Displaying 2D content on the Rift

WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Displaying 2D content on the Rift

Post by WiredEarp »

Hi guys

Can someone take a look at this link and let me know if you think it could work to display 2D content on a Rift?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hdmi-1-4a- ... 45?item=10

This is the part that I think is relevant:

Convert 2D contents to SBS-H 3D format to work with 3D TV / projector, with 6 levels finetune
- HDMI 1.4a input and output, compatible with HDMI 1.3/1.2/1.1

I'm thinking we might be able to use it to convert a 2D feed into a SBS feed.

Unfortunately it doesn't support anything but HDMI but theres the possibility of chaining another adapter into the inputs to do this (like a composite to HDMI adaptor), such as this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cvbs-compo ... 934?item=2

There are also other, cheaper versions which also look similar:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/td20-2d-mo ... 51?item=16

Im hopeful that with a setup like this I could use the Rift to give me 90 degree FPV flight. That would be mean :)
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Displaying 2D content on the Rift

Post by Namielus »

WHen you are in controll of a rc-flyer, how much latency can you get away with?
Between the wireless transfer and convertions, it might be significant.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
foisi
Cross Eyed!

Post by foisi »

I think this device applies a 2D -> 3D conversion algorithm (as you can find in some 3D tv) and it may introduce a significant latency during the process (because several consecutive images are needed to estimate the depth of objects in the scene)

for FPV I think it would be better to use a composite capture card plugged into a laptop with a software that display the video (Rift-warped and duplicated) in SBS
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I already use one composite converter, don't really notice any significant lag at all.

Assuming that the lag is one frame per converter, then it would only work out to 33ms lag for 2 converters. Of course, that is assuming its only one frame per converter...

Foisi, I dont see how a capture card on a notebook would be any quicker than a hardware device doing exactly the same thing? The signal is still going to have to be scanned (probably a frame) then displayed in SBS which will probably require another frames delay. Plus this setup is much simpler in terms of hardware and cost.

@ Nameilus, I fly currently with one converter and notice no lag at all. Really, FPV is probably better off in this regard, since you dont have processing lag to generate the frame on top of everything, unlike games. Its possible however i'm just not that sensitive to lag, I usually use an old 9CHP RC transmitter that some say has noticable lag to it itself, yet I notice no difference between it and my DX7.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Hmm.. sounds interesting. Even if the 3D conversion is so-so (and it probably is) you can likely turn the depth down to zero and have an almost 2D effect. And the price is OK.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I think only tweak needed to display 2D content properly on RIFT is

To keep partition between the two lenses retractable (like a button which is connected with multi flap partition which can retract back or a solid plastic curtain which can be rolled back for 2D viewing) and then keep optics hot swappable like mounted in tray which can be removed

so that optics with less power can be used for 2d viewing though they will provide less magnification but i think then distortion or fish eye effect can also be minimized or totally ruled out by low power lenses as RIFT has only one display which can easily do at 720P and as both eye can see picture ment for each eye and there are no two physical part of display single display can provide single image for two eyes like any normal monitor does.

I think then it will also work good for SBS 3d movies by keeping partition again but it will look little vertical stretched if not compensated by wrapper (don't know can wrapping shader wrap movies too?)

won't it work?

Return to “Oculus VR”