ASUS Auto-Stereo3D Gaming Laptop!!!

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

ASUS Auto-Stereo3D Gaming Laptop!!!

Post by cybereality »

ASUS, bringing out an auto-stereo gaming laptop?!? I'm I dreaming?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... 0&Itemid=1 (via NeoSeeker)
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

WTf?

3D or not the hardware rocks... And the with Stereo, im intersted, what driver they will use.. May the Nvidia one...
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Other than S3D, I'm thinking it would be great for work, set it up so that it displays your 'work' from the angle your boss would see your screen, and just sit a little the other side and be playing a game! lol
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

I don't really think autostereoscopic 3D displays are all that great for gaming. They basically work by preparing stereo pairs for a handful of possible viewing angles - so if the display has a 9-angle lens array, the resolution of each picture will be 9 times lower than the actual pixel resolution of the display panel!

In practice, there are some tricks - for example, Philipps WOWvx displays have a 9-view slanted lenticular lens array which has only a 3-fold decresase in viewing resolution, at the cost of reduced image clarity. Still, a 1920x1080px WOWvx panel actually shows you a 640x360px picture at each viewing angle! That's probably OK for advertisement panels which have to attract passers-by (who don't usually walk around wearing polarized stereo glasses), but I'd think any serious gamer would happily wear the glasses and have the resolution only halved in the worst case...
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I'd say these laptops will actually only have two images which are viewed through paralax barriers that would actually be a second LDC in fromt of the usual one, but with vertical bars only. A little speculation, but I don't think they would be helpfull if there was more then 2 images, given the processing requirements for two will be pushing it for these machines.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@DmitryKo: I think these screens just display 2 images and use some sort of parallax barrier to create the 3d effect. So the resolution per eye is 720 x 900, which is decent (especially for an auto-stereo 3d laptop!). It appears that the ASUS laptop is probably using the same OEM panels from CPT, and those reportedly have good viewing angles: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/3D-lap ... ,5662.html
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

The articles lack some information on how the screen works, using only one parallax barrier and having a wide viewing angle seems impossible, there must be a trick somewhere...

I may have an idea about how it could have a good viewing angle.
it's just a guess but how about this :
-the parallax barrier can move
-the computer uses the integrated webcam to detect the position of the user's face, and changes the parallax barrier orientation to match the position of the head of the user.
The viewing angle would be only limited to the viewing angle of the webcam, and only one user could see 3D at a time.

This wouldn't be acceptable on a big TV or on a big computer monitor, but for a 15" notebook i think it could work quite well...
Now we need some more info about this laptop to be sure...
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

BlackShark wrote:The articles lack some information on how the screen works, using only one parallax barrier and having a wide viewing angle seems impossible, there must be a trick somewhere...
I tend to agree. If there are only two images then the maximom viewing angle (in S3D) would be about 10 degrees. Maybe they use three images (half as much processing again as 2 screen) which could double the viewing angle to 20 degrees, but this would:
a) reduce the resolution to 480*900 Ick!!!
b) reduce the light coming from the screen to 1/4th

I guess someone will have to get one, test it and see... Or if anyone wants, they can buy one for me to test out!!! :lol:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I think the head-tracking could be a possibility, the laptops do have a webcam on them (but so do a lot of other laptops). However, we are assuming that their barrier is a just a 2D overlay. It could possibly have more advanced technology that we don't know about. I guess we will see more once some reviews come out.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

Having gone through three very expensive STRIKER EXTREME & STRIKER 2 EXTREME 780i and 790i sli mobo's in the last six months by Asus with a three-month and still unresolved RMA issues I'm afraid I would stay clear of anything by that manufacturer at the moment or until their after sales service improves in Europe. After your 30 day replacement warranty expires any issues require that the mobo go back to China, yes China, how's that for turning up the heat on global warming - :? . I'm just saying........"You have been warned"

Have a better one than me - LOL - :lol:
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”