VR while laying down

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

VR while laying down

Post by zalo »

We've hashed through the possibilities of skydiving and base jumping in another thread, but I think that we've just tapped the surface of what I consider to be a potentially universally accessible genre of VR game.

Activities while laying down could include skydiving, swimming, sliding, floating through space, surfing (going from swimming to catching a wave to standing up), street luging etc. The possibilities aren't endless, but they are enough to provoke some serious thought.

If no one is around to judge you, try laying down on your belly and imagining racing down some enormous slide. That you're actually moving dozens of miles per hour. Then try imagining what that would be like with GVS. Then try imagining a way to make it more comfortable :lol:

Do you have any ideas for VR while laying down?
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: VR while laying down

Post by FingerFlinger »

Oh, I don't have any lay-down VR ideas handy, but a sensory deprivation bath could be incredible with a good headset. You could feel like you're actually floating out in space, or flying, be a ghost...
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I think Lawnmower Man had the best representation of the possibilities of lie down VR...
Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

Lying down VR? That's best accompanied with a blow up doll.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I can think of a good use for lay-down VR but... erm... this is a family-friendly forum.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Have a look at "flogiston chair". I was going to post a link but google says the site has been hacked or something.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=60
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Wow! Chrome even warns me about the MTBS page (since it contains a link to that site). Strange.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”