Simulating a resolution/FoV

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
DH1900
One Eyed Hopeful

Simulating a resolution/FoV

Post by DH1900 »

Can I please get an appraisal of my methodology for simulating a specific HMD?

I first scale the video to the resolution of the HMD I'm trying to simulate and have the rest of the screen displaying black, I then measure the diagonal size of the image and using the formula
viewer distance = (screenwidth)/(2*tan(FOV/2))
put my eye at that distance from the screen. I'm pretty sure this gives a reasonable idea of how a specific HMD will appear.

So, for example, the Zeiss Cinemizer has a FoV of 30 degrees and a resolution of 870x500 which is a diagonal size of 25cm when displayed natively on my monitor. 25/(2*tan(15)) = 46.7 cm viewing distance. What this has shown me is that I find 30 degrees to be quite comfortable for viewing movies and that much more than 45 becomes uncomfortable.

Funnily enough, I found this quote from Zeiss which might explain their choice of FoV and intended audience when doing research I think the bit about resolution and ppi is a bit of a cop out though:

Code: Select all

Hi Anchal, imagine sitting in the front row of a theatre: In order to see everything that is happening on screen, you would have to keep moving your eyes and head around constantly. The reason why we decided on a 30 degrees field of view wi
th the cinemizer OLED is that we want to offer its users a maximum level of comfort - without them having to strain their eyes. :) Many people who were not able to try the cinemizer OLED themselves yet are sceptical at first when they read about the resolution of 870 x 500 pixels. However: That's the resolution of each of the two displays, which also offer a pixel density of 2500 ppi. At this year's CeBIT, thousands of visitors experienced the cinemizer OLED for the very first time and - despite the occasional scepticism - were absolutely convinced afterwards. To cut a long story short: Give the cinemizer OLED a try! Maybe at the IFA 2012 in August! :)
If what I'm doing isn't some how representative of how an actual HMD would behave, please do tell me.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Simulating a resolution/FoV

Post by cybereality »

I can tell you that 30 degrees will be like looking at a 22" monitor from around 2 feet distance. Its really not that large or immersive. For playing videos it would probably be adequate, but not really amazing by any means. The Sony HMZ-T1 is a good screen size, at around 51 degree FOV. Going larger than that for video content probably is not necessary, but for gaming and VR it does help.
DH1900
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Simulating a resolution/FoV

Post by DH1900 »

cybereality wrote:I can tell you that 30 degrees will be like looking at a 22" monitor from around 2 feet distance. Its really not that large or immersive. For playing videos it would probably be adequate, but not really amazing by any means. The Sony HMZ-T1 is a good screen size, at around 51 degree FOV. Going larger than that for video content probably is not necessary, but for gaming and VR it does help.
I think I need to revise my calculations, I would have made that looking at a 22" monitor from 41 inches or 3.42 feet. Thanks for the correction. Could it be that the lenses make FoV with a physical screen and FoV on an HMD appear slightly different?

Thank you.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”