Recommendations for headphones for HMD?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Recommendations for headphones for HMD?

Post by bobv5 »

It seems that binaural audio will be best for HMD. That can be done with an in-ear headphone and the ear modeling done by software, or a full size headphone and the users real ear. Does anyone here know which is currently most used?

I can't remeber who it was, but somebody said that they had problems with binaural always sounding like it was behind them. I have the same problem. Anybody know why this happens or how to fix it? I had abnormally big ears when I was a child, but think they are pretty normal now. (At least I hope so!)

Anyway, I want some new headphones. I'm not too bothered by overall sound quality (I have some nice speakers for music), I want something that will get the positioning right and will stay in place when I am moving around shooting monsters. I have no specific budget but the more they cost the longer I will have to wait to buy them, so hoping something around $50 will do the job.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
AndrewRyan
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Recommendations for headphones for HMD?

Post by AndrewRyan »

If you want good headphones, you can't get any better than the Logitech G930. I like them because they're wireless, freeing you from frayed internal wiring that comes from repetitive head motion, and over-ear, freeing you from ear pain that on-ear head phones cause you. Additionally, the sound quality is pretty good, the battery charge holds out for a solid 7+ hours, and it has a built in mic and sound equalizer.

All this being said, they are a bit pricey at 110 dollars. But, if you want quality that will last you a while, you can't get any better.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I tried the Psyko Carbon 5.1 surround sound headset. It was interesting, but ultimately not worth the $200 price (I sold it). However it did have very good surround sound, especially on games that had good 5.1 support (like Metro 2033). It did really feel more immersive. The only problem was that the audio quality itself was not great, and even $50 stereo headphones sounded better. Though I would still like a good surround headset if I could find one that was better (and more comfortable).
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

I've been really happy with my $250 Audio-Technica ATH-AD900, but it's probably (mostly definitely) overkill unless you really like open air headphones with a really nice soundstage...but man they sound so sweet. They are corded so not sure if i'll want another cord to worry about, I guess it depends how the final system ends up.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Cheers guys.

I ordered Meelectronics M6. The audiophile guys described the soundstage and sound quality as "acceptable", which means it is probably going to be be amazing to me. Perhaps not, but it is cheap enough to use as walking around headphones if it doesn't do the job I want it for.

AndrewRyan
"freeing you from ear pain that on-ear head phones cause you"
Completly agree. I hate that type of headphone. Unfortunatly I use that type a lot as I bought them by accident. My own fault but was not happy.
"I like them because they're wireless"
Noooo! I don't want wireless. I'm using some pretty crazy electonics hooked up to the audio system for haptic effects. Wireless would be no use to me.

Cyber, I remember when you bought them. I think multichannel headphones are not the right way to solve this problem. I really think as long as the headphones are good enough it is a software problem.

defactoman
$250 is too much. I hope to get something like that one day, but if I had $250 to spend I wouldn't buy headphones. Just put $300 on a project that is quite popular on this site, and now I have to eat cheapo noodles and drink cheapo cider until I have payed off the credit card bill.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I been seriously thinking about getting these singing star headphones, http://www.proaudio.com/product_info.ph ... ts_id=5780

Maybe not till next year or so though.
AT_M2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
DH1900
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DH1900 »

Dom wrote:I been seriously thinking about getting these singing star headphones, http://www.proaudio.com/product_info.ph ... ts_id=5780

Maybe not till next year or so though.
AT_M2.jpg
You could save an awful lot of money with a Bluetooth headphone adapter like the Sony mw600 and some nice shure earphones. Even the SE215 is great.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Recieved the M6. Struggled to get a proper fit, but now I am reasonably impressed with the sound. With equalization I'm not sure how something could sound better. (Not had them for long, might change my mind with more listening)
Not impressed with the build quality.The wire is horrible. I assumed it would be the same silicon stuff they use on cheapo mobile-phone headphones, but it is not. Also, the included small tri-flange ear buds are dangerous. They fell off and got wedged in my ear canals. It is lucky I am not the type to panic, and that I had a pair of long, round nosed, tweezers on hand to remove them. Otherwise it would have meant a trip to the hospital.
Last edited by bobv5 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hmm.. that sounds kind of scary.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

It was a bit. No real harm could have happened, but sitting around a hospital for hours is boring.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

What do you guys think about the 'Cooler Master CM Storm Sirus S':
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826570018

They have 3 speakers and a sub in each ear, and the price is decent at $80.

EDIT: Just found this showdown with a few different headsets:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sur ... 25-12.html

And the Corsair Vengeance 1500 looks pretty nice actually (and was recommend by toms hardware):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826816005
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I think one of the best ways to feeling inside the game is to have your stereo on medium volume, not to loud and have headphones with higher volume. That way you are entraped by the sound and the sub, you can feel it better. Trust me its surreal.

Also some games do work with ffdshow audio, with 5.1, 7.1 to stereo out compressor.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@Dom: That doesn't seem like it would work well with head-tracking since the sound from the speakers would be in a different and fixed orientation relative to your head. I guess if you adjusted the stereo system to just play the deep lows then that would be cool.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”