pre-kickstarter funder thread

druidsbane
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: pre-kickstarter funder thread

Post by druidsbane »

My last contact about the pre-kickstarter was June last year, hehe... I really hope to hear something soon about them :)
Ibex 3D VR Desktop for the Oculus Rift: http://hwahba.com/ibex - https://bitbucket.org/druidsbane/ibex
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

We are doing something special. We don't want to send pre-Kickstarter backers any units from the pilot run, since there are a few tiny tweaks that are going into the main manufacturing run.

If you want to add more for extra units, refund the difference, refund the whole thing, take what you get, we can do it! Everyone will get taken care of.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

@PalmerTech

Are you planning on contacting everyone when you are ready, or should we shoot you an email with our choice? And if, for example, I wanted a 2nd dev kit, should I send you another payment through PayPal, or more probably, to Oculus?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

FingerFlinger wrote:@PalmerTech

Are you planning on contacting everyone when you are ready, or should we shoot you an email with our choice? And if, for example, I wanted a 2nd dev kit, should I send you another payment through PayPal, or more probably, to Oculus?
I plan on contacting everyone through their Paypal email address, probably using a dedicated @oculusvr.com email address to keep everything organized.
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

Can't wait, I think I would like to add money for the 2nd unit also!

thank you for the update
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

Hey guys, I found a tidbit of new info regarding pre-Kickstarter and the self-assembly kits. It isn't much different from what you've heard from Palmer, but it comes from a trusted source and might shed a bit more light on the fate of the ultra-early adopters!

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/02/06/ocul ... -kits-2399
German

Post by German »

benz145 wrote:Hey guys, I found a tidbit of new info regarding pre-Kickstarter and the self-assembly kits. It isn't much different from what you've heard from Palmer, but it comes from a trusted source and might shed a bit more light on the fate of the ultra-early adopters!

All that info came from this thread. :P
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

The circle of life.
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

German wrote:
benz145 wrote:Hey guys, I found a tidbit of new info regarding pre-Kickstarter and the self-assembly kits. It isn't much different from what you've heard from Palmer, but it comes from a trusted source and might shed a bit more light on the fate of the ultra-early adopters!

All that info came from this thread. :P
Gotta read a bit more closely ; P. But yes, the message is very similar. Just figured the pre-Kickstarter folks would like all the info they can get.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Hey guys - Rift backer #9 here: I finally got my Dev Kit today that I've been begging for for over a year, and all I had to do was change jobs and move to California to get it. :lol:

Damn I wish I could review it for you...but you will find out soon enough. ;)
moomin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by moomin »

Wow. Does it mean you and Cyber will work together now?
moomin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by moomin »

Looks like you wrote it already on Cybers big news topic.
Maan, congratulations to you.
So, now we know what happened with pieces from test run :)
Oculus have it for internal "test deathmatches" :lol:
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

brantlew: I think that's great! You and cyber both add great and useful pieces of the VR puzzle to the Rift. I still show off that video of you walking around with your laptop around skyrim and the GPS trace of your path to my friends :) I'm definitely looking forward to the rift hooked up to my laptop in a mesh backpack and the freedom/danger that it comes with :) congrats!
Ibex 3D VR Desktop for the Oculus Rift: http://hwahba.com/ibex - https://bitbucket.org/druidsbane/ibex
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

brantlew wrote:Hey guys - Rift backer #9 here: I finally got my Dev Kit today that I've been begging for for over a year, and all I had to do was change jobs and move to California to get it. :lol:

You just couldn't wait, could you... :)
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

Has anyone been contacted recently for these orders?
druidsbane

Post by druidsbane »

The most recent contact was Palmer's post on this thread saying we will be contacted officially by Oculus when they are ready :)
MSat

Post by MSat »

brantlew wrote:Hey guys - Rift backer #9 here: I finally got my Dev Kit today that I've been begging for for over a year, and all I had to do was change jobs and move to California to get it. :lol:

You're killing me!

GIVE ME RIFT, OR GIVE ME DEATH!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

brantlew wrote:... I finally got my Dev Kit today ... and all I had to do was change jobs and move to California to get it. :lol:
California? You got a surfboard yet?
And she's got her hands on a super high-tech pan-dimensional surfboard which she intends to ride on straight out into space using the power from the Rift.
Dr. Who, Series 1, Episode 11 "Boom Town":
http://http://tardisthoughts.blogspot.c ... -town.html

In this episode, the Rift is also used as the fuel source for the TARDIS. As in fiction, so it is in life. The Rift will let us travel in VR time and space. :P
Last edited by geekmaster on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

"The Rift will let us travel in VR time and space."

But what we really need is a way to time travel to Rift delivery day. Any ideas?
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

cryogenics
cartman waiting.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Any pre email updates for the pre-kickstarters?
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

Alkapwn wrote:Any pre email updates for the pre-kickstarters?
Not yet for me :(

But with yesterday's update @ http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... sts/414420

I am guessing we should have one soon!

Not sure if we are included int he "Oculus Partner Preview" or just soon before the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco March 25-29
German

Post by German »

sambeckett wrote: Not sure if we are included int he "Oculus Partner Preview" or just soon before the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco March 25-29
We're not. That program is most likely using the first run that Palmer specifically said is not going to those of us that pre-Kickstarted.
Mel

Post by Mel »

I gotta say that I'm feeling a bit anxious that the kick-starter crowd has been asked to confirm their shipping addresses, but we preemies have not.

I hope Palmer makes a shout-out in here to let us know when he's sent the promised emails to us so that i can get in touch with him if I don't receive anything. It's been a long, painful wait, and it would be a distressing thing to have my delivery screwed up by some bad book-keeping. :-)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@Mel: You should go to the sales page and see if your order is listed:
https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/

If not, we may have to make sure you are in the database. If you have a problem, please email: support@oculusvr.com and we can try to sort it out.
Mel

Post by Mel »

cybereality wrote:@Mel: You should go to the sales page and see if your order is listed:
https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/

If not, we may have to make sure you are in the database. If you have a problem, please email: support@oculusvr.com and we can try to sort it out.
Thanks, cyber.

Sure enough, I am not in the database. Sending email, as advised.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Yea not showing either so sent an email as well. Thanks for the info Cyber.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Oh, neither am I!
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

I never assumed that we would be showing up in there though. As I figured the pre-kickstarters probably aren't in the kickstarter database at all. Unless somebody entered them in separately.

Can anyone confirm as to whether or not we should be in that list? I made a $10 pledge on kickstarter as well, just to make sure I could see all of the updates and thought that maybe it would have put my e-mail address in there. But it appears that it might only be for those backers that pledged for tiers that have items that need shipping.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I can check on Monday where pre-Kickstarter people should be. I was under the impression that everyone would be in the database, but maybe pre-Kickstarter people are special.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Alkapwn wrote:I never assumed that we would be showing up in there though. As I figured the pre-kickstarters probably aren't in the kickstarter database at all. Unless somebody entered them in separately.

Can anyone confirm as to whether or not we should be in that list? I made a $10 pledge on kickstarter as well, just to make sure I could see all of the updates and thought that maybe it would have put my e-mail address in there. But it appears that it might only be for those backers that pledged for tiers that have items that need shipping.
I actually assumed like you and figured we wouldn't be in the list. However, since my last conversation with Palmer had been late last year and Cyber works for Oculus I figure sending in the email as he suggested seems like a good idea. Let's see what kind of response I get heh.
German

Post by German »

Alkapwn wrote:I never assumed that we would be showing up in there though. As I figured the pre-kickstarters probably aren't in the kickstarter database at all. Unless somebody entered them in separately.

Palmer told me via email last year that there would be a web interface for managing our orders. However, he also said he'd be contacting us directly about our orders in this thread a few pages ago and he had something special planned for us. I too am getting a little antsy with no contact from him yet and us being the ones that fronted the first $10k or so. I'm sure he'll take care of us but I do think we should get some priority over the Kickstarter folks.
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

I am also not in the list @ https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/

I also pledged 10$ to kick-starter so I could follow the progress.

Still waiting to be contacted! seems like time is getting close

my paypal log:
Business Name: Oculus (The recipient of this payment is Verified)
Email: palmertech@gmail.com

Business Contact Information
Customer Service URL: http://oculusvr.com
Customer Service Email: palmertech@gmail.com

Amount sent: -$500.00 USD
Fee amount: $0.00 USD
Net amount: -$500.00 USD

Date: Jun 14, 2012
Time: 01:04:36 EDT

Subject: MTBS3D forum members - Oculus Rift Kit
Note: my real name, my real address MTBS3D username = sambeckett Used for: 3d Games, 3d Movies
Funding Type: PayPal Balance and Instant Transfer
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Pre-Kickstarter orders are not currently in the main database. I have a separate list for you guys, expect a confirmation email tomorrow. :)
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

German wrote:I'm sure he'll take care of us but I do think we should get some priority over the Kickstarter folks.
Don't feel too superior. From reading that thread again, it was only available in the USA, and the users who chose not to do it thought they could support it on Kickstarter in a week or two for the same price, where it could be more useful by promoting the obscure Kickstarter and making it seem more successful early on. It's not purely a matter of some people making it successful and others only jumping on once it already was successful.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

2EyeGuy wrote:
German wrote:I'm sure he'll take care of us but I do think we should get some priority over the Kickstarter folks.
Don't feel too superior. From reading that thread again, it was only available in the USA, and the users who chose not to do it thought they could support it on Kickstarter in a week or two for the same price, where it could be more useful by promoting the obscure Kickstarter and making it seem more successful early on. It's not purely a matter of some people making it successful and others only jumping on once it already was successful.
Really that is how it went? Then why the heck are some making such a fuzz about it?
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

GeraldT wrote:Really that is how it went? Then why the heck are some making such a fuzz about it?
Well, sort of. I'm exaggerating a bit because I'm jealous ;) There were pre-kickstarters who had been supportive right from the start and wanting to contribute financially for a long time, and they contributed more money for a believed lesser product earlier, and have been looking forward to the Rift for longer than the rest of us, so they are understandably starting to get twitchy and anxious for their Rifts :). There were also a few people that wanted to get a pre-kickstarter but couldn't because they were from the wrong part of the world, and a few that wanted to support the Kickstarter instead.
German

Post by German »

2EyeGuy wrote: Well, sort of. I'm exaggerating a bit because I'm jealous ;)
Thanks for being honest. :) Yes, we sent money in June to Palmer vs. August for the Kickstarter(I too threw in $10 to follow it) for something like the original prototype and the minimum was $500. We've been promised a lot of extra stuff(Doom BFG, "first in line", refunds/additions, etc) but not a whole lot of tangible information. I know Palmer has been ridiculously busy and I don't have any animosity about how things have happened. It's coming down to the wire now though.

And by "priority" I simply meant that we should be squared away soon. Kickstarter folks have their orders in the system and they can track them and they know they're on the list to get them. Shipping is any day now and I think it's time we should be brought to at least the same level of support. It sounds like from Palmer that is going to happen starting tomorrow. :)
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

PalmerTech wrote:Pre-Kickstarter orders are not currently in the main database. I have a separate list for you guys, expect a confirmation email tomorrow. :)
Ok. I am now OFFICIALLY freaking out!! :woot It's like, here. So close I can smell the VR roses. Thanks again so much for the heads up Palmer!

He's making a list,
checking it twice,
gonna send out a VR device
Palmer's Rift is coming to town!

#BetterThanChristmas
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

German wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote: Well, sort of. I'm exaggerating a bit because I'm jealous ;)
Thanks for being honest. :) Yes, we sent money in June to Palmer vs. August for the Kickstarter(I too threw in $10 to follow it) for something like the original prototype and the minimum was $500. We've been promised a lot of extra stuff(Doom BFG, "first in line", refunds/additions, etc) but not a whole lot of tangible information. I know Palmer has been ridiculously busy and I don't have any animosity about how things have happened. It's coming down to the wire now though.

And by "priority" I simply meant that we should be squared away soon. Kickstarter folks have their orders in the system and they can track them and they know they're on the list to get them. Shipping is any day now and I think it's time we should be brought to at least the same level of support. It sounds like from Palmer that is going to happen starting tomorrow. :)
Ahh ... then go and fuzz with at least my blessing! :lol: I hope you guys will find a cool bonus that will make up for it!
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here

Return to “Oculus VR”