360 degree Head Tracker

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
krassyg
One Eyed Hopeful

360 degree Head Tracker

Post by krassyg »

I am looking for a head tracker with a 360 degree range of motion. It will be used with the Sony HMZ-T1 exclusively for flight simulations. I don't want to use the TrackIR 5 because I want to have the actual range of motion in a cockpit. Can you guys recommend a solution?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 360 degree Head Tracker

Post by cybereality »

The TrackIR seems like a good option for you. Can you explain more about why you don't like it?
krassyg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by krassyg »

In a dogfight you need to be able to look all around you and trackir has only about 40 degrees fov. I understand that I can calibrate it to give me a full 360 degree, but it is not realistic, since I am actually only moving 10-20 degree. I want to do it the right way; I'll probably just end up modding the Razer Hydra or wait for the Cinemizer tracker. I have been waiting for a working VR headset that I can afford since the VFX 3D. Flying Comanche 3 with it is still one of the greatest gaming experiences that I remember.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

This is a pretty big topic, but this old thread can get you started. It's a bit out-of-date but mostly still relevant. Also check into GlovePIE or FreePIE support of trackers.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... er+Roundup
airons1972
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by airons1972 »

I have used the original i-glasses pc HMD on and off since around 2000. For some reason my tracker stopped working and i looked around at all the available options and decided to simply buy a 2.4ghz wireless air mouse off ebay for 17 pounds (UK). I attached this to the side (arm) of my i-glasses hmd with a couple of elastic straps and it works amazing.

Basically any game that has mouselook, you simply press the middle button on the Air Mouse and it takes over. Full head tracking with virtually no lag.

This is the air mouse i use as a head tracker.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-2-4GHz- ... 19d52b6e96

Hope this helps someone.
krassyg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by krassyg »

That is a great idea! How bad is the drift on this solution?
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

The gyro mouse solution is a good one, but the problem with mice and mouse emulation is drift. With TrackIR, looking straight ahead is always straight ahead. With uncorrected gyros, gyro mice, etc, you eventually get drift in at least one axis, requiring you to recenter regularly.

I think some combo of TrackIR and a gyro sensor may be the best for now (if you wanted to write your own sensor fusion for it), that or doing fusion between a Hydra and a gyro.
krassyg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by krassyg »

Can't I just use the hydra? I plan on hot gluing it to full size headphones use it with the st1080.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

krassyg wrote:Can't I just use the hydra? I plan on hot gluing it to full size headphones use it with the st1080.
You can but the Hydra is best for games that support 6 degrees of freedom - otherwise it's a bit of an overkill solution, it's cumbersome to mount, and it's wired. So if you just want 3 DOF mouse-emulation type behavior then an IMU device is going to be easier to deal with. Wiimote, Hillcrest, Sparkfun, iPhone, etc... take your pick. They all have similar behavior with some caveats. Lots of info in this forum about these devices.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The Hillcrest Labs unit might be a good choice for you since it has a built-in mouse-emulation mode that would work similar to air-mice.
krassyg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by krassyg »

brantlew wrote:
krassyg wrote:Can't I just use the hydra? I plan on hot gluing it to full size headphones use it with the st1080.
You can but the Hydra is best for games that support 6 degrees of freedom - otherwise it's a bit of an overkill solution, it's cumbersome to mount, and it's wired. So if you just want 3 DOF mouse-emulation type behavior then an IMU device is going to be easier to deal with. Wiimote, Hillcrest, Sparkfun, iPhone, etc... take your pick. They all have similar behavior with some caveats. Lots of info in this forum about these devices.
The main use of the head tracking would be for DCS flight simulations, which support 6DOF. Being wired is not a problem, I will have a dedicated "cockpit".

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”