtube-hd]

The two videos are there to provide an idea of what the experience is like from an over-the-shoulder perspective (where you obviously can't see the 3d effect), and a first person video to show what the 3d effect is like. I prefer the hood camera to the cockpit camera because I figure that the wheel in front of me kinda is the cockpit anyways :) I eventually plan to give this a shot with the Oculus Rift + head tracking as well.

For anybody that doesn't know, the idea of a 2DOF motion sim is to simulate the experience of gee-force and orientation by tilting the chair you're sitting in. The SimXperience setup is capable of 200 updates per second! This means they are able to simulate the lower frequencies of engine vibration through the chair as well. The chair is a kit you put together yourself, and they have a software suite used to capture the telemetry from the game as you play it. I believe their software is heavily based on the X-Sim software, with a graphical front end.

My initial impressions are that the 2DOF isn't that great at large gee-forces, because although you feel the steering wheel pushing on your hands when you brake, you don't have the accompanying feeling of deceleration in your chest. Smaller changes in acceleration are picked up really well though, such as the slight jolts as the car shifts through gears or swerving into corners. Road "noise" is also very well simulated, especially in the Dirt series as you can see from the video.

The real strength of the SimXperience chair is in the orientation part of it, obviously because this can be mapped 1 to 1 onto real life. For example, as you sit on the start line in Dirt 2 revving the engine, the torque from the engine tilts the car slightly; this is picked up perfectly by the 2DOF chair. Subtle, but extremely immersive. Also, when your left tire slips into the gutter at 75 mph your heart will know true panic. Jumping is another huge immersive kick, as you feel yourself tilting just a little too far to make the landing :)

What does 3d add to the experience? Oh just the feeling that you're looking out of an actual car window into an actual world that's spinning by at enormously unsafe speeds :)

A new update that just went into the SimXperience software is an ability to run a subwoofer via game telemetry through a secondary sound card. I have this setup with a buttkicker bolted onto my gas/brake/clutch pedal assembly. Through this I pick up engine vibration through the pedals, but also impacts and changes in road surface. I can't stress enough how important this is for immersion. I plan to add a second buttkicker to the chair in a future update.

Basically, if you know what the capabilities are, and can struggle through SimXperience's poor build instructions, I can tentatively recommend the 2DOF chair. At about a tenth or less the cost of competing products, and extremely low latency and high update rate, you won't be seeing a better at home simulation experience any time soon :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: First impressions of 3dVision + 2DOF Simxperience Motion

Post by cybereality »

Cool man!

So how much does the whole system cost?
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

cybereality wrote:Cool man!

So how much does the whole system cost?
Depends on what you want to count as part of the system. The motion sim part of it runs around $2000. The front end with the pc, tv, and wheel and 3dvision runs about the same, but I already had all the front end:)
http://simxperience.com/Products/Motion ... orKit.aspx

However, "off the shelf," 2DOF sims can run more like 50k
http://www.cxcsimulations.com/motion-pro/configurator/

Also chairs that just sit there and do nothing can run 1300$
http://kotaku.com/5807276/the-game-driv ... a-real-car

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with simxperience in any way.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Can you feel the rear tyre grip when drifting? I'm interested in motion sim for racing and space simulation such as FreeSpace which support head tracking but too bad no 3D as it is running on OpenGL.
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

pierreye wrote:Can you feel the rear tyre grip when drifting? I'm interested in motion sim for racing and space simulation such as FreeSpace which support head tracking but too bad no 3D as it is running on OpenGL.
No, unfortunately that's not possible with 2DOF, although the simxperience rig does have a 3DOF kit that you can add right on to the 2DOF one which will let you feel the rear tires lose traction. Also, they only support a handful of games officially. You'd have to go over the the X-SIM software to get FreeSpace.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Thanks for the info. I checked out their website on the 3 DOF but I don't understand if it can't spin 360 degrees, how can it simulate continuous drifting?
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

The only motion sim I'm aware of that can spin 360's is owned by NASA :P

Ironically the first pic I found on google was from another motion sim discussion in a post by cybereality.

The 3DOF does give you the initial sensation of slipping tires though.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Think I might go for stage 1 + the inertial slip. I'll get the rest to fabricate locally as shipping is expensive not mentioning import tax. Thanks for the heads up as this seem to be affordable and work as advertised.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”